Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2004, 19:31   #91
land of hope and glory

Re: What Are They Going To Ban Next????

went to see the hunt at gargrave near skipton on monday the 27th what a brilliant sight, there must have been 700 people there to watch it!There was also about 100 on horse back dressed accordingly,Dont know if any foxes where caught? but to see people from all walks of life enjoying a tradition that goes back years was brill.I would highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys the country side to go and watch the next time one is on!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2004, 10:09   #92
Senior Member+

Well, i for one hope that no foxes were caught.It is a cruel and barbaric sport.
Old 31-12-2004, 17:40   #93
land of hope and glory

Unhappy Re: What Are They Going To Ban Next????

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
Well, i for one hope that no foxes were caught.It is a cruel and barbaric sport.
so is two people in a boxing ring knocking chunks off each other,what about formula 1,also the isle of man t.t races,what about bullfighting,what about your curries made from halal,what about your sunday joint,all the people of africa and around the world that are starving to death,what about the people of the tradgedy thats just occured ....mmm yes lets save a rodent!!!
Old 31-12-2004, 18:08   #94
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
what is the government going to ban next? yes there are a lot of people out there who agree and a lot that dont.the do gooders have nearly got there way in banning a tradition that goes back to the egyptions.... HUNTING...something that has been the way of life for man since time began,today i picked up the paper and read that the vegitarians now want to ban fish and chips...can you believe it ...fish and chips what kind of pill...ks think these bans up, is there nowt better for people to do these days,they say that fish cod,haddock and so have feelings...what a load of cods..wallop if you where living off the sea and your child is hungary what would it be eat the fish are starve your kids? i know what my thoughts and doings would be.are the do gooders going to try and ban englands biggest sport...FISHING..either be course,game or sea fishing because thats where we are heading.
shoot them all
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 18:13   #95
Senior Member+

I have no objections to any sport's such as boxing,motor sports in fact anything that involves consenting adults who wish to compete. Animals dont have any choice in the matter.
Old 31-12-2004, 21:52   #96
Senior Member+

And of course don't forget to tilt your cap to the Lord o the Manor while he rides past and covers you in sh*t, of course everyone has there place and if your talking about tradition I'm pretty sure that they never invited the local landlord/commoners/servants to ride.
http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sou...v/violence.wav

Last edited by Bazf; 31-12-2004 at 22:07.
Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:04   #97
God Member

Quote:
I have no objections to any sport's such as boxing,motor sports in fact anything that involves consenting adults who wish to compete. Animals dont have any choice in the matter.
Placing animals on the same level as humans just makes me puke. An animal has 4 uses:

1) To be eaten by us (i.e.Chicken)

2) Ornament (dog, cat)

3) Tool (horse, dog)

4) Part of the extended food chain for the above 3

Anything else and it's vermin, i.e. Fox, so I see no reason why we can't have some enjoyment while at the same time controlling this pest. I was at the hunt with Staggeringman and I can only say it was a truly delightful morning out.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:06   #98
Senior Member+

Your such a caring man tea.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:10   #99
God Member

Quote:
Your such a caring man tea.
I know, Janet. Too caring at times.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:13   #100
Senior Member+

Good to see that you have not changed over the festive season tea. lol
Old 05-05-2005, 01:22   #101
land of hope and glory

sorry to bring the topic back up but look what i found.

Foxes 'Suffer More Under Hunt Ban'New academic research has proven that the ban on hunting, and the subsequent rise in foxes being shot, has resulted in an increase in the suffering of the animals
By Holly Kirkwood
Monday, May 3 2005

Work done by researchers commissioned by the Middle Way Group has confirmed suspicions that shooting causes more harm to foxes than hunting with dogs, as many are injured and left to die over long periods of time.

The study, which is printed in Animal Welfare, the journal of the Universities Federation for Animal Welfare, has shown that up to half of all foxes which are shot are wounded and not killed.

The MWG commissioned the study in 2002 and it has just been thoroughly peer reviewed. It contradicts the pre-ban claims of some animal rights groups that shooting was more humane than hunting a fox using dogs.

Lembit Öpik, co-founder of the group, said: 'The research proves conclusively that the pro-ban groups were plain wrong. In many cases guns don't kill the fix outright, leading to large numbers of wounded animals.

'Many end up dying over hours, days or even weeks. We've long suspected that shooting does not reduce suffering. After all, with dogs it's all or nothing.'

Lady Golding who is co-chairman of the group, added: 'The next Government must look again at the Hunting Act and replace it with genuine animal welfare measures.'

Do you have any news stories for Countrylife.co.uk? Email the News Desk
Old 05-05-2005, 06:50   #102
Resident Waffler

Didn't I mention somewhere earlier that shooting wasn't a humane alternative? The people who think it is are probably people who have no experience of the countryside and no idea what happens to a wounded animal. It's as bad as the well-meaning idiots who released a load of mink into the countryside to be kind to the mink without giving a thought to all the other animals they were being unkind to which were subsequently attacked by the mink.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 14:08   #103
Foreign Correspondent

Speaking of the government going out of its way to ban things that it has no business meddling with - a number of years back the Governor of NJ had the Health Department ban restaurants from selling eggs unless the yolks were cooked hard, as a means of preventing salmonella. Of course, many folks who wanted their fried eggs without petrified yolks (or Ceasar salads made in the traditional manner) decided to just save the bother and cook them at home. The howl that went up from the restaurant owners quickly got that regulation changed.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 17:24   #104
Resident Waffler

Can't remember where it was but we were in a restaurnt fairly recently where if you wanted a runny egg you had to sign a disclaimer waving any liability in possible case of food poisoning.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 17:53   #105
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Can't remember where it was but we were in a restaurnt fairly recently where if you wanted a runny egg you had to sign a disclaimer waving any liability in possible case of food poisoning.
I think that the only thing "liable" to happen in such a case is that I could be "re-liably" counted on to get up from my table and take my business elsewhere.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..