Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2014, 07:55   #1
God Member

well this is what the EU has done to this country in a nutshell

things have now got so bad now that if you try and help your community even in a small way and dedicate your time and effort to make your bit of the world a better place you can now be brabded a criminal .I really do hate to quote mass paragraphs from websites especially teh daily mail so i will copy a bit and its up to you if you want to read any more about how pathetic this country has become ..

Elf 'n' safety brigade call in police after grandad tidies up brambles on footpath | Mail Online

Quote:
When pensioner Jim Higgins decided to clear the brambles from a footpath at the bottom of his garden, he was only trying to help.
Many of his neighbours stopped by to thank the former police officer for all his work – which saw him replace a dilapidated fence and build a seat for weary walkers.
But not everyone was so delighted by the grandfather’s efforts. Soon Sustrans, the charity which owns the footpath, announced that they had health and safety concerns over his homemade bench.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2014, 08:13   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: well this is what the EU has done to this country in a nutshell

Thats just about the state of things these days!! But i fail to understand what its got to do with the E.U.? Much as i hate it i cant see, please explain.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 17-05-2014, 08:20   #3
Full Member+

Nothing like this surprises me any more. Common sense doesn't come in to it when people are so fixed on following orders (who does that sound like?). It's like we're becoming a Nazi state. He's done nothing to hurt anyone but is now worried sick he'll get a conviction. He wants to turn the tables and sue the owners of the land for the injury to his dogs skull after it was impaled on a spike in the undergrowth of their land.
cashman likes this.
Old 17-05-2014, 12:01   #4
Senior Member+

Looks like this charity has done a lot of good work in the past, it's a shame when they get things so badly wrong I only hope someone at Sustrans is big enough to come out and admit they got this one badly wrong and apologise
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 12:19   #5
Super Moderator

Sheer stupidity but like Cashy, can't quite see where the EU connection comes in. As in so many cases like this, it's the way the regulations are interpreted and in this respect, there seems to have been a lack of common sense on the charity's part.
Old 17-05-2014, 12:40   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

As i recall,the Health @ Safety Regs came into play in 1972? was that not before our E.U. membership? Seem to think twas 73 when we were conned into membership?

Last edited by cashman; 17-05-2014 at 12:42.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 13:03   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just another example of petty officialdom, overbearing pomposity & risk aversion that is now an everyday depressing reality of life within a once respected & commonsense Country.
Eric likes this.
Old 17-05-2014, 13:09   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats just about the state of things these days!! But i fail to understand what its got to do with the E.U.? Much as i hate it i cant see, please explain.

i may be mistaken but dosnt the health and safety insanity come from the EU and their silly regualtions

i thought newer health and safety regualtions came form teh sam p owers that be that over rule our judges etc

still the EU has so much to answer for i dont feel the need to appologise to teh EU if i have pointed teh finger at them in haste

theres so many agencies or departments at play these day that have been merged or overtaken by other organisations its diffucult to see where the stupidity began and who is to blame

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 17-05-2014 at 13:11.
Old 17-05-2014, 13:23   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

No twas never to do wi the E.U. as far as i'm aware, was a good system,cocked up by our own do-gooders,i was involved in it from 77 fer oer 20 yrs n could easily see the way things were going, its not just health n safety, theres all sorts of stuff our own lots cocked up, idiots are not just the E.U.s property.
Old 17-05-2014, 13:31   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

The EU certainly pumps out huge amounts of effluent in the form of diktats & rulings, but their implemented is mainly down to a Countries governance at the time. The highlighted article, like so many that regularly appear within the press are more down to a company/agencies "Putting the umbrella up" than actual rulings. And all this down to another inherent rampaging everyday evil, the "Compo Culture"! Ambulance chasing lawyers after a quick buck & those who see all their woes as the fault of someone else!

Can't quite say when it all began, but a large majority of a once proud, valiant, defiant & self assured nation has slowly turned into a repulsive mass of whining, mewling, spineless pussies! The "Make do & mend!" & "By god you're an Englishman!" mentality has gone from these shores & left in its wake, an insipid approximation of what once was.
Old 17-05-2014, 13:32   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
No twas never to do wi the E.U. as far as i'm aware, was a good system,cocked up by our own do-gooders,i was involved in it from 77 fer oer 20 yrs n could easily see the way things were going, its not just health n safety, theres all sorts of stuff our own lots cocked up, idiots are not just the E.U.s property.

i honestly thought it was a case of a decent idea been ruined by having to adopt EU guide lines.A bit like how our laws or some of them at least work perfectly fine until somone runs to the european court and gets away with murder for example

the CPS / crown prosecution service should rule this as not in teh public interest to prosecute

so whos idea was it to make our troops wear camoflauge with a high viz jacket over it for safety reasons over in afghanistan it must be teh same lot of idiots

Old 17-05-2014, 19:52   #12

To be honest the bench he has made doesn't look like it will stand up to public use !
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 01:07   #13
God Member

lol some people on here would be the first to complain if they fell on their bun lol sensationalist reporting if it wasnt for health and safety a lot of people would be dead.
Old 18-05-2014, 07:34   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
lol some people on here would be the first to complain if they fell on their bun lol sensationalist reporting if it wasnt for health and safety a lot of people would be dead.
Another example of sheer stupidity, please highlight what exactly yer referring too, sorry fer posing yeh a difficult challenge.
Old 18-05-2014, 07:46   #15
God Member

lol its a fact if most health and safety rules were not implemented there would be deaths ie fire exits, bars on windows, protective head gear, even simple little ones like hand guards on cloth cutters . its astounding that people say there is too much health and safety. the biggest problem is how people read them with no common sense and then people try to implement them in the most stupid way lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..