Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2004, 18:56   #61
Resident Waffler

Re: What Are They Going To Ban Next????

Ah but you are being logical Staggeringman.

How much logic is there in the minds of people who will send letter bombs to people they suspect of working in animal research - letter bombs which could be opened by innocent children?

Fox hunting is a far more humane way of dealing with them than poisoning or shooting (for reasons previously stated elsewhere)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2004, 19:11   #62
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Ah but you are being logical Staggeringman.

How much logic is there in the minds of people who will send letter bombs to people they suspect of working in animal research - letter bombs which could be opened by innocent children?

Fox hunting is a far more humane way of dealing with them than poisoning or shooting (for reasons previously stated elsewhere)
its not only the hunting side of things willow it was quoted in the papers today, they have been dragging this on for seven years,whats not broken should not be tampered with unless it affects the safety of other people then the matter should be hit head on and dealt with immiediatley. how much are we paying these fat cats for such trivial matters,when we have men and boys doing there dirty work in a war torn country?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 19:17   #63
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
its not only the hunting side of things willow it was quoted in the papers today, they have been dragging this on for seven years,whats not broken should not be tampered with unless it affects the safety of other people then the matter should be hit head on and dealt with immiediatley. how much are we paying these fat cats for such trivial matters,when we have men and boys doing there dirty work in a war torn country?
Let's face it they say this is a much more effective way of killing the fox than shooting, well how about this for an Idea? Lets announce a massive meeting where all the foxes & all the huntsmen , dog, farriers, horses everything can gather all together, hey lets not stop at that , grouse, 12 bore owners game keepers then NUKE the sons of bi*ches, that will do the environment a world of good won't it? (Sorry forgot about us smokers as well)!

Last edited by Less; 24-11-2004 at 19:19.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 20:16   #64

Let's face it we are all suffering from the Holier than thou effect that was most prevelent when the puritans during Cromwells time were in power. Instead of tolerating each others faults we all expect every-one else to conform with our idea of what is right.

(if we had a smilie for burning witches I'd have put that on).
Old 24-11-2004, 21:37   #65
Resident Waffler

Is this 1984 20 years too late?

Old 24-11-2004, 21:43   #66
Member.

Post Re: What Are They Going To Ban Next????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Instead of tolerating each others faults we all expect every-one else to conform with our idea of what is right.
Bl***y hell Less, does this mean we're buddies............. I forgive you Less - but only if I win.........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 21:46   #67
Member.

Quote:
Let's face it we are all suffering from the Holier than thou effect that was most prevelent when the puritans during Cromwells time were in power. Instead of tolerating each others faults we all expect every-one else to conform with our idea of what is right.
Actually Less in all seriousness, if we all followed your example here we would all be better people. Well said.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 24-11-2004, 21:53   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Actually Less in all seriousness, if we all followed your example here we would all be better people. Well said.
excuse me? Doug, are you forgetting your role? We are supposed to be good cop, bad cop, no where in the contract does it say we agree with each other, (excuse me whilst I spit)..........
Old 24-11-2004, 21:57   #69
Member.

Quote:
excuse me? Doug, are you forgetting your role? We are supposed to be good cop, bad cop, no where in the contract does it say we agree with each other, (excuse me whilst I spit)..........
Thank god for that.......I thought it was all falling apart then I hope your not going to just leave that spittle where it landed. We do have ladies walking around here you know.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 24-11-2004, 22:31   #70
Senior Member+

As an ex smoker who started many years ago, as a 12yr old at Rhyddings, (1 single No6 and 2 matches) from the newsagents on Union Rd to smoking my way across every continent and being a verment "its my right to smoke". Now having given up for 6yrs I have never felt better and I can now do things I never thought I would, thats just the healthy side, also look at how much money I have saved.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 23:41   #71
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
As an ex smoker who started many years ago, as a 12yr old at Rhyddings, (1 single No6 and 2 matches) from the newsagents on Union Rd to smoking my way across every continent and being a verment "its my right to smoke". Now having given up for 6yrs I have never felt better and I can now do things I never thought I would, thats just the healthy side, also look at how much money I have saved.
look at it anothere way look how much you lost the government.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 01:52   #72
Senior Member+

look at it anothere way look how much you lost the government.Today 18:31

After reading the thread I realise that banning anything thats good for some and bad for others is always going to be controversial but all tests,reports and studies state that smoking kills and its the goverment mandate to protect the people, here in Florida they banned smoking two years ago in all public places, bars, resturants there was an outcry you woundnt belive all this human rights being violated, bar owners saying they would be out of business etc and guess what the reports say they havent had a year like it before, now they are saying they should have done it years ago. A friend of mine runs a Britsh pub here and last week he was looking to expand 2 years ago he was thinking of selling. Its time to get out of the old idea you knew someone who smoked 40 capstan full strength every day and lived to be 80, my mum smoked embassy and lived to be 55!!!

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 05:55   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
look at it anothere way look how much you lost the government.Today 18:31

After reading the thread I realise that banning anything thats good for some and bad for others is always going to be controversial but all tests,reports and studies state that smoking kills and its the goverment mandate to protect the people, here in Florida they banned smoking two years ago in all public places, bars, resturants there was an outcry you woundnt belive all this human rights being violated, bar owners saying they would be out of business etc and guess what the reports say they havent had a year like it before, now they are saying they should have done it years ago. A friend of mine runs a Britsh pub here and last week he was looking to expand 2 years ago he was thinking of selling. Its time to get out of the old idea you knew someone who smoked 40 capstan full strength every day and lived to be 80, my mum smoked embassy and lived to be 55!!!

Banning anything is a politicians way of opting out of facing reality. We seem to have developed a "Banning" culture.

We need less rules and more common sense.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 07:29   #74
God Member

Picking up on what Bazf has to say about the negative effects of smoking on health, I thought I should contibute this. I have been smoking since I was Seventeen. I have tried everything available to try and stop - honest. and none of it works. Two years ago I had a heart attack. There were grave faced doctors gathered around the bed when they gave me the prognosis. "Your heart attack has caused 30-40% of damage to your heart. You may also have atherosclerosis, though we can't be sure. You had better give up smoking now or you will have another one, which will kill you. And you must take the cocktail of drugs that we will now prescribe for you, for the rest of your life".

Fair enough, I thought I will make another effort. I lasted six weeks. I also took the drugs prescribed. They cost me £30.00 per month and caused such horrific and painful side effects that I stopped taking them after two months. Because I stopped taking the drugs the NHS has effectively washed it's hands of me. They will treat me in an emergency, of course, but any long term management is out of the question. As is any thought of assesment and referral to Blackpool for further treatment.

So, after a week off to recuperate, I went back to work and I do as much now as I did before the heart attack, remember my heart is now only working at 60% efficiency and my arteries are hardening daily.
I smoke as many fags as I did before. I am not on any medication. and yet when I had my blood pressure and pulse taken yesterday my pulse was 73bpm. and blood pressure was 127/78. I FEEL FINE. But if the doctors had their way, I would be £1000 poorer, I would be tied to taking medication to counteract the side effects of the medication they prescribed, which would lay me open to an even greater risk of further heart attack and possible cancer(I've read the reports on "Statins", lots of them). I would also be tied into the NHS dependancy cycle.

According to my GP I should now be DEAD! Instead, I am starting a new business venture in Blackpool, which opens next month.

The health effects of Smoking are, generally, bad. But they are not as bad as the Health Fascists would have you believe. Remember, they have a vested interest in keeping you dependant on them. Remember also, it was a respected Doctor who proclaimed a link with MMR and Autism for no other reason than to promote his own ineffective cure, thus putting all our children at risk. Remember also that another noted GP's solution the increasing cost of caring for the elderly was an injection of Dia-morphine.
Old 25-11-2004, 07:55   #75
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Banning anything is a politicians way of opting out of facing reality. We seem to have developed a "Banning" culture.

We need less rules and more common sense.
In some cases I'd be inclined to agree with you but unfortunately common sense doesn't tend to prevail.

Being in a restaurant enjoying a meal which is suddenly ruined by people at another table who have finished their meal and consider it "common sense" to then light up and waft their smoke over our table leaves me asking whose rights are being violated by whom.

The point about the MMR vaccine is a good one A-b and I can see why you wouldn't want to be dependant on a nicotine substitute instead of on cigarettes. However, it wasn't clear to me whether the "cocktail of drugs" related to your heart attack or to the giving up of smoking. My late husband (who was diabetic and insulin intollerant) took a "cocktail of drugs" which effectively kept him alive and he was very grateful for them. His death (in hospital) was totally unrelated to them or the diabetes but that's another story.

If medication is prescribed following a heart attack I wouldn't recommend anyone just giving it up because of the cost. You may feel fine but does that mean that everything IS fine? I certainly hope so but a friend of mine felt "perfectly fine" the day he set out for work and dropped dead before he even got there.

Don't the cigarettes themselves lay you open to the possibility of further heart attacks and cancer? Three of my grandparents and my mother-in-law all died of cancer. I was too young to know much about the suffering of my grandparents who all died within 6 months of each other when I was 4 years old. They were all 3 in different hospitals at one point which must have been horrendous for my parents. I did witness the suffering and decline of my m-i-l and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I don't think the stories are idle scaremongering by people with an ulterior motive. And on a purely selfish note I have no wish to die from the effects of "passive" smoking.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..