Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2020, 23:38   #1

What are your childhood memories of Easter?

On Easter Sunday we had one hard-boiled egg each which we coloured, and then we would go to a nearby hill and roll the egg down – trying to hit the eggs the other children were rolling. We did this over and over again until all the eggs were smashed. Didn’t take long but produced lots of laughs. Simple fun, happy days...

No chocolate eggs or bunnies – rationing still applying for some of those years, plus we probably couldn’t have afforded them anyway.

Rationing – wonder how those modern-day panic-buyers would have managed….answer is they wouldn’t!
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2020, 07:27   #2
Beacon of light

Re: What are your childhood memories of Easter?

My memories of Easter.....being got up early to go to Mass.
My Ma was a catholic convert and feared purgatory if she did not attend mass.
I always had something new for Easter(though it might have been from a jumble sale...it was new to me). They used to say that the crows would mess on you if you did not have something new for Easter.
We would walk to Sacred Heat Church on Blackburn Road....our bellies rumbling....no food before Mass.
Ma took me because I was the only one who would go with her....and my motivation was not religion....it was the fried bread done in bacon fat when I got home(I hope I do not burn in the fires of hell for that confession).
The Church was beautiful. And the Latin mass was magnificent to listen to, but it made me really very sad to think that Jesus died for my sins.
I could not think of anything I had done that was so bad they killed him for me.

So I was never fond of Easter.
Like you Dorothy, we did not get chocolate eggs either...in fact we considered ourselves lucky if we get a proper egg.

Needless to say that I did not take up the faith when I grew up.
And Ma, well she came to the conclusion that purgatory was here....and she lapsed, though I think in her heart she still had faith of some kind.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 11-04-2020 at 07:30.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:18   #3
God Member

Re: What are your childhood memories of Easter?

some may say i was lucky but i didn,t think so at the time. we usually went away at easter and i missed going to at least one football match due to it. only ever got 2 chocolate eggs any easter and then it took me weeks and weeks to finish em off if my sister didn,t get there first.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..