Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2006, 17:59   #31
God Member

Re: Were They Right To Object?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Would you ever take your family to London, or Madrid on that same proviso?
Unfair... If in London or Madrid and saw someone acting suspicious etc then you have same scenario... You can argue would you step foot out of the house on the same proviso ... What happened on the plane was real to those that where present... You can't then say to them why where you going on holiday or leaving the safety of your own home...... take it all the way.. home isn't safe blah blah
Old 23-08-2006, 18:01   #32
Resting in Peace

These two were obviously two wind up merchants seeking attention and meaning to cause disruption for the 'hell' of it. Well, it worked, would have worked with me too ... these nutters could have done anything on the flight, although not actually intended to blow it to smithereens.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 18:02   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Unfair... If in London or Madrid and saw someone acting suspicious etc then you have same scenario... You can argue would you step foot out of the house on the same proviso ... What happened on the plane was real to those that where present... You can't then say to them why where you going on holiday or leaving the safety of your own home...... take it all the way.. home isn't safe blah blah

It's not at all unfair. Ask anyone who has to use the transport systems in those two cities every day. The same fears, often unfounded, surface every day.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 18:46   #34
Senior Member+

I am off to Spain in a couple of weeks and am happy to fly with my daughter.These 2 lads may have been wind-up merchants but at the end of the day the passengers on the plane overreacted. I fully understand the heightened awareness on transport at the moment but surely this is going too far;would the same have happened if a Sikh or an Arab had been on a plane,wearing a jacket and speaking his mother tongue ? I think not.
Old 23-08-2006, 20:11   #35
God Member

A question for you in the 70's, 80's and 90's how many of you got on a plane with a person with an irish accent? Everybody did. How many of them do you think were members of the UVF, INLA and IRA etc? You dont know you might have been sat next to IRA chief of staff or the top bomber you just dont know but how many times did people refuse to get on a flight because there was someone with an irish accent sat next to them?

By the way about the 2 asian lads if theyd took their jackets off when they got on the plane and put them in the overhead lockers would the people have not objected? You will have had to have been there to see it first hand before you could really say yes i would have objected or no i wouldnt. We can only surmise from what the people have said in the papers and on the news when they came back.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 20:17   #36
Senior Member+

My shop is full of these "terrorists" on a daily basis. Should I ask all males of asian origin between the ages of 19-40 who speak in their own language and wear a jacket to leave the store? Let's get a grip here.
Old 23-08-2006, 21:24   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
My shop is full of these "terrorists" on a daily basis. Should I ask all males of asian origin between the ages of 19-40 who speak in their own language and wear a jacket to leave the store? Let's get a grip here.
Lindsey, what I was trying to say was that they 'meant' to create an image of being terrorists, it was engineered for a 'thrill'; that is the difference, and anybody who would do that is obviously mentally disturbed and would create further mayhem on the flight to receive attention which could be dangerous, and quite rightly evicted from the flight.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 21:42   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Er..... did they know that he was an illegal immigrant at the time? I suspect not, because they thought he was a terrorist, when infact he wasn't, when they shot to kill on a crowded tube at Stockwell.

His crime?

Wearing a leather jacket and being a bit dusky skinned on a warm day. A bit like the two men who were asked to leave the plane in Malaga.

It takes a ****** to know a ****** old boy.

Haha. I did laugh at the original post about the being shot thing.. BUT I have to disagree with you on this post. And agree with Tealeaf.

His crime wasnt wearing a leather jacket and being a bit dusky skinned. His crime was, aswell as a suspect of terrorism, jumping the barriers of the Tube station, a WEEK after the 7/7 attacks.. running from Police, when instructed to stop. Running onto a Tube train attempting to escape. Not only that, but he wasnt even supposed to be in this country.

It was his OWN fault he was shot if you ask me. Or this country will never crack down on terrorism. Brazillian or not, a week after the 7/7 attacks, you do NOT act like that, jumping barriers etc. What do you think will happen!? If I was the officer giving the autority to shoot to kill that day. I would of give it without a second doubt in my mind.
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 22:09   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
Haha. I did laugh at the original post about the being shot thing.. BUT I have to disagree with you on this post. And agree with Tealeaf.

His crime wasnt wearing a leather jacket and being a bit dusky skinned. His crime was, aswell as a suspect of terrorism, jumping the barriers of the Tube station, a WEEK after the 7/7 attacks.. running from Police, when instructed to stop. Running onto a Tube train attempting to escape. Not only that, but he wasnt even supposed to be in this country.

It was his OWN fault he was shot if you ask me. Or this country will never crack down on terrorism. Brazillian or not, a week after the 7/7 attacks, you do NOT act like that, jumping barriers etc. What do you think will happen!? If I was the officer giving the autority to shoot to kill that day. I would of give it without a second doubt in my mind.

You are wrong on lots of accounts.

It wasn't a week after the London bombings, it was fifteen days.

According to leaked witness statements from the enquirey he didn't jump the ticket barrier, but went through with his tube pass AFTER picking up his free copy of the Metro newspaper.

Also according to other eye witnesses on the escalator down to the platform, the people following him never issued any warnings telling the man, wrongly suspected of being a suicide bomber, to stop.

Seconds later on a crowded carriage a shoot to kill policy was implemented. Why there, and not anywhere else on the two mile journey from his home is still unclear.

Back to the thread topic.

I have no fear of catching a plane with any Asian, wearing unseasonal clothing and talking bi-lingually or not. What has made me fearful in the past about air travel, is catching planes with the shell suited trash, who are loud and obnoxious, after spending all their time before boarding on the p*ss in the bar.

Old 23-08-2006, 22:11   #40

I appologise for the 7 day error.
Old 23-08-2006, 22:13   #41
Give, give, give member

Also, like I said before, I used this tube station every day for sixteen years.

Trust me, with all the nutters there, if someone in plain clothes spoke to you and tried to stop and talk to you, you'd run too if you had any sense.

Old 23-08-2006, 22:14   #42

If he was pointing a gun at me shouting 'Police.. Stop'.

I think Id stop. Like himself.. if he stopped. He wouldnt have been shot.
Old 23-08-2006, 22:18   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If he was pointing a gun at me shouting 'Police.. Stop'.

I think Id stop. Like himself.. if he stopped. He wouldnt have been shot.
Like I said, according to eye witnesses on the escalator and in the carriage, they didn't say anything of the sort.

Sadly we can't ask Jean Charles de Menezes.

Old 23-08-2006, 22:22   #44

Oh well. Life goes on. Im sure his parents will get over it. Like everyone else in the UK =]
Old 23-08-2006, 22:26   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oh well. Life goes on. Im sure his parents will get over it. Like everyone else in the UK =]

That's so sweet, showing your charitable side.

I sincerely hope tradgedy never befalls your family young man.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..