Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2013, 10:44   #31
Beacon of light

Re: What exactly is wrong with you?

Oh, I used to be full of quips for that type of patient....he's having his flue swept(tho....it doesn't quite work on the men's ward - much better in the lingerie department).......he's having the slopstone taken out and a new stainless steel sink put in....that kind of answer told them nothing, other than to MYOB in a nice jokey sort of way.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2013, 13:16   #32
God Member

speaking of "what is wrong with you " isnt it infuriating when a receptionist at a doctors such as accy pals asks for details of your illness or problem when you ask to see a doctor infront of a que of people.I have since left that dump and now attend a doctors where you ask a receptionist to see a doctor and the only thing your asked is what time would you like out of the available slots.It must be an accy pals thing though because most of their staff now work at the doctors i attend and they dpnt need to know what is wrong with you they leave that to the doctor to decide which is how it should be done

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 13:21   #33
Beacon of light

Yes, it is annoying. My daughter who has recently spent more time at this place than she would like to, just tells them it is her 'usual problem'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 18:06   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
speaking of "what is wrong with you " isn't it infuriating when a receptionist at a doctors such as accy pals asks for details of your illness or problem when you ask to see a doctor infront of a que of people.I have since left that dump and now attend a doctors where you ask a receptionist to see a doctor and the only thing your asked is what time would you like out of the available slots.It must be an accy pals thing though because most of their staff now work at the doctors i attend and they dpnt need to know what is wrong with you they leave that to the doctor to decide which is how it should be done
I used to have a doctors in Haslingden who were the same, it was like taking the third degree to try and see the doc. so I used to ring up instead, off course then you got the old well I'm sorry but we don't have an appointment time until a week next pancake Tuesday, I just replied that's fine, I'll have an home visit then please, I'm ill today not a week next pancake Tuesday, it always astounded me how quickly they could conjure up an appointment out of thin air on the very same day
maxthecollie likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 00:55   #35

My GP is like that. You have to call first thing (about 8am) to get a morning appointment, if there's none left by the time you call you have to wait until after 1pm to call to get an afternoon appointment. Or they say they can't fit you in unless it's an emergency. I usually would say 'It's not an emergency as in I'm dying right now, but it's an emergency as in, I need to see a GP today or it may get a lot worse!' -and that usually worked.I try to avoid doctors if at all possible-and when I do go I usually self-diagnose first then go in and say 'Ive got this, I need some of this' and they usually agree and oblige!
Old 25-02-2013, 08:00   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
My GP is like that. You have to call first thing (about 8am) to get a morning appointment, if there's none left by the time you call you have to wait until after 1pm to call to get an afternoon appointment. Or they say they can't fit you in unless it's an emergency. I usually would say 'It's not an emergency as in I'm dying right now, but it's an emergency as in, I need to see a GP today or it may get a lot worse!' -and that usually worked.I try to avoid doctors if at all possible-and when I do go I usually self-diagnose first then go in and say 'Ive got this, I need some of this' and they usually agree and oblige!
It seems to focus the mind of any doctors receptionist when you hit the ball firmly back in their court, with backspin on it
Old 27-02-2013, 22:42   #37

It really bothered me actually because in my experience, when you're ill, half the time you can't sleep or are more tired than usual-perhaps both!And when you do get to sleep, having to wake up at 8 am to phone the doc was often stressful and involved you having to get up and sit with the 'phone to your ear for up to an hour (maybe more, that's just the longest time I remember) waiting to get through-not good when you've got something wrong with you no matter what it is, really. I've moved house now and need to register with a new one-hopefully this one will be better!
Old 27-02-2013, 23:58   #38
God Member

i dont think it matters where you live any more and you can now register with any practice as they can no longer refuse because of your location if i recall correctly

i recomend the one at accy vic hospital they are extreemly good and are taking on again soon when they have relocated to what was the physio therapy department which is bigger .If you cant get an appointment which is rare you can see a doctor as a drop in patient but you could be waiting 5 mins to 1 hour depending on how busy they are.

i spent so much time there as a drop in patient because i could never see a doctor at accy pals i registered with them

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 00:05   #39

I thought of you today Sue, having been to Burnley General.
After having a field test at the eye clinic, I was directed to sit outside and there were only 3 seats, the middle one being occupied, I sat on the left of a lady who I just knew was going to ask me what I was there for!
She did, first sentence, I replied that 'I wasn't sure '.
I was next to her for about 5 minutes and got chapter and verse on her expectant laser treatment,
Some people I think ask you but really want to tell you..
Eric likes this.
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:35   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
It really bothered me actually because in my experience, when you're ill, half the time you can't sleep or are more tired than usual-perhaps both!And when you do get to sleep, having to wake up at 8 am to phone the doc was often stressful and involved you having to get up and sit with the 'phone to your ear for up to an hour (maybe more, that's just the longest time I remember) waiting to get through-not good when you've got something wrong with you no matter what it is, really. I've moved house now and need to register with a new one-hopefully this one will be better!
I sometimes wonder how this type of doctors surgery exists SM, when I lived in Hassy I often rang for an appointment and was always asked by the receptionist what was wrong, I just said that's between me and your boss, they didn't like it much, but they had to lump it.
Sunflower49 likes this.
Old 28-02-2013, 08:42   #41
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
I thought of you today Sue, having been to Burnley General.
After having a field test at the eye clinic, I was directed to sit outside and there were only 3 seats, the middle one being occupied, I sat on the left of a lady who I just knew was going to ask me what I was there for!
She did, first sentence, I replied that 'I wasn't sure '.
I was next to her for about 5 minutes and got chapter and verse on her expectant laser treatment,
Some people I think ask you but really want to tell you..
Yes Steve, I got another one this week but I was prepared, I just said that I really didn't want to talk about it. She did though, and that was fair enough, she had only had one treatment and was a bit unsure, whereas I'm on my tenth... I listened until her transport turned up to take her home.

Hope all's well with you.
Old 28-02-2013, 08:48   #42
God Member

Doctors rarely admit their shortcomings.
Five years ago I was struggling to stay awake and was gasping for breath.
Tests he did were negative so doc said 'there is nothing wrong with you'.
He should have said 'I don't know what is wrong with you'.

I had to find out myself by trial and error.

I have never consulted my doc since then - I know my body better than he does.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..