Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2011, 23:10   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Wetherspoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Not even rising to that one.
Glad i never said that.
Old 22-07-2011, 23:17   #122
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Glad i never said that.
Hahahaha ...pleased to hear you can.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 23:57   #123

Had a good evening in the new commercial.On our drinks by alphabet thing we got to letter ' I '. 8 drinks i think,long way to go.Finlander grapefruit vodka is nice by the way.Has i thought accy is the very place where wethers drinks are slightly more expensive than the pubs,nice place though.saw first person get thrown out around 9 o'clock..back for more food/drink antics tomorrow with a few friends joining us. Had food also btw,average as usual !!!. Toilets in there are fairly near to the coppice

oh cashy,its £1.65 a coke tee hee
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 06:41   #124
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Exactly what are you waffling on about now?

This thread is about the impact that a retail branch of Wetherspoons Plc will have upon the economic and social wellbeing of the good people of Accrington.

There are those - such as some in Accy - who suffer from the delusion that the effect will be a positive one. But there are those - like me - who have spent time north and south of Watford and have seen what has happened when Wetherspoons make their ubiquitous presence felt. Like any other national retail chain operation, they are the cancer that destroys the unique identity of towns such as Accy.

You may wish to party today; but when local family owned coffee shops, tenanted pubs and such like pull down the shutters and we go further down that deep, downward economic spiral, then you will rue the day.

You know damn well what I was doing....answering another of your increasingly insulting posts.
Why do you care? OK, so you might make visits back to the town, but the local economy isn't really the top of this agenda.

I suffer from no delusions about what Wetherspoons can do........and the local tenanted public houses are already being boarded up and converted into large family homes(The Adelphi).......the good local coffee houses will survive because a certain level of competition is healthy......after all, you are too discriminating to go for coffee or anything else in Wetherspoons one one of your visits to the town...and will probably drink yours in Coffee Beanz.

You should stay off the alcohol anyway, your jaundice is deepening...your liver must be struggling to cope.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 08:34   #125
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have just checked it out,was heaving, the pics i saw were of ewbank, some hall/lodge etc, beer garden was great, ample space under cover n outside, never saw all the pics, couldn't get near some of em, on the downside beware if yer taking kids in, half of coca-cola £1-65.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
Had a good evening in the new commercial.On our drinks by alphabet thing we got to letter ' I '. 8 drinks i think,long way to go.Finlander grapefruit vodka is nice by the way.Has i thought accy is the very place where wethers drinks are slightly more expensive than the pubs,nice place though.saw first person get thrown out around 9 o'clock..back for more food/drink antics tomorrow with a few friends joining us. Had food also btw,average as usual !!!. Toilets in there are fairly near to the coppice

oh cashy,its £1.65 a coke tee hee
which is what i said spigs, perhaps you should be drinking it, or visit specsavers?
Old 23-07-2011, 08:35   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
John, does that in some way excuse him from the normal courtesies?
It seems to be a pretty poor excuse.
I suppose he would much rather the building in the centre of our town, be left to rot. As if we do not have enough eyesores in our town.
He has nothing good to say about the place, and even less to say about the people who live here.
He is the epitome of a carmudgeon.

Isn't that just a bit sad?
I know it doesn't excuse it Margaret, but goes a long way to explaining it
Old 23-07-2011, 08:52   #127
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Myself, can never understand why people go out for breakfast

For me, fag and a brew, then have to feed the night starvation there and then, not wait to get into town before I eat. Hate deals of bed/breakfast in hotels where you have to go in the restaurant to eat .. could be an hour before I was showered and dressed and, by then, couldn't be bothered. Always ordered in my room if available .. good alarm call too.

Suppose old habits die hard, where there was always a breakfast waiting for me as a child when I got up (no, not the brew and fag .. LOL).
For myself Kate it's a nice cooked breakfast at Rishton Towers most mornings but on occasion it's very nice to mosey into town and let someone else do it, particularly following a heavy night's ale research.

I'm just interested to know how much your servants were paid as a child....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 09:22   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
For myself Kate it's a nice cooked breakfast at Rishton Towers most mornings but on occasion it's very nice to mosey into town and let someone else do it, particularly following a heavy night's ale research.

Shushhhh Ken your reminding me of my days on the road, when the first call was always the nearest greasy spoon for a full English and a big mug of tea
Old 23-07-2011, 10:06   #129
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Nothing like that, Ken, was lucky to have my Gran living with us at the time whilst both my parents went out to work in the mills. When she passed away, my mother gave up work to look after the needs of the family.

Looking back and reading Margaret P's description of the poverty she suffered, I do consider that we were, indeed, very rich.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 12:38   #130
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
....and the local tenanted public houses are already being boarded up and converted into large family homes(The Adelphi)........
Regrettably Marg, the pub trade is suffering badly and not because of the easy excuse that the government is crippling them with taxes. The ingenious idea of slotting in a new layer of management between taverns and breweries that would somehow make pubs run smoother has been a financial disaster and that is where the real damage has been done.

Wetherspoons, free houses and other eateries seem to be doing OK, that really should send a message out to all the breweries as to where they've gone so spectacularly wrong and why so many of their pubs are failing.

The only government decision I personally would question is the smoking ban which was a little heavy-handed and the theory that armies of non-smokers would flock to the pubs as a result of it has been unequivocably proved wrong.

However, if other pubs fail as a result of Wetherspoons then it probably won't be the fault of the tenants.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 13:40   #131
Beacon of light

I think any pub that goes to the wall, will not be as a direct result of Wetherspoons coming to town....as you said the pub trade was/is dying on its uppers long before Wetherspoons hit town.
I think the Calder will need to look to its' laurels, as for other coffee houses.........I don't really think Wetherspoons is going to take much trade from Imposta...or Costa Coffee...their clientele are different.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 17:33   #132

Went into Wetherspoons last night. After a couple we decided to have a walk to the railway and nags, two pubs that i haven't been in for years. So that's a couple of pubs which had two extra people in that wouldn't normally be in, and in each pub we had a couple of drinks each. You never know more people might do a similar thing and visit other pubs in the area. Lets hope so.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 17:44   #133
God Member

Someone was telling me the other week that you have to pay to get in The Bridge now....whats all that about?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 08:13   #134

It’s been fascinating to watch spoons come together over the weeks and also to nip in at doors open. Great also to see that we managed to get Wetherspoons to include a lovely picture of local lass Beryl Ingham and her husband George Formby which is a fantastic tribute to her and nice to have it on the map now thanks to them. TA.

What a great job they have done with the building and we loved the outside bit with its all weather grass. I joked with one lad we should fetch the bowls down one time for a lark. A good choice of ale is on offer for those who like the real stuff and we found it’s been spot on every time. Let’s hope the other local pubs respond positively to the new competition they have.
MrPastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 05:35   #135

I was in Spoons on Saturday night and it was packed to the rafters. I've never seen one pub so busy for that length of time.

This could kick-start Accrington's night life on a Saturday night before 11pm.

Normally the town would be dead on a Saturday night.
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..