Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2004, 16:52   #46
Member.

Red face Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
OMG Tealeafs lost it!... Everyone wise to him and no one will take him on anymore... he's like a lost little boy
We just have.....
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2004, 17:03   #47
God Member

Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
OMG Tealeafs lost it!... Everyone wise to him and no one will take him on anymore... he's like a lost little boy
At least I had it in the first place.....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 17:47   #48
Resident Waffler

To get back to the subject of the thread. Sometimes it's easier to be critical of the place where we live not because we dislike it but because we are proud of it and want it to be at its best so that visitors will see and like what they see. I'm not very good at putting this into words so I hope you can understand what I mean.

There isn't much left of anything to make Accrington distinctive which is a shame. That doesn't make it a bad place to live but it does make it difficult to think of anything specific to post in this thread. I find myself thinking of things I wish we still had.

We've got a good market, but we once had a better one. The Tiffany glass collection is special (as has already been said) and the fact that things like the Spinning Jenny were invented locally. The surrounding countryside is attractive to look at and on a par with the view from the Coppice is the view towards the Coppice from Bullough Park.

I moved to Accrington at the age of 4 and have lived here more or less ever since. Perhaps Mez is the ideal person to have something to say in this thread because she says she moved back here by choice because she likes it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 17:56   #49
Member.

Well put Willow..........

I remember the view out towards the coppice from Miller Fold, and the surounding landscape that was always there in my youth...fantastic stuff.
Old 19-07-2004, 19:36   #50

I think what's "good" does not necessarily have to make you "proud." The very word implies some input or sense of achievement to make one proud. We can all be pleased about the view from the Copice, the beauty of the Tiffany glass, the magnificence of the surrounding countryside etc. but "proud" I feel is the wrong word. None of us made the Tiffany glass nor the various beautiful views so we cannot really be proud. Why don't we just ask people what they like about living in Accrington and surrounding districts. What pleases them about the town and what it has to offer. We may get a few more answers. I think "proud" is putting people off replying.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 19:47   #51
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
Why don't we just ask people what they like about living in Accrington and surrounding districts. What pleases them about the town and what it has to offer. We may get a few more answers. I think "proud" is putting people off replying.
It certainly not encouraged them has it. You may have just hit the nail on the head here. But does anything matter John. Every time someone stands up they get knocked down again, even those with well meaning comments don’t escape criticism.

In another thread I have suggested a forum for those interested in there heritage whatever’s left of it so those that aren’t interested don’t need to force themselves to enter and pass comment

Last edited by Doug; 20-07-2004 at 09:43.
Old 19-07-2004, 20:18   #52
Resident Waffler

That was why I was wondering if what I was typing about the Coppice was appropriate and then when I'd posted it I saw that Ceejache had just beat me to it and also mentioned the Coppice.

My problem is that I often don't think of something until somebody else mentions it and then I go "Oh yes I agree with that"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 20:24   #53
Member.

It doesn’t matter willow, its your input that matters and you do alright for yourself.

Last edited by Doug; 20-07-2004 at 09:42.
Old 20-07-2004, 05:23   #54

I have to agree with Tealeaf on this one. I think that all contributors to this thread have in some way misinterpreted postings. That's one of the problems with the written word in comparison with the spoken word.
If Tealeaf sits on the fence, then he sits at an awkward angle, and gives it full throttle when necessary. Ceejache, Willow and Doug all appear to give their own honest opinions, and I for one respect them for their courage, honesty, and intentions. Kipax (bless his little cotton socks), Dry Gulches everyone, but he has his dignity and his opinions and I respect his right to say his bit, even if I disagree with him.

I feel the intention of the thread was well meant, but some responses went in different directions (that appears to be the norm on most sites as well). Accrington (and district...I'm not keen on the term Hyndburn), has its own "charm" and its own "characters", good or bad, like 'em or hate 'em. That's Accy!
Some of the ideas and views expressed were interesting and if you look closely, provide us with an insight into our own personalities and the way in which we think, especially about our environment.

So, as far as I'm concerned....carry on....it makes very interesting reading!!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 06:58   #55
God Member

I have to agree with JohnW's assesment. I think the use of the adjective 'proud' is perhaps a little misleading. Especially when one considers that most of the things that would normally have given rise to that sentiment have long since ceased to exist or occur. It also tends to anchor consideration in the past rather than placing it in the present. I think that it is also pertinent to echo the view that there really isn't an awful lot to base the discussion on in the first place. In many ways Accrington and district has, historically, been poorly served by it's local government and captains of industry. There are few fine buildings and no notable institutions, Art is more often than not regarded as something that children do at school and to be disregarded once working life commences. It strikes me that one of the functions of local government should be to act, in the absence of a resident gentry,to raise standards above that deemed necessary for mere survival.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 09:05   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Kipax (bless his little cotton socks), Dry Gulches everyone, but he has his dignity and his opinions and I respect his right to say his bit, even if I disagree with him.
What on earth makes you think I need the respect of a self confessed out and out racist who spends most of his time moaning about accyweb and his right to attack asian children?

Heres a good plan.. you stop talking about me and I will not respond by mentioning your racist antics on this messageboard.. I niether need or require your blessings.

If you intend to keep having these sly digs at me then dont cry about it when I bite back..
Old 20-07-2004, 09:49   #57

Kipax. Please stop ranting and raving......

Where is your sense of humour????

And don't call me racist, as you are not in a position to denounce anybody.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 09:54   #58
Member.

Oh dear, here we go again......Put the kettle on this may go on a bit. Ok children we will suspend the intellectual process until you've got it out of your systems.

Wake up tea, it's started.......
Old 20-07-2004, 09:56   #59
God Member

My only input to this thread has been friendly and lighthearted yet you felt the need to have a dig at me.. well tough luck cus I bite back..

Stop having a dig at me and I wont feel the need to repsond..Not rocket science is it ?
Old 20-07-2004, 10:01   #60
Member.

He's got a point..........

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..