Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2006, 22:34   #46

Re: Were They Right To Object?

I know it was harsh.. but seriously. There was no-one to blame other than himself. It served the illegal immigrant right.
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2006, 22:39   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
I know it was harsh.. but seriously. There was no-one to blame other than himself. It served the illegal immigrant right.

Again despite what Tealeaf keeps saying it's not proven that he was an illegal immigrant.

Like I said I hope your parents never have to face what his have.

Wrong place, wrong time.

Whoosh, no Morgan_brotherz.

Oh well, they'll get over it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 00:11   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
A question for you in the 70's, 80's and 90's how many of you got on a plane with a person with an irish accent? Everybody did. How many of them do you think were members of the UVF, INLA and IRA etc? You dont know you might have been sat next to IRA chief of staff or the top bomber you just dont know but how many times did people refuse to get on a flight because there was someone with an irish accent sat next to them?
Interesting point well done
In the 70's,80's,90's, there were posters telling everyone to look out for suspect items that could be bombs all over the railways and transports system, rubbbish bins were removed too. Be safe, be alert to bombs.
Thing is if they were irish you'd notice, this would put you on alert, even though they maybe innocent, you'd watch to check. This is the being alert bit.
If they started messing about going into the train toilets and looking under the seats , you'd think that was suspicious and you'd say something. As I'm sure people did.
It's all to do with the suspicious behaviour and being safe not sorry. It's like the stop and seach policy, it's all the same thing.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 01:09   #49

Yeah.. im in agreement there.
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 07:17   #50
God Member

I have a friend who is Muslim, he works for a company that has a slightly dodgy alarm system in that it's quite tricky to set and sometimes goes off when you're setting it - he refuses to be the last person out of the building because he doesn't want to accidentally set the alarm off because the police would come along and he knows that they would not begin their conversation with 'oops'.

My point is that people immediately make judgements about other people which then have to be proven wrong or right. So, the passengers on the plane saw some Asian guys and some of the passengers connected the sight of them with the things that had happened a few days earlier. Then the Asian guys appeared to prove them right by acting strangely.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 09:04   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Lindsey, what I was trying to say was that they 'meant' to create an image of being terrorists, it was engineered for a 'thrill'; that is the difference, and anybody who would do that is obviously mentally disturbed and would create further mayhem on the flight to receive attention which could be dangerous, and quite rightly evicted from the flight.
Wrong. It was engineered in order for them to receive an out-of-court settklement of £25, 000 each from Monarch Airline.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 09:31   #52
God Member

Just out of interest, You may want to raed teh following

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...t_terror_labs/

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 10:55   #53
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Were They Right To Object?

Very interesting entwisi.

If our security services KNEW (and one must assume that they had at least an inkling of an idea) that liquid bombs are to all intents and purposes not practical for an attack on an aeroplane then what was all that shemozzel about?

A public display of being ‘on the ball’ so to speak?
Old 24-08-2006, 11:21   #54
God Member

propaganda?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 11:25   #55
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf

Brazilian cops shoot thousands each year, many just unarmed children.
very true

i saw a program on the bbc where the brazilian police rather than arrest and process a suspect dragged them man around the back of their car and executed him in the street infront of everyone but the camera crew and drove off leaving his body to be picked up by somone else

to the point of these 2 asians not speaking english at the airport and it worrying the other passengers , i have a firends who are of asian desent but not practicing muslims and they have told me that it is considered ignorant and rude to speak in their other language infront of peopel who do not understand it and to be quite honest when i am in teh same room as 2 asians who i know can speak english perfectly but choose to talk non english i get the suspision i am been talked about and i think these passangers paranoia was well justified, you dont have to understand a language to know you are been talked about other things can tip you off like voice tone , the way they look at you when talking etc

i am not racist but like somone sated earlier at this moment terroism is been done by muslims so when a muslim starts acting or been protrayed as acting dodgy at an airport people are going to have doubts about them

i would rather run the risk of been seen as a bigot and a racist than find myself blown up in midair

perhaps if these muslim extreemists stopped blowing up and beheading civilians there wouldnt be such paranoia about muslims , if they want to get their point across they shoudl blow up downing street because to put it simple polititians couldnt care less if UK citizens get slaughtered or blown up , hit the people who make the decisions that you are upset about and leave the innocent peopel alone
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 11:44   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Hey CusCus, nice one, I also read "this" instead of "his" that was sneaky, but I liked it - Can I ask you this one question please?

You have been working ALL year, and its finally time for your hols As you board the plane, and as an experienced pilot! you notice two Asians acting "strangely." Would you:

1) Bring the matter up with one of the aircraft crew?

2) Talk it over with other passengers that have also noticed?

3) Say, "Come on kids, no holiday for you this year, we are getting off!"

4) Or think, "All's safe, nobody would dare bomb a plane that I am on"

Of course, I don't know if you are married, have kids or whatever, but if you are, you should know that your families safety is paramount, Now, WOULD you happily get your family on board this flight??
Thats four questions but happy to give my thoughts!

1. Yes, but depends completely if "airside" or not
2. No (why should I potentially scare people who know less than nothing about aviation security?)
3. No
4. No

5. If "airside" and very suspicious, I would report to staff and see what happens. If the staff come back and say "yes we have investigated the individuals and have cleared them for flight, the captain is happy"
Then that's the end of it, get on the plane.

I would suggest that anybody who is suspicious of anybody purely because they are speaking in a different language is at least a bigot.

I fail to see why so many parents think they know more about the safety of their families whilst on aircraft than aviation professionals.

it's basic fear of what people don't understand, like foreign languages!
CusCus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 11:47   #57
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Were They Right To Object?

I saw that programme too chav1 but tragic as their scenario is we are talking about the UK not Brazil.

I agree with you chav1 that it is ignorant and down right rude to converse in public in a foreign to English language if that same conversation can be made in English. Or if you like speaking in English in a foreign land when you have the ability to speak in that language. Such conversations can lead to suspicions especially in an airport or on a plane or even bus or train.

This whole affair is beginning to look like a put up job to either create disquiet, disruption and concern without actual harm to life and limb or to try and gain a pecuniary advantage in the form of compensation.

I can’t help but feel that this affair is just the tip of a forthcoming iceberg until the novelty wears off and vigilant Joe Public gets tired of being the victim of someone crying wolf, just ignores them. That is until another actual atrocity takes place.

The terrorist has got us by the short and curlies and they know it.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:48   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
Being an illegal immigrant does not deserve the death penalty.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:55   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty

Or if you like speaking in English in a foreign land when you have the ability to speak in that language. Such conversations can lead to suspicions especially in an airport or on a plane or even bus or train.

As somebody who speaks foreign, let me disagree(and agree)!
Yes, you are right I think, it causes fear and suspicion, but it should not. Fear and suspicion of people speaking foreign is a negative character trait, but very common.
If I go to France with a bunch of my bilingual mates, I fail to see why we should have to talk amongst ourselves when in France. In fact, I fail to see why talking in english to somebody else who speaks English is rude.

I would suggest that people who are offended by foreign speak need to get out more and be less insular. If you are not part of a conversation, what do you care what language it is in!

In my office at any one time there are about 5 or six languages being spoken at any one time. I'm not remotely offended by it. (and that's not including the Eastern European cleaners )

I fail to see why people hold foreign speak in fear.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:58   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
My shop is full of these "terrorists" on a daily basis. Should I ask all males of asian origin between the ages of 19-40 who speak in their own language and wear a jacket to leave the store? Let's get a grip here.
*applause*

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..