Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 00:06   #1
God Member

What A Horrendous Twenty Four Hours

Watching the news at tea-time and I was horrified to hear that in the last twenty four hours there had been six fatalities due to knife crime. Five were in London and one in Bolton(the figure is probably higher now)
What can be done to reduce these horrendous figures?? I think it is time that all our elected MP's got together to look at a viable solution. Surely somebody can come up with a decent option without blaming the present goverment, after all do all MP's not have a say in what transpires??
Surely everybody whatever your political leanings must be horrified at these alarming statistics???
Old 12-07-2008, 00:43   #2

Re: What A Horrendous Twenty Four Hours

On the local news a teenager stabbed in Bolton tonight whilst on his way to blockbusters
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 00:53   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

saw a young lad that was covered in blood due to some scumbags glassing him in the face on sydney st last friday evening, apparently his face will be scarred for life, he was a decent young lad in my estimation, was in the observer today, that 2 have been arrested, one in custody, one on bail, whats all that about? bail fer 1 scumbag n people hope these ******* will take action!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:30   #4
Loz

Theres barely a day goes by now without hearing about a stabbing,its terrible,the goverment really needs to get tougher with the sentences for knife crime and quickly or this is going to get worse and worse and its pretty damned bad as it is
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12   #5
God Member

its ok pssing laws but we dont have enough police to enforce them

cut the money paying for troops to police other countries and get more police in our own country

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:29   #6
God Member

i cant edit my last post so typing an addition here

i have family in halliwell bolton and can tell you that stabbings are quite a regular event along with rapes, there has always been a high knife crime rate in bolton mainly halliwell way before it got all the publicity it has recently infact the most common form of knife crime at one point was machette attacks which involved people just walking into a pub and hacking somone up or dragging them outside and doing it, as usual though the over stretched police struggle to get there in time to catch attackers and the overstretched ambulance service struggles also.Luckily with cctv been used more these days more criminals get caught eventualy and evidence is recorded and altough i used to be strongly against a cctv society it does seem these days that there is a need for more cctv

one thing i would do away with is the crime attempted murder , wether or not the person manages to actualy kill somone should be irrelivant and they should be tried for murder and scentenced accordingly

gang culture is also becoming a problem and there should be extra years put onto a punishment should it be gang related

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 12-07-2008 at 02:33.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:09   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

cut the money paying for troops to police other countries and get more police in our own country
That's a helluva good idea And get the police out of their cruisers and out on the beat.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:28   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
That's a helluva good idea And get the police out of their cruisers and out on the beat.
Can't do that it's a health and safety Issue
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:09   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
That is not true.

We have a justice system that does not lock them up and a Government that does not provide the justice system with enough prison spaces.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:08   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is not true.

We have a justice system that does not lock them up and a Government that does not provide the justice system with enough prison spaces.
Totally agree with your sentiments Neil, you can pass all the new laws you wish, but if the powers that be in the courts don't carry out the correct sentances, then whats the point, If we haven't enough jails then build more instead spending billions of pounds supporting Bush in two wars that no one supports
Old 12-07-2008, 10:18   #11

As has been said, the justice system is poor. The police catch criminals only for the Courts to make a mockery of all their efforts.

I think the amount of paperwork a police officer has to fill in after making an arrest has to be looked at as well. A documentary I watched a few months ago told how when an arrest had been made, then the arresting officer was at the station for at least the next 4 hours filling in the paperwork. That is plainly wrong.

The whole system needs a major overhaul and if after that it’s found there are not enough police we employ more.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:52   #12
Resident Waffler

The whole system seems to be on the side of the criminal. Defend yourself and you'll be the one who ends up in gaol. Tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime? What a con that was.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:35   #13
God Member

Maybe the answer might to go back to the Victorian ideas on prison like on the following site? It would to some seem cruel and hard and have some ranting at me but compared to what they get now then prisoners would not want to go back. It did have its bad points but I judged it based on the now and then principle.

http://www.learningcurve.gov.uk/cand...g09/g09cs3.htm

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:39   #14
God Member

There seems to be more chance of hell freezing over than prisoners being punished in the way they should be. Think it has something to do with THEIR human rights
Old 12-07-2008, 12:05   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is not true.

oh yes it is and heres an example

when my partner had an attempted break in i got talking to the officer that turned up and he told me that on one occasion trouble kicked off in accrington and there was only a handfull of officers on duty so they took 3 vans and 1 car each with 1 police officer in each vehicle so as to make it look like there was more of them, you are right that he courts are too soft with criminals but we also need police and when i say police i dont mean these plastic cops or pcso's as i think they are called

i myself have seen trouble break out in accrington where the police are greatly out numbered and have had to call in officers from blackburn and other areas hoping that they havnt got their hands full already

if you realy think we have enough police wait until you need one at the weekend and see how long it takes them to turn up, ihope if you ever need one they are having a quiet night

Last edited by accyman; 12-07-2008 at 12:09.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..