Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2011, 15:24   #1
Senior Member+

Welsh Mine Deaths

As I write, three of the four miners missing down the Welsh Mine have been found dead.

A great tragedy for all the families involved, of course. And my condolences go out to them.

I was surprised to hear that, in 2011, there are still people employed to go down mines in the UK. I thought we'd moved on from that sort of thing years ago.

If the owners of the mine can put their hands on their hearts and say that the four men were working in complete accordance with the Health and Safety Act 1974 and subsequent regulations, there is nothing more to be said.

If they can't, they must face the full wrath of the law. And that includes corporate manslaughter.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-09-2011, 15:58   #2

Re: Welsh Mine Deaths

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 4th miner will be found dead. They didn't really stand a chance.

My heart goes out to the 3 dead miners and their families.

May they RIP.
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 16:03   #3
Resting in Peace

condolences to all the miners families.... :
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 16:14   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
As I write, three of the four miners missing down the Welsh Mine have been found dead.

A great tragedy for all the families involved, of course. And my condolences go out to them.

I was surprised to hear that, in 2011, there are still people employed to go down mines in the UK. I thought we'd moved on from that sort of thing years ago.

If the owners of the mine can put their hands on their hearts and say that the four men were working in complete accordance with the Health and Safety Act 1974 and subsequent regulations, there is nothing more to be said.

If they can't, they must face the full wrath of the law. And that includes corporate manslaughter.
thats summat ive be wondering since the accident happened, due to fact it was a very small concern only employing 9 miners,or so the report said, its always been a hazardous job,n my sincere condolences to the familys n friends involved.
Old 16-09-2011, 16:27   #5

Isn't one of the four the owner of the mine?
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 17:15   #6
Senior Member+

No happy ending here, the fourth has just been confirmed as found dead. My condolences to their families.
Old 16-09-2011, 17:41   #7
Resting in Peace

A very sad day for the families concerned RIP
Old 16-09-2011, 19:13   #8

Yes it,s very sad news
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 20:13   #9
Beacon of light

I feel sad for the families that tonight are without their father/brother/son.
May they rest in peace and may their families find the comfort they need.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 20:18   #10
JCB

Thanks to the lads we so easily take for granted .

And thanks to their wives , parents , children , brothers , sisters , etc. who always know that this might happen to their own .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 22:07   #11
Senior Member+

If the deaths of these four miners is to mean anything, the government should put an IMMEDIATE ban on any commercial mine employee going anywhere near a mine until a full certificate of safety has been issued by the Health and Safety Executive.

And if any mine owner says that is not practical, the mine should be forcibly closed forthwith.

I feel a sense of betrayal from the government that in 2011, I'm being asked to grieve for miners killed carrying out a commercial operation to extract "valuable" anthrocite.

That sort of thing belongs in Dickensian times!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 00:13   #12

Sad times, loving comfort to all concerned
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 06:39   #13
Beacon of light

Quote:
If the deaths of these four miners is to mean anything, the government should put an IMMEDIATE ban on any commercial mine employee going anywhere near a mine until a full certificate of safety has been issued by the Health and Safety Executive.

And if any mine owner says that is not practical, the mine should be forcibly closed forthwith.

I feel a sense of betrayal from the government that in 2011, I'm being asked to grieve for miners killed carrying out a commercial operation to extract "valuable" anthrocite.

That sort of thing belongs in Dickensian times!
With the greatest respect, I would suggest that you are not being asked to do anything. If you want to grieve for these men, out of compassion then you will do so....if you feel that you cannot grieve because of any ineptitude of the government, then that is sad.
I feel sympathy for the families and grieve for the men because that is my nature.

Men will do what they have to do to suppport their families.

If there has ben an infringement of the law then I'm sure the HSE will investigate and the person or persons responsible will have to face the consequences of law for these deaths.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 09:19   #14
God Member

We all of us stand on the edge of the grave, tossed here and there, like a storm beaten wave, we don't know for a second, or scarcely a breath, one hour in life, the next one in death. How often we hear of men losing their lives, leaving in sorrow, their children and wives, but as sure as the tide to eternity rolls, there's sweet rest in heaven, for poor colliery souls

taken from http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/htmp...t_Abercarn.htm
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 09:29   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

I was surprised to hear that, in 2011, there are still people employed to go down mines in the UK. I thought we'd moved on from that sort of thing years ago
Quote:

no-ones asking yeh to grieve but most decent people will feel very sad that working lads lost their lives, n if yer surprised that people still work in mines in the U.K. yer obviously on another planet.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..