Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2008, 18:49   #1

What are they hiding there?

Came across this on google......seems very mysterious.......

www.angelfire.com/mn2/Oubliette/Heapey.html
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2008, 19:01   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: What are they hiding there?

Couldn't get through.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 19:02   #3
God Member

Me neither
Old 17-09-2008, 19:04   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

HEAPEY, THERE'S TRAIN IN THEM THAR HILLS. by Rory Lushman.

try this
I think
Old 17-09-2008, 19:45   #5

copy and paste into your toolbar..............
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 21:37   #6
Resident Waffler

I copied and pasted the original posting but it was ineffective. Were you referring to the link panther posted?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 21:55   #7
God Member

I read Panther's link and found it very interesting.
It does sound a bit eccentric to store steam trains,but when you think about it, in the event of petrol and deisel being totally unavailable, they would provide the only means of transport apart from the horse.
We have still got lots of coal to fuel them.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 13:32   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: What are they hiding there?

This tale beats the alien conspiracy stories all ends up.

But it doesn’t seem practical to preserve old steam engines. Steam technology has moved on since the ‘Steam Age’ and instead of steam driving the pistons to drive the wheels it would be more efficient to use steam to drive a turbine that turns an electricity generator, to drive an electric motor to drive the wheels. The expended steam could be condensed back into water to be used again instead of being expelled into the atmosphere. The hot smoke could be used to heat the carriages and then compressed to be safely disposed of at journey’s end.

It would be more efficient than current electric trains. For every 10 kilowatts generated at a power station only some 6 kilowatts are available to be used by an electric train.

There was a programme on telly a few days ago showing how a group of people had built a brand new steam engine from scratch using old plans. It took them years but it looked a fine beast to me.

MargaretR – did you forget about electrified railways?
Old 18-09-2008, 14:56   #9
God Member

I considered the scenario where most electricity is produced by petroleum gas turbines which it is.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 12:46   #10

Interesting link but I am always very sceptical of links such as this. For starters, if someone is convinced there is a conspiracy, they will usually go out of their way to find evidence to support it no matter how tenuous. Secondly, if it is something genuine that is being kept secret, the likes of Joe Public are never going to find the answers anyway.

I personally cant see the point of manning a site that seems useless so there must be a function to it. It could be anything - from an unsafe site to goods which the Home Office (or whomever) doesnt want people to gain acess to, though its probably fairly boring and benign. It could be old wwII weapons, exposives, bombs or something which are presently no risk but could be if interferred with. It could be a site that shouldnt be disturbed. It could be something that has a material value (an old steam engine would be worth a fortune) but is being kept where it is.

All in all, I would imagine its probably something quite boring and I suspect we will never know anyway.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 13:04   #11

Think this one has been sorted.

I looked it up on Wiki-pedia. Heres the link Heapey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently BAE have a depot there that could be the same thing. If thats the case then it will be an explosives store. Explosives have to be stored in a remote, safe location (I used to have to inspect explosives stores) and that place would make an ideal location. For me, that's mystery solved. Obviosuly, its got to be secure so BAE arent going to let anyone just wander in to their explosives store, but il bet anything that thats what it is.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 13:53   #12
I am Banned

I can't see the point of storing old steam engines, the boilers would be knackered by now, if they are old steam engines you would need workshops to build the new boilers, and all the other stuff thats rusted away, plus rail tracks to run them on.

Theres a lot of old WW2 ordanance still not disposed of yet, cordite has to be stored in special conditions, the nitro glycerine can separate, (known as sweating) and become very dangerous. Most British ammunition propelants were cordite based

In Belgium, they are still trying to catch up on disposing of WW1 gas shells.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..