Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 19:23   #136
God Member

Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

What do we make of the implied suggestion in The Telegraph that the attack was aimed at the Mela festival, shortly to be held in the park?
Old 02-08-2004, 22:00   #137
God Member

Please excuse my ignorance - but what's a mela festival?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:12   #138
Senior Member+

http://www.asianimage.co.uk/lancashi.../AIBOLLY0.html

Could be something Asian by the look of it or it could be Middle East Librarians Association.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:14   #139
God Member

A Mela is an Asian 'Arts' festival. Lots of loud music, singing, dancing, food and general carrying on. this one is organised by Pennine Arts.
Old 03-08-2004, 18:02   #140
God Member

Next year I will organise a "bash". (dunno where). Otherwise known as an English Arts Festival. Lots of loud music, drink, etc, etc. Can't see any problem, can you? - other than racists stirring things up.

Any ideas?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 18:26   #141
Resident Waffler

We've had a Mela or two before without problems. If this was racist motivated then perhaps the people who did it don't realise that it isn't only Asians who enjoy a Mela. It should be an opportunity for people to mix and mingle and enjoy themselves. We also have other examples of loud music in the park which should be open to enjoyment by all. Whoever chose to destroy the bandstand has spoiled the enjoyment for many people.

Just a quick bit of a wander back to what ceejache was saying about school governors not wanting to expel pupils because they would lose money - as a school governor I'd just like to point out that it's not the governors who lose the money it is the school and consequently the teachers because if there is less money available for resources etc it makes their job more difficult. If teachers don't appreciate that governors are trying to do their best for the school (that includes pupils and teachers) and bear in mind it is a totally voluntary commitment and often very time consuming governors can become very discouraged. I wouldn't want to be a teacher myself in this day and age with the discipline problem in classrooms and teachers in a no win situation. We had an incident of a child throwing furniture at the staff. That child had to be removed from the classroom environment as he was a danger to staff and other pupils.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 18:49   #142

So Stop Moaning
:engsmil: 4-4-2 is the future :engsmil:
Stanleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 18:54   #143

Sorry Willow - I know its the school who lose money and not the governors! Apologies if it read otherwise. I know its voluntary and, again, a thankless task - yet often from an ex-teachers point of view it is not as much a lack of resources that hold pupils back, I find it to be the amount of disruptive influences.

In my experience as a secondary music teacher I had limited resources, one keyboard between two or three pupils, but with a class of fairly well-behaved pupils great results could be produced. I firmly believe that harder sanctions and a policy of exclusion for constant misdeamours would result in a greater yield of encouraging performances across the enite curriculum and therefore a better pass rate of five GCSE's between A* - C. To be brutally honest many of the 'wilder' pupils are responsible for the otherwise fine resources becoming dilapted and defunct.

Also, on a slightly different note, OFSTED inspections provoke nothing but fear amongst staff trying to do their best in very trying circumstances. I know governors can do nothing about this....but they are hell.
Old 06-08-2004, 18:56   #144

I hope that was tongue in cheek Stanleyman!
Old 06-08-2004, 19:12   #145
Resident Waffler

I totally agree with you about the Ofsted inspections. They don't get a proper impression of the school anyway. And yes it's often a struggle to manage on far less equpiment than would be ideal and then some little ratbag destroying what little there is.

I know it's non PC but I think the main problem in schools is caused by the teachers no longer having authority over unruly pupils because they are no longer permitted to punish them. In my day the mere threat of a physical punishment was often enough deterrant.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 19:23   #146
God Member

Quote:
I know it's non PC but I think the main problem in schools is caused by the teachers no longer having authority over unruly pupils because they are no longer permitted to punish them. In my day the mere threat of a physical punishment was often enough deterrant
i would dissagree wiht that statement by the fact that such punishment was handed out.. if it was a deterrant then no one would be punished... Dont know about your school but at mine it was used and wasnt just for show to deter people..... no cain at ours..it was a leather strap.

for them that dont know... this was at a secondry modern school and used on kids 11 to 15 years old.. some teachers had double layer leather straps.... usually there was no set amount of hits... just keep going until you cried..... being "ard" at our school would ahve been a dissadvantage..... i can tell ya it didnt take too many hits with a double leather strap to have my eyes watering thats for sure..

whats that really crap saying..... school best years of your life?.,.... yeagh right
Old 06-08-2004, 21:42   #147
Always EVIL within us

Unhappy Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

Willow and Kipax,
I can see both your differing points of view and depending on your circumstances, you could both be right. At my school, the ultimate threat was to be sent to the "Headmaster" who would inflict punishment via the cane.

There was no "badge of honour" for those sent to the Headmaster and in fact, the pain of the cane was far less than the humiliation of knowing that your friends knew where you had been and why! In my day (god, am I THAT old?) it was understood that if a student "crossed the line" he or she would have the ultimate punishment ...and worse still, your parents would be informed!!! This kept "most" children on the straight and narrow! My worst demeanour as a child was "Scrumping!" I don't know if you use the same word Ooop north, but it means knicking fruit from trees belonging to someone else! But within my school, there was a hardcore (3 - 4,) of children that did not have the mental capacity to become part of the community. These children were outcasts amonst their own rather than heroes!

BUT..... There were a few schools, many have now been exposed, where the "teachers" were being "turned on" by inflicting punishment to children and Kipax, it sounds as if you were in one of those, where children were being punished for the slightest reason.

Unfortunately, instead of inspecting the actions of individual teachers, the "PC Brigade" brought in sweeping measures to protect children and in doing so, brought down the authority of teachers and parents alike!

The end result is that children of 8 or 9 "know their rights" and are aware that they cannot be punished by either teachers or parents. In America (and soon in this country) despite being juvenile, they can start court proceedings against their own parents if they have a hand raised against them..............and then they go out and mug a pensioner!!!

They say history repeats itself, but in this instance, there is no going back, We have to live with teenagers that have no respect for the rights of individuals and have no consciounse (come on Roy, how about that "spellcheck?) until they reach their 20's and want to settle down to a peaceful life .........and find that teenagers (as they were) are causing mayhem and causing aggro!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 21:51   #148
Always EVIL within us

Apologies, I replied to comments made by Willow and Kipax on page 10, but now realise that this has nothing to do with the original thread. Personally, I like the idea that conversations can go off at a tangent which makes things more interesting..........but realise now that I should stick to the original thread. sorry....(ish)
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:52   #149

Busman,

I have to tell you that, having lived in both the UK and the USA, IMHO the juvenile delinquency problem is far worse over your side of the pond than it is over here. Let me just give you one example.

I live on a golf course and the other day, four teenage lads, (maybe 16/17 years old) decided they would take a shortcut through my garden to get to their houses which are on the other side of the fairway. I went outside and told them that they were trespassing, that my garden was not a public right of way and that I didn't appreciate them using it as such. The four of them apologised and said that it wouldn't happen again. What do you think the chances are I would have received a similar response in the UK?

I really am amazed when people make sweeping comments that give the impression that America's supposed problems with teenage violence are worse than anywhere else. It simply is not true. At least, not in the region I live. Maybe in some of the inner cities there are problems but I still consider them less that the problems in much of Europe. I have been to sporting events here, baseball, American football etc in large inner-city stadia holding 100K people and have never seen any trouble. I'm sure it will surprise you to know that I've never even heard anyone utter so much as a swearword at these events. Contrast that with what goes on every week during football season in England. I've seen that first hand; having been a season ticket holder at a well-known Lancashire club.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 10:15   #150

You got a point John about where you live but we seen reports of killings in schools there USA and so far I dont think we got it that bad anywhere here yet. I didnt have security patrollin school when I was there. Kids get locked in now not to keep em in to keep bad guys out and that is no joke. In Pakistan children can get hit at school for discipline. Other places also too.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..