Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2006, 15:02   #16
God Member

Re: Were They Right To Object?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
You'd better pray thay Jim Bowen doesn't turn to terrorism by throwing about poisened darts...otherwise you may find yourself shunned by the general public.
Otherwise known as the garinda backpeddle... maybe a smile in the first one wouldn't then need to pretend its all a joke in this one
Old 23-08-2006, 15:06   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Otherwise known as the garinda backpeddle... maybe a smile in the first one wouldn't then need to pretend its all a joke in this one
My first comment in this thread wasn't a joke, but a serious observation about how everyone can be mistaken, hence no smiley.

The second post had one because Tealeaf is infact young enough to be Jim Bowen's son despite the striking similarity. (Smiley.)

Apparently the two men asked to leave the flight have taken it all in good grace according to the press.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 15:11   #18
God Member

Quote:
Er..... did they know that he was an illegal immigrant at the time? I suspect not, because they thought he was a terrorist, when infact he wasn't, when they shot to kill on a crowded tube at Stockwell.

His crime?

Wearing a leather jacket and being a bit dusky skinned on a warm day. A bit like the two men who were asked to leave the plane in Malaga.

It takes a ****** to know a ****** old boy.
Bollocks.

a) The tube was not crowded. He had a seat and a surveillance officer took the seat next to him

b) When his watcher saw his armed colleagues follow through the tube door, he reached back and grabbed Menzies from behind, at the same time as he and his colleagues shouted warnings to the Brazilian

c) Menzies decided to ignore the warnings and struggle, assuming that the cops would not shoot. Well, it was not his lucky day. If he had gone quietly no doubt he would have been charged with no more than being an illegal, let loose after 2 hours and would probably be sunning himself now on the Coppa Cubanna, having spent a couple of years in the UK earning on the lump and paying no tax.

d) I seem to recall that shortly after the news breaking, stating on here that it would not take more than a few hours for the trendy civil rights shoot-to-kill mob to emerge from their slimey pits. Of course, I was right, but little did I expect them still to be rabbiting on about it over a year later.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 23-08-2006 at 15:15.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 15:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
You really are a total ****** at times, Rindy. Do you know how many people were shot by the cops in Britain last year? About half a dozen - with only two or three fatally. This contrasts with a ten times that number in Spain, France and Germany.

I suspect your not-so-subtle reference is to that dodgy Brazilian, who no doubt had he been in this country legally would not have struggled when confronted by armed police and thus would still be alive today.
Not wanting to get dragged into this too much, but I think you are being harsh on the Brazilian.
The cops in his country shoot young men a LOT. I'm not surprised he ran away at all and expect he would have done so if he was a fully paid up member of society, especially given how the Met are prone to react to things (I live in London and am happy to give examples of over zealous armed police. Two weeks after the poor Brazilian I had 4 SO-19 goons pointing guns at me.)

It's an interesting contrast with other European countries, but their even worse performances should not be used as justification for poor policing on our doorstep. (Well, in that case MY doorstep, 4 balaclavad cops pointing an assortment of firearms at my head)
CusCus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 15:39   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CusCus
Not wanting to get dragged into this too much, but I think you are being harsh on the Brazilian.
The cops in his country shoot young men a LOT. )
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The simple fact is the cops in this country do not shoot people 'alot'. The stats show that for themselves. we may well see more armed cops on the streets, but unless you want to pick a fight with 'em or violently resist arrest in the middle of an anti-terrorist operation, you are unlikely to be shot.

Brazilian cops shoot thousands each year, many just unarmed children.
Old 23-08-2006, 15:50   #21

Quote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The simple fact is the cops in this country do not shoot people 'alot'. The stats show that for themselves. we may well see more armed cops on the streets, but unless you want to pick a fight with 'em or violently resist arrest in the middle of an anti-terrorist operation, you are unlikely to be shot.

Brazilian cops shoot thousands each year, many just unarmed children.

Read, read, read,.....
I said HIS country not THIS country................feel free to re-read my post and retract your wrongwrongwrong! I never said anything about the cops in this country shooting people a lot. So, nowt to argue about!

ps the pass mark for SO-19 is 70%........I really hope they don't get things wrong 30% of the time.

There were 5 police shootings (ie shooting at other people) since the IPCC was set up (april 04) to the IPCC meeting the family of the poor lad in August 2005. At least one was in error, so that's 20%. The stats and simple facts show that for themselves, as you say

Brazilian cops shoot thousands each year, many heavily armed children (doesn't make it right, obviously)

Last edited by CusCus; 23-08-2006 at 15:59.
CusCus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 15:59   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CusCus

Read, read, read,.....
I said HIS country not THIS country................feel free to re-read my post and retract your wrongwrongwrong!

ps the pass mark for SO-19 is 70%........I really hope they don't get things wrong 30% of the time
Ooops.......there was a bit of mushy pea on the screen before the 'h'.I thought it was a T..

Anyway, 70% is X amount within the chest at 30 metres, within a set time frame; the odd ones astray don't rally matter, providing they hit nowt else.
Old 23-08-2006, 17:04   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:

a) The tube was not crowded. He had a seat and a surveillance officer took the seat next to him

There were forty eight people in the carriage when he was shot at Stockwell station, including a woman in the next seat who gave evidence that he wasn't warned by the people who were following him, or the man that shot him.

Fact is so much more interesting than supposition.

Old 23-08-2006, 17:09   #24
God Member

Have we all got off the plane and now on a train ? Old argument surely.. Can't we have fun with the new one?
Old 23-08-2006, 17:11   #25
God Member

Quote:
Fact is so much more interesting than supposition.
Its hardly fact just because you wrote it on accyweb.. if anyone wants to state something is fact then they should show it is fact... play fair rinders

Ding dong....
Old 23-08-2006, 17:14   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Have we all got off the plane and now on a train ? Old argument surely.. Can't we have fun with the new one?

Although the people were frightened by the two men on the plane, the fact is they were wrong, they weren't terrorists.

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm ruddy faced and fair haired as I too am about to go on holiday, and have often been observed acting 'weirdly'.

Old 23-08-2006, 17:21   #27
God Member

Quote:
Although the people were frightened by the two men on the plane, the fact is they were wrong, they weren't terrorists.

I would argue that they where not wrong.. They formed an opinion that was wrong.. But there actions based on that opinion is the point surely.. and there actions based on that opinion I would say was right and one I would take.. IF the pilot or whoever told us all no.. the two men are not being asked to leave then its my choice to carry on traveling or leave.
Old 23-08-2006, 17:23   #28
God Member

Having just read the question again it states the passengers demanded they be allowed to leave.. Not the two men not allowed to fly... Which was it?
Old 23-08-2006, 17:49   #29
Always EVIL within us

Hey CusCus, nice one, I also read "this" instead of "his" that was sneaky, but I liked it - Can I ask you this one question please?

You have been working ALL year, and its finally time for your hols As you board the plane, and as an experienced pilot! you notice two Asians acting "strangely." Would you:

1) Bring the matter up with one of the aircraft crew?

2) Talk it over with other passengers that have also noticed?

3) Say, "Come on kids, no holiday for you this year, we are getting off!"

4) Or think, "All's safe, nobody would dare bomb a plane that I am on"

Of course, I don't know if you are married, have kids or whatever, but if you are, you should know that your families safety is paramount, Now, WOULD you happily get your family on board this flight??
Old 23-08-2006, 17:54   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Hey CusCus, nice one, I also read "this" instead of "his" that was sneaky, but I liked it - Can I ask you this one question please?

You have been working ALL year, and its finally time for your hols As you board the plane, and as an experienced pilot! you notice two Asians acting "strangely." Would you:

1) Bring the matter up with one of the aircraft crew?

2) Talk it over with other passengers that have also noticed?

3) Say, "Come on kids, no holiday for you this year, we are getting off!"

4) Or think, "All's safe, nobody would dare bomb a plane that I am on"

Of course, I don't know if you are married, have kids or whatever, but if you are, you should know that your families safety is paramount, Now, WOULD you happily get your family on board this flight??

Would you ever take your family to London, or Madrid on that same proviso?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..