Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2008, 16:25   #76
Yank in King Art's Court!

Re: What A Horrendous Twenty Four Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Ah, you have stumbled into the truth. Having for years been spoon-fed an almost universally negative diet by the press and others of influence, it is hardly surprising that the views all too often displayed on this site are as they are. However, from firsthand knowledge and experience, let me assure you that the vast majority of Americans lead very tranquil lives, despite violent crime hot spots and periodic aberrations, which are present in all civilized societies, including your own.
I agree totally with this statement Barb! Really ashame that the world thinks we are overrun by homelessness, poverty, crime, and shoot-outs at noon for nostalgias sake. Oh, on the other hand, we are not all filthy rich carrying diamond studded little dogs around Rodeo Drive.

Most of us are fairly normal, law-abiding citizens trying to understand, as the nature of this thread, why the world has gone so out of control! It's an incredible heartache/heartbreak!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2008, 17:00   #77
God Member

Simple answer, lock people up who carry knives before they get the chance to cause damage. No use giving them a slap on the wrist.
Old 18-07-2008, 17:15   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Simple answer, lock people up who carry knives before they get the chance to cause damage. No use giving them a slap on the wrist.
42 days sentence ?
Old 18-07-2008, 17:18   #79
God Member

Quote:
But one of several fine side arms in my possession.
No doubt ... and it seems you still have your sense of humor

But if you wish to fire across the Atlantic, may I suggest something with a much higer muzzle velocity .... I own a very fine Winchester, which fires a 22-250 bullet at a muzzle velocity that makes it almost possibe to put a round into orbit
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 17:30   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
I agree totally with this statement Barb! Really ashame that the world thinks we are overrun by homelessness, poverty, crime, and shoot-outs at noon for nostalgias sake. Oh, on the other hand, we are not all filthy rich carrying diamond studded little dogs around Rodeo Drive.

Most of us are fairly normal, law-abiding citizens trying to understand, as the nature of this thread, why the world has gone so out of control! It's an incredible heartache/heartbreak!

Brian
You have to remember Brian that most people in the world get their image of America from the US news media (and we all know that good news doesn't sell) and from Hollywood ... not too many on here know the US first hand ... I get over to New York fairly often, and apart from gallons instead of litres, and miles instead of kms, it is difficult to tell whether you are in Ontario or NY.

Having said that, if the US wishes to act as the world's policeman, then you have to take the flak that comes with the job and with the high profile that comes along with it. Especially as it is a toss up whether it is more dangerous to walk thro' Baghdad or Detroit.

How's your snake by the way? I hope you found a way of getting rid of it without killing it.
Old 18-07-2008, 17:37   #81
God Member

Quote:
A perfect example of the fuzzy thinking of modern day liberals.
Indeed, and where has this all got us. In Canada, the great red north, crime rates are going down rapidly ... In Kingston, a drop of 11% last year!

And it was fuzzy modern day liberal thinking that kept Canada out of Iraq ... vive Jean Chretien ... and I am willing to bet that there are many over the pond who wish that Blair had told GW to take a flying you-know-what at a rolling donut, instead of tagging along with the US sponsored invasion.
Old 18-07-2008, 17:59   #82
Resting in Peace

The Home Secretary was misquoted here .. she wasn't suggesting that people who had committed a stabbing would visit hospitals, more those that were caught carrying blade weapons, and more to talk to doctors, nurses, paramedics, etc. to try to stop and think what could happen if they ever used their weapons.

What amazed me on the statistics they have just done for the first time on this crime is that the highest level was in South Wales and Cumbria, not the cities.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 18:16   #83

I wonder why “Swiss army” type knives with a blade of less than 3 inches are not classed as being illegal - Knives and the law
Old 18-07-2008, 19:45   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I wonder why “Swiss army” type knives with a blade of less than 3 inches are not classed as being illegal - Knives and the law
I think that you could make an offensive weapon out of almost everyting BB, Take an ordinary ten a penny pen, stick that in someones neck and if your lucky it will have the same effect as an 8 inch bush knife, basically its not the weapon its whats between the persons ears who has the weapon thats the problem, and why do they need to have a weapon in the first place
Old 18-07-2008, 19:59   #85

Yeah, you're right jaysay
Old 18-07-2008, 20:04   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think that you could make an offensive weapon out of almost everyting BB, Take an ordinary ten a penny pen, stick that in someones neck and if your lucky it will have the same effect as an 8 inch bush knife, basically its not the weapon its whats between the persons ears who has the weapon thats the problem, and why do they need to have a weapon in the first place
A pen would work well .... Joe Pesci used one to good effect

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..