Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2004, 04:53   #1

What has happened to Britain?

I've just read the following poem and wondered what some of our site members think of it. Any responses?

I vow to thee my country,
the things despised by Blair,
Freedom, truth, integrity,
those virtues now so rare.
We live in times of twists and lies,
of government by spin,
Where the greatest crime for citizens
is love of kith and kin.
Where taxes keep on rising
for decent, law- abiding folk.
Where sovereignty is vanishing
under Brussels' heavy yoke.

All hail to thee, oh Tony,
Prime Minister divine,
Creator of New Labour
and the Britain of our time.
We dare not ask the questions
that help us to reflect
How the country lost its soul
to what's politically correct.
We're becoming a nation broken,
our spirit ever weaker,
Held to ransom by burglar, thug
and asylum seeker.

They tell us there's more money
for the school and NHS,
But with those bureaucrats to pay
the systems still a mess.
In anarchic modern Britain,
violence rules the street;
The bobby who used to keep us safe
has made a tactical retreat.
Terrorists are in our midst,
they have us in their sights,
But the Government's priority
is to protect their human rights.

But there was another country,
that flourished long ago,
A Britain that was proud and free,
one you wouldn't know.
It was a gentle nation,
its people brave and bright,
A country that knew its worth
and had the will to fight,
To preserve its own culture,
that stood for what was best,
In this green and pleasant land,
knowing it was best

:engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil:
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-08-2004, 06:00   #2
God Member

Re: What has happened to Britain?

I couldn't agree more, Well said Darby!
Old 24-08-2004, 06:56   #3
mez
God Member

i could not agree more, id really like to know WHY our dads, uncles, brothers fought in the 2nd w/war for? i alwaYs thought it was to keep britain a free country?
Old 24-08-2004, 08:13   #4

Australia, is going the American way, Howard is under the thumb of George W, grovl, grovl. Here in Tassie, we have just had a Govener resign after 10 months in office, and they are going to give him a $650,000, handshake, Richard Butler ( ex weapons inspector, ). They should never have given him the job, his ego got in the way, I think the tassie govmt are having second thoughts, because of a public outcry.Sounds like Blair, is more of a Conservative than Labour, or is it Labor.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 13:29   #5

Can someone please explain to me why it is, that whenever this kind of thread comes up, there is always someone who implies that America is 'taking over the world' and their actions are responsible for most of its problems? I thought that was the job of the terrorists. Alan, all due respect to you, it is obvious from the standard of your posts that you are an intelligent person. However, although 'labor' is spelt that way in the USA, it does not mean that you are obliged to spell it that way in Australasia or the UK. I really consider that those kinds of 'digs' are a little out of order. I really don't believe that people in America look upon Australasia or the UK as 'under the American thumb.' Most people here look upon those people as their closest friends in the world, who generally stick together through thick and thin. You should hear how they speak about the French! America has become the most powerful nation the world has ever known. They have managed to do this without widespread colonisation as all the previous great powers of the world did, including, may I say, England.:engsmil: I know that Britain was the last great power and I suppose many people there feel that power has been usurped by America, but they didn't come over, conquer us and beat us into submission. I am also aware that Americans are inclined to be insular and many of them are unaware just how the other half of the world live and how living standards have dropped in other countries, including the UK. They are not to blame for it though, that has been handled very capably by the many Borough Councils such as Hyndburn and successive poor economic strategies by governments of both parties. America fought the 2nd. world war alongside her closest alies and together we were victorious. If you look at the two defeated countries, Germany and Japan, I'm sure you'll agree that they're doing very well indeed within the grand scheme of things. I'm very sure we would not have done so well if the wars had gone the other way against those powers. This says more about our countries than any rhetoric spouted by today's detractors and/or terrorists. We English-speaking nations (I use the term loosely) are very much the same kind of people with the same kind of goals, hopes and fears. I would like to think that most people in Australasia and the UK look upon the American people as their friends, because that is certainly how you are looked upon here. I have a great love for both the UK and America and am truly saddened when I feel any sourness brought to the relationship. We are never going to put the world to rights, but together, perhaps we can keep our own houses in some kind of order and attempt to preserve our individual ways of life, which, despite some differences, are very similar.

Yours in friendship,

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 13:51   #6

JohnW.

I think far to much hysteria is made about the USA. They are without doubt the best friend that the UK has ever had (at least in the last century), and without them we would be goose-stepping down Broadway (our Broadway not yours).

Having spent some time in the US, and as my nephew was born (and still lives there), I have found some Americans naieve, but all friendly and polite. I do not berate your President, you elected him and that's democracy. I have reluctantly to accept that T. Blair is our Prime Minister, that's democracy...and I accept it (don't like it though). However, come the next election..I think I may just be fortunate enough to see him ousted in a democratic way.

It's very easy and very popular to have a go at "the Yanks", and shows how little courage they have that do it.

So goes the old addages "those that live in geenhouses, shouldn't throw stones" or "let those without sin cast the first stone"!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 14:37   #7
God Member

Here's a little quiz question for everyone to answer:

There are only 5 countries, which in the twentieth century,

- were never invaded and

- maintained democracy and

- renounced neutrality (any silly buggar can run away when the going gets tough)

Name them and state the one thing they have in common.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 24-08-2004 at 14:41.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 14:41   #8
Member.

United Kingdom
New Zealand
Australia
America
Canada

All our's at one time are another...... I've mada a bu**er of it haven't I?

Last edited by Doug; 24-08-2004 at 14:42.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 14:50   #9
God Member

Doug gets the goldfish.....yep. all ours....a common language, the rule of law and a similar set of values.
Old 24-08-2004, 15:08   #10
Senior Member+

In the maintaining democracy bit does Maggies years of power count?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 15:14   #11
God Member

Do you want to include the years she had a full & frank exchange of opinion with those towering democrats, messrs Scargill & Galtieri?
Old 24-08-2004, 15:23   #12
Senior Member+

You can do as I had to go to a s**& hole that they call the Falklands and also to the Middle east for the first Gulf War, as for Scargill all he did was try to keep a union presence in the UK he knew if the miners failed we would end up buying coal from Poland and the USA for more money then it cost in the UK which in turn would put up the price of most everyday basics.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 15:32   #13

Hi Darby,

You say you hope to see Tony Blair ousted at the next election. My only concern is, who are you going to elect in his place? From what I've seen of the likely contenders, he is the best of a very mediocre lot, and that is coming from someone who stands right of centre (center).

JohnW

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 24-08-2004 at 17:58.
Old 24-08-2004, 15:37   #14
God Member

What are you complaining about, Bazf? You joined the Army to see the world, did'nt you? Anyway, Major was in charge for the first Gulf war. As regards the price of coal....I think you're getting a little confused with your economics there. Excepting that aside, if Scargill really had had the interests of the miners at heart, then he would'nt have been playing politics with the NUM. But then again, he'e only the president for life.
Old 24-08-2004, 15:38   #15

Hi Bazf,

I have to say I think "our Arthur's" agenda crept somewhat beyond keeping a union presence in the UK.

Which branch of the army were you in? I would be very interested to hear any stories you have of the time spent in both the Falklands and the Gulf. We who have never been in the service have little, if any, idea of what it is really like to go and fight a war.

JohnW.

JohnW

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..