Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2004, 00:24   #31
Member.

Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
I'm not surprised Willow asked what was expected in this thread when the first reaction to a reply from him/her was such a negative one.

No unacceptable answers? Perhaps it didn't seem that way from Doug's response which implied that Willow's first post was not worthy of this thread.

For the record I'm all for the free parking and the view from the Coppice.
That’s fine my friend, your opinion is has valid as anyone else’s and I am sure it will be respected. But I would ask you to read perhaps again Post #10 from Willow and Post #11 from myself.

If anyone has bypassed this thread because they feel that their feelings or objects of pride may not be respected by the likes of me, Then they must ask themselves “who I think I am to make them feel that way” What others are proud of may be different but their no less important.

I did not intend to put Willow down by my remarks; I wanted to stimulate a response to get people to open up about what made them proud of the place that they where either born and bred in, brought up in or adopted as their own.

Last edited by Doug; 18-07-2004 at 20:12.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2004, 09:50   #32

I have to say how proud I am of the tripe shop.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 18:46   #33

Gobsmacked - I am not responsible for what Doug posts on here..........!
Old 18-07-2004, 20:18   #34
Member.

You’re quite right their Ceejache……I was wrong to criticise Willow for what he/she believed in, But that would have been apparent if Gobsmacked had read the thread in context…

Last edited by Doug; 19-07-2004 at 15:42.
Old 18-07-2004, 20:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
Gobsmacked - I am not responsible for what Doug posts on here..........!
I wasn't implying that you were. I was responding to the fact that you "shouted" at Willow in capital letters for seemingly needing clarification of the subject matter expected in the thread following initial criticism by the person who inspired your creating the thread in the first place.

Were the capital letters really necessary? Surely someone asking for advice/guidance is entitled to a civil response?
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 08:01   #36

Well sorry if I caused any offence but I wasn't 'shouting' I was drawing attention to the simple and innocent nature of the thread, would it have been better if I had used a different colour font? Maybe.....anyway I later clarified that I wasn't being offensive, the very nature of message boards often doesn't help imply your meaning though!

Doug didn't inspire my creating of the thread, I thought of the idea then later saw that Doug had the idea too so credited him as a 'tip of the hat' to acknowledge the fact.

Doug and myself have not worked 'as a team' on this thread so the fact that Doug disagreed with Willows input does not contort the simple thread title/question originally posted by myself.

I have never been anything other than civil on this and other boards but to be honest I am disappointed that we couldn't come up with more content in this well-meaning thread.
Old 19-07-2004, 10:14   #37
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
I have never been anything other than civil on this and other boards but to be honest I am disappointed that we couldn't come up with more content in this well-meaning thread.
I have got to agree with Ceejache, As for myself I hoped that the people of this site would have given a bit more time to what really made them proud of their town…………..It was not intended as an opportunity to have a go at each other.

Maybe it should have been what you hate about your town….maybe then we would have a more positive and overwhelming response.

I personally applaud these people who can initiate a thread that leads to an open, serious and constructive debate…An extremely good example would be Willows “In search of an old Viaduct”.
Old 19-07-2004, 10:27   #38

I dont wear rose tinted glasses
Old 19-07-2004, 10:33   #39

I dont wear rose tinted glasses!.
Old 19-07-2004, 12:15   #40
God Member

I don't know whether to just laugh or p**s my pants over this nonsense. About the only concensus there appears to be on this thread is the notion that most people from Accy & it's environs are "good, friendly folk"; and yet what do we find? The four main contributors - "all good, friendly, folk" are at each others throats simply because someone has made a posting using capital letters. Is this really the best we can do?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 12:26   #41
God Member

Tealeaf.. pot kettle... how can you complain about people arguing? hahahahahahaha

BTW - FYI.. Capitols does mean shouting on the internet...its not normally used to draw attention to somehting unless you want to shout it Capitols have been used for this.. hmm well 12 years that i know of in all aspects of the internet... Thats not to suggest everyone should know this.. I am just pointing out that its not a messageboard or accyweb thing

HTH
Old 19-07-2004, 12:52   #42
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I don't know whether to just laugh or p**s my pants over this nonsense. About the only concensus there appears to be on this thread is the notion that most people from Accy & it's environs are "good, friendly folk"; and yet what do we find? The four main contributors - "all good, friendly, folk" are at each others throats simply because someone has made a posting using capital letters. Is this really the best we can do?
Pots & Kettles aside, and I respect KIPAX and his contribution to this post….I must agree in full with tealeaf…This is something that is not just particular to this thread either.

Perhaps we should just resign to the fact that we cannot communicate with and degree of eloquence and close this thread due to the lack of interest in what makes us proud of what is in fact “Our Town & District”.

I believe in this web site and its membership. I accept that not all members have the same interest or opinions; I also believe that some spend too much time sitting on the fence. Notwithstanding that I also believe that this site provides a window of opportunity for friendship and a point of contact national and internationally for those who are proud of coming from Accrington. I know I am.
Old 19-07-2004, 16:35   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

I also believe that this site provides a window of opportunity for friendship and a point of contact national and internationally for those who are proud of coming from Accrington. I know I am.
Sod friendship. Save that for the pub & the next Accyweb meeting on 31st July. What we want on here are some good full-blown arguments, with none of this fence-sitting or tired all cliches like "I respect what you say, but about the other side of the argument". Take the opposite view of whatever is posted & go straight for the intellectual jugular; life's to short too compromise. Lets have some threads blown away and plenty of metaphorical blood on the computer screen...
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 16:50   #44
God Member

OMG Tealeafs lost it!... Everyone wise to him and no one will take him on anymore... he's like a lost little boy
Old 19-07-2004, 16:51   #45
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Sod friendship. Save that for the pub & the next Accyweb meeting on 31st July. What we want on here are some good full-blown arguments, with none of this fence-sitting or tired all cliches like "I respect what you say, but about the other side of the argument". Take the opposite view of whatever is posted & go straight for the intellectual jugular; life's to short too compromise. Lets have some threads blown away and plenty of metaphorical blood on the computer screen...

Oh B***** it. Go on then, I'll have some of that, after all we are likely to get a greater responce that way. At least some will able keep up intellectually.....lol

Has for fence sitting "that's all you do Tea, You load um up and let the daft B*****s shoot themselves.....Nice

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..