Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2017, 06:15   #91
Beacon of light

Re: What is the alternative?

Neil, if my GP sends me to hospital or to a clinic, it is because I am entitled to treatment.
I have been registered with the practice since the early eighties.
If I go to some other location...the Isle of Wight for instance, I can prove who I am with my NI number...I can prove I have paid into the system which I wish to access.
I think we have trodden this ground before.

The point is that hospitals are very poor at collecting their dues when it is blatantly obvious that the person being treated needs to be billed.

Maybe things have changed at out local hospital, but somehow, I very much doubt it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2017, 09:53   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Neil, if my GP sends me to hospital or to a clinic, it is because I am entitled to treatment.
I have been registered with the practice since the early eighties.
If I go to some other location...the Isle of Wight for instance, I can prove who I am with my NI number...I can prove I have paid into the system which I wish to access.
I think we have trodden this ground before.

The point is that hospitals are very poor at collecting their dues when it is blatantly obvious that the person being treated needs to be billed.

Maybe things have changed at out local hospital, but somehow, I very much doubt it.
Spot on Marge, my wife and I spent three weeks in the afore mentioned Isle of Wight in September, as I was not feeling too chipper after the first couple of days I called into the local medical centre, explained my symptoms and received an appointment with a GP within twenty four hour's.
Without going into detail I was diagnosed with a double infection and was prescribed a seven day supply of a strong antibiotics, once these kicked in we were able to enjoy the rest of our holiday.
Many folk in our great country decry the N.H.S. but to my mind it is still the best in the world, (if you have a genuine complaint).

Your's Taddy.
hilleluk likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 10:26   #93
Beacon of light

Glad it served you well Taddy...but my point was wherever I go in these islands that make up the Uk...I have the ability to prove that I am entitled to treatment without having an identity card.

The other point I was making was, it is all well and good to say that those who are NOT entitled, will be charged if there is no one in the trusts who is responsible for doing the chasing of the money then it makes a mockery of the whole thing.
It is 15 years since I worked in the NHS...maybe it has changed, but I seriously doubt it.

It makes absolutely no sense at all to be asking me(who has a hospital record on microfiche going back to the early seventies) if I am liable to pay.
It does make sense to ask those who speak no English, or very little English...those who ask for an interpreter if they are entitled to treatment without charge...and even take financial details before treatment commences(except in dire circumstances).

The questioning has to be profiled...and it should be administrative staff who do this rather than medical personnel.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 27-10-2017 at 10:28.
Old 28-10-2017, 08:46   #94

I agree with you entirely.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 11:32   #95
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Had to drag this thread back out again due to an article I read today. Is it any wonder the NHS is constantly bleating it's skint? Paying for interpretors (it doesn't happen anywhere else in Europe to my knowledge) & common purpose Judges awarding for the stupid!

Personally I find something not quite right about this incident, the redolent whiff of "compo" taints the air.

Refugee Family Set to Win Millions from NHS for Not Using Foreign Language to Explain Importance of Feeding Newborn | Breitbart
Old 15-04-2018, 11:50   #96

Says everything about what is going on in this country...The mother's so called common sense should have come into play here, she should have known how and when to feed her baby, no interpreters needed. Yes Dave you are right it does and probably will have been compensation motivated.
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 12:51   #97
Beacon of light

When I worked in the NHS, we spent shed loads of money having patient information leaflets printed in foreign languages.
These were useless as many of the women in our care could not read them as they spoke different dialects.
We employed link workers but theu only worked office hours.
Anyone using any health services should have to find(and if necessary pay for) their own interpreters.
The alternative is to get these women to learn English.
Some of the women I looked after had been here in excess of two decades and still could not speak the language.
Old 15-04-2018, 13:01   #98
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thing is with interpreters, we had to pay for em,when we lived in Spain, never bothered us one bit, and not just for the health service,Mind Spain are obviously not as stupid as the pillocks that decide things here.
Old 15-04-2018, 17:45   #99
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You are looking at it the wrong way round. Everyone who attends hospital/GP should have to prove they are entitled to treatment or produce a payment means first. Like Dave said happens in Germany.
I don't need any form of identification if I go to any clinic, or out patients in this country, they will know instantly where I come from as soon as I start tawking, and if there still in any doubt, my next words will be in real earthy Anglo Saxon, int broadest Lanky they've ever heard.
A few years back face ache and I were in a garden center int far North of Scotland, and the proprietor said, are you from Blackburn, I replied no but she is, I'm from Accrington, so if a Scots man in the far North, can put me within 5 miles of where I was born, then thats all the identificatiion I need
MITZY and Margaret Pilkington like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 18:13   #100

Quote:
When I worked in the NHS, we spent shed loads of money having patient information leaflets printed in foreign languages.
These were useless as many of the women in our care could not read them as they spoke different dialects.
We employed link workers but theu only worked office hours.
Anyone using any health services should have to find(and if necessary pay for) their own interpreters.
The alternative is to get these women to learn English.
Some of the women I looked after had been here in excess of two decades and still could not speak the language.
What's the betting that this mother still does not speak English?
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 18:45   #101
Beacon of light

it's odds on.
And this is because they do NOT integrate at all.
They spend their lives in their own communities segregated from western life.
They might just as well be back in their own country.
Why would you choose to move to a country whose culture is so vastly different and keep to the old countries ways?
KiTChener likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-04-2018 at 18:49.
Old 15-04-2018, 19:11   #102
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
it's odds on.
And this is because they do NOT integrate at all.
They spend their lives in their own communities segregated from western life.
They might just as well be back in their own country.
Why would you choose to move to a country whose culture is so vastly different and keep to the old countries ways?
One word " BENEFITS"
Old 15-04-2018, 19:35   #103
Beacon of light

yes...I wasn't going to say it....but I thought it.
Old 15-04-2018, 20:48   #104
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
yes...I wasn't going to say it....but I thought it.
Thats the difference Margaret, i take no prisoners.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 15-04-2018, 21:00   #105
Beacon of light

I know that Cashy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..