Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 18:33   #16
God Member

Re: What A Horrendous Twenty Four Hours

I have said many times that the law is not harsh enough, the recent spate of reported stabbings is just that, it has been highlighted by the media and so is reported more, you dont hear about 90% of the stabbings the rest of the time, I was once told that at weekend, until around pub closing, there were only 3 policemen to cover approx ten square miles, more are brought in at closing time, red tape ties police up for hours just to cover thier backside against the human rights brigade, it is all so very very wrong.
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2008, 18:44   #17
Senior Member+

I think we need to put all this into perspective and not get carried away. Knife crimes are hitting the headlines at the moment, but it's not as if they haven't always been with us.

On Radio 4 today they were saying that back in the 1960s ('68 I think), knife crime was so bad that the singer Frankie Vaughan met with 4 Glasgow gangs to try to broker peace and an amnesty on knives.

Yes it's making the news at the moment and we're all rightly concerned, but in a week or two there'll be another thing to be very concerned about.
Old 12-07-2008, 18:54   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I think we need to put all this into perspective and not get carried away. Knife crimes are hitting the headlines at the moment, but it's not as if they haven't always been with us.

On Radio 4 today they were saying that back in the 1960s ('68 I think), knife crime was so bad that the singer Frankie Vaughan met with 4 Glasgow gangs to try to broker peace and an amnesty on knives.

Yes it's making the news at the moment and we're all rightly concerned, but in a week or two there'll be another thing to be very concerned about.

A sane response ... sometimes one has to look at the big picture ... while our consrvative govt. tell us that there is a need to get tough on crime, the stats tell us that, in Canada, violent crime is on the decrease ... about 500 murders per year ... not bad for a country of 30 million .... and many of thes crimes are commited by total nutbars, or po'd ex husbands, boyfriends etc. ... and it is the horror of certain crimes that steals the headlines and suggest that the problem is worse than it really is. When some gun toting retard kills 4 mounties, or when some other deranged idiot kills three of his kids, that really hits the headlines. But it obscures the fact that, in general, violent crime is on the way down.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 18:56   #19
God Member

An afterthought ... most of the crimes of violence are commited in the major cities by poor immigrant youth .... but even here, pcism is catching on enough, that it is not appropriate to mention this too loudly
Old 12-07-2008, 20:25   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
An afterthought ... most of the crimes of violence are commited in the major cities by poor immigrant youth .... but even here, pcism is catching on enough, that it is not appropriate to mention this too loudly
African contries are draining the resources of western taxpayers by requesting and being given monatary aid which is regularly siphoned off to feed and cloth the peacocks in power. Magabi and his thugs are one of them.
I am not suggesting that poor immigrant youths who are causing the trouble are African or any other race.
Able bodied men criminals, who have commited and been found guilty of any serious violent crime should be offered as aid to help build the infrastructures, road,rail, and the like.
Live in Bashers as we were forced to live in and tents.
I am not suggesting an Ausie senario (They turned out an excellent country after all)
Anyone who destroys a country such as Rodesia needs all the help they can get, maybe the organising skills of the career criminals under strict supervision can be the saviors of African Countries.
Stop Monetary Aid and use the money to fund our own police, I cannot agree to cut down the strength of the armed services that would be fatal with the Nutters in charge of Countries like Iran.
Sand, sweat and sometimes hardship would be a better deterrent that watching Big Brother in our UK prisons?

I will probably get slated for this suggestion but I am of the age that I couldn't give a toss about the PC Brigade.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 21:34   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
African contries are draining the resources of western taxpayers by requesting and being given monatary aid which is regularly siphoned off to feed and cloth the peacocks in power. Magabi and his thugs are one of them.
I am not suggesting that poor immigrant youths who are causing the trouble are African or any other race.
Able bodied men criminals, who have commited and been found guilty of any serious violent crime should be offered as aid to help build the infrastructures, road,rail, and the like.
Live in Bashers as we were forced to live in and tents.
I am not suggesting an Ausie senario (They turned out an excellent country after all)
Anyone who destroys a country such as Rodesia needs all the help they can get, maybe the organising skills of the career criminals under strict supervision can be the saviors of African Countries.
Stop Monetary Aid and use the money to fund our own police, I cannot agree to cut down the strength of the armed services that would be fatal with the Nutters in charge of Countries like Iran.
Sand, sweat and sometimes hardship would be a better deterrent that watching Big Brother in our UK prisons?

I will probably get slated for this suggestion but I am of the age that I couldn't give a toss about the PC Brigade.

Our otherwise stupid PM (that's Stephen Harper, not Joseph Harper as the Times has it) .... suggested tying aid to a real condemnation of Mugabe by the countries who accept our aid .... lots of chat over hear about limiting aid until they get their act together ... from what I read, England has swallowed more of the PCBS than we have. The people in la belle province are esp. critical of going overboard on "reasonable accomodation" ... and more power to them. Quebec is a distinct society in the Canadian political and social structure, in fact, and in law .... and they want to maintain that distinction ... England is no less a distinct society, but some seem to want to create a new, dumber kind England, when there was little wrong with the old one. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I agree with you ... perhaps not so much about the military bit, too many Canadians dying in Afghanistan for SFA ... I don't give a flying you know what about the PC brigade either.
Old 12-07-2008, 23:59   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post

not off me ya won't,WELL SAID.that man.
Old 13-07-2008, 00:16   #23
God Member

Eric? from Canada? and Roboy from Spain.. yep great stuff..suprised at some of the more "moderate" members have hailed agreement. so the stabbings in London and elsewere are a result of the Mugabe regime and the lack of British values..but at the same time The British are putting money to feed these regimes?... complete utter rubbish..and the people that have seconed this are a sham.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 09:55   #24
Resting in Peace

Why is it that every time there is a spate of crims like these knifings the Government start jumping up and down and rushing through more legislation, its not more laws we need its using the ones we already have to the full. In fact its time the judges in their Ivory Towers joined the real world, took their collective heads out of their backsids and dish out the punishments to fit the crime and stop playing up to the PC and Human Rights brigades, ed of
Old 13-07-2008, 10:31   #25
God Member

I think it is a joke blaming the justice system, and this applies to both the police forces, courts AND the prison system.

Why doesn't knife crime happen so often in some places and not at all in others? I haven't got the data, but it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of knife crime was occuring in the areas affected most by poverty, and poverty is a government problem, not the justice system.

You can blame the justice system all you like but when it comes to applying that to the fact that knife crime doesn't happen everywhere you will find that it doesn't answer all of your questions.

In regards to parties doing anything about this, the Conservatives (waits for the groan) are trying to strengthen families with the idea that it will also enable more people to work and provide for their families. If the family structure is breaking down then it becomes difficult for people to find jobs and keep them, therefore they often fall into poverty.

The only problem is finding jobs for everybody. I hate to say it but immigration has obviously had an impact on the number of available jobs and I know myself how difficult it is to find a job even with experience and qualifications, so I imagine the unskilled workers are having an even worse time.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 13:42   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Why doesn't knife crime happen so often in some places and not at all in others? I haven't got the data, but it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of knife crime was occuring in the areas affected most by poverty, and poverty is a government problem, not the justice system.

regardless of how much money you have any human knows it is wrong to stick a knife into somone else

poverty is not a reason or an excuse for somone to behave like an animal , they are just plain scum and scum can be found amongst the rich and the poorest of people

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 14:36   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

read a report today,our wonderful home secretary jaqui smith is saying that will be more beneficial for those convicted of knife crime to be taken to hospitals,to see people who are in with knife wounds,so they can see the damage they cause, this would be more beneficial than sending them to jail. what planet is this " Silly Bitch" living on?
Old 13-07-2008, 14:58   #28
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
read a report today,our wonderful home secretary jaqui smith is saying that will be more beneficial for those convicted of knife crime to be taken to hospitals,to see people who are in with knife wounds,so they can see the damage they cause, this would be more beneficial than sending them to jail. what planet is this " Silly Bitch" living on?
Yeah i'm sure they really care about the damage they have done!
If they did they wouldn't do it in the first place!
She is living in cloud cuckoo land along with the rest of the goverment.
The only way to stop it is to introduce tougher jail sentences.
Not difficult when you think about it.
Old 13-07-2008, 15:47   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
what planet is this " Silly Bitch" living on?
Quite a prosperous one, as she was one of the ministers who voted to keep the MP expenses system intact the other night. Still, statements like this show that she's worth every penny!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 13-07-2008 at 15:52.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 16:55   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
regardless of how much money you have any human knows it is wrong to stick a knife into somone else

poverty is not a reason or an excuse for somone to behave like an animal , they are just plain scum and scum can be found amongst the rich and the poorest of people
I find myself agreeing with Blazey on this one ... I don't think she is wrong when she sees a link between poverty and violence, even tho' scumbags exist at every economic level. I do believe that the incidence of violence is higher in the poorer areas of large cities .... you will of course find it elsewhere but not in the same concentration .... I don't agree with conservative solutions, this "strengthen the traditional family" bs, without ecoomic support will not work.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..