Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2003, 15:25   #1

Post What price the EU Privacy Laws?

So the EU have given in and are to provide personal information on air passengers travelling to the USA.
While supporting the fight against terrorism, I can't see that credit card details etc will help this in any way.
The announcement states that 'European privacy laws will be respected while offering the US authorities the details they need.' then carries on to say there will be no bulk sharing with other US agencies. So which agency is to receive the details? US Customs is the one mentioned.
It seems that the statement is a contradiction in terms, how are they respecting the privacy laws if information is to be handed out?
You may ask yourself as I did, "Are US citizens details given to EU countries?" The answer appears to be no as we don't have the legislation in place to insist on reciprical information.
Makes me glad I neither can afford or want to travel to the US.
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2003, 17:14   #2
Senior Member+

Post Re: What price the EU Privacy Laws?

Personally i am all for any form of cross information that will prevent these fanatics.Its really only if you have something to hide, then you have something to fear
Old 19-12-2003, 07:50   #3
God Member

Dead right Mik. I am sick & tired of  the trendy do-gooding liberals who are always whinging on about their civil liberties...it's a result of that mentality that police forces are uncertain (despite what the goverment says) what they can and can't hold on file. Hence Huntley.

It's the same do-gooding mob who want to repatriate "British" citizens from Guantanimo Bay so they can have a fair trial in Britain. Yeah, sure.........they'll be walking the streets in days. Let the yanks keep them...in fact, we should be rounding more of 'em up and shipping them out there.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2003, 09:27   #4

No Human rights without Human responsibilities, and that means not trying to kill people.

Anything that minimises or removes terrorists cannot be a bad thing.  I don't mind having to wait at the airport whilst they check out other passengers baggage.  It's better than having the plane blow-up at 30,000 ft.

Human rights???  Not if you haven't earned them!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2003, 11:28   #5
God Member

Dead Right Darby.
Back to the original posting. No one is telling you to go to the US.........but if you do decide to go there, it's their country, their rules. Simple enough. I admire them for what they are doing - they are simply asking for background information on who you are. Remember, it was a British guy - Reid - who tried to blow up the plane with a bomb in his shoe.

As for "European Rights" - what a load of bo**ocks that is! No one has asked me my opinion on selling out the sovereignty of this country to that bunch of To**ers in Brussels, unelected by no one. It's now British law that if I'm proping up the bar in my local hostelry in Church and decide  to call the Frogs a bunch of ar**holes, I can be extradited to France there to stand trial before a French "Court", on a charge of racial incitement. Where's my human rights there? Where's my free speech gone?

The "EU" can go and stick itself up it's you-know-what.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2003, 11:31   #6
mez
God Member

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]im in full agreement with you   tea leaf
Old 19-12-2003, 14:46   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have no objection to having my baggage checked at airports, and my personal details checked. All my luggage was x-rayed and sniffed at by dogs and swabbed for explosives, as I entered Australia and New Zealand. The immigration forms take some filling in too. Personally I would rather be safe, than quibble over a few minor personal details.  Sadly when I arrived back in blighty, there wasn't even an officer on the customs desks at Heathrow or at Manchester. Made me regret not bringing 1000's of fags back.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2003, 09:31   #8
Jo

I agree with Darby and Tealeaf's argzuments but must clarify one point. ALL human beings should have the basic human rights granted to them by the general agreement on human rights laid down by the UN in 1947.
Human beings do not EARN these rights, Darby, they are there for everyone.
Privacy, however, is not a human right, as you suggest, it is an additional right that countires decide (or not) to grant their citizens through legislation. I think it very important not to mix up the two.

For reference:
http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/navigate/alpha.htm  -   click on english for English version
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2003, 11:19   #9
Senior Member+

Cannot totally agree with you there Jo.It is a basic right that i have my privacy and that people respect my views and aspects.They do on no account have to agree with me on any point at all but everybodys wishes should be respected providing that no other party is abused or injured, emotionally as physically.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..