Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 13:19   #121
God Member

Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

>>wow.. where did you live.. never never land?<<

No Kipax, Accrington, unlike you.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2004, 13:31   #122

I work in schools and every single teacher that I speak to who has around 30/35 years experience says the exact same thing - that behaviour has declined drastically.

Kipax - you are missing the point, the examples you give are of gangs of young men, we are talking about kids here. We know that kids have always got in trouble - we are saying that it happens more and more these days and the offences caused are far graver in their nature, also that we, the public, are powerless to do anything about it. By saying that it has always been this way says to me that you dont see a problem and that nothing should be done to arrest it....fine, opinions are like assholes - everybodys got one, but I am glad that the majority of others haven't been walking around with their eyes and ears shut over the last 30 or so years.
Old 02-08-2004, 13:33   #123
God Member

A-B .......do you have any concept of the smile icon?

I doubt accrington was the shangri-la your making it out to be either.. it was either somehow seperated from the rest of the real world or your memory is playing tricks on you. The painted picture of a few rascals around town kept in line by the community or the local copper... well thats story book stuff isn't it?

Teenagers are teenagers and throughout the ages have always been the preverbial pain in the backside to adults.. theres always been a nasty element (not just a couple either) AND theres always been a good element... But i dont believe for one minute theres ever been good, good and a bit of high jinx anywhere other than in enyd blyton books .
Old 02-08-2004, 13:38   #124
God Member

ceejach.. do i read corretly that your saying I am allowed my opinion.. and then in the same sentence saying i have been walking around with my eyes shut for 30 years..

make your mind up guys.. either this is a public thread or just for you and your mates.. in which case i will happily bow out.

some people just dont like a different opinion and have to resort to insults.... i guess i will go look for a thread with adults in then
Old 02-08-2004, 13:42   #125

Would any of us have dared calling our teacher a '****ing ****'? And what would have been our punishment?

I and others experience this day in and day out, we work on the frontline so to speak and I dare anyone who doesn't think that there is a problem, or that teachers are to blame, goes and stand in front of a class of disrespectful, unruly, stoned and vulgar kids. Doesn't the amount of people getting out of the teaching profession tell you something? It's not worth the pay or the holidays.

On the other hand I have met a handful of great kids who are a credit to their parents.
Old 02-08-2004, 13:52   #126

Kipax - you can go and find another thread for all I care as you are just being childish.

Where did I insult you? All I did was say you are welcome to your opinion and then give my opinion...my opinion being that I think yours is misguided.

I can happily accept the opinion of others, but it seems that you can't accept the fact that I might believe your opinion to be wrong. I cant really put it in a more civil or adult fashion to be honest.

We are arguing a point, its good that people disagree - but you are the only one who has a problem concerning the fact that we have differing opinions.
Old 02-08-2004, 13:58   #127

The insult was "f----ng c--t" - just so you understand the severity of it.....and often said to female teachers.
Old 02-08-2004, 14:00   #128
God Member

Here, here. Until recently I ran a retail business in Burnley and I can tell you that polite, well behaved children were the remarkable exeption rather than the rule.

If I was ever rude, or spoke out of turn, or interrupted an adult my parents chastised me for it, in a manner that left me in little doubt that my bad behaviour reflected badly upon them as the adults responsible for me.

We all, I think, know the difference between good and bad, irrespective of how our parents bring us up. What you see today is that more and more children appear to think that the difference is unimportant.
Old 02-08-2004, 14:01   #129

I have to say, if they paid teachers twice as much as they do now, and gave them twice as many holidays, I still wouldn't take the job. It seems they are virtually powerless to enforce any discipline in this age of political correctness and bleeding heart liberalism. I really don't know why anyone would want to do the job. Perhaps Ceejache can enlighten us. Perhaps the odd shining star makes up for all the bad apples in the barrel.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 14:32   #130
God Member

I have to say that I have never understood the urge to teach either. It seems to me to be a thankless task. More so these days when TV and the printed media are stuffing childrens heads with the message that fame, at any price and by any means, is the only worthwhile goal in life.
Old 02-08-2004, 15:55   #131
mez
God Member

having worked in schools too although not as a teacher (thank goodness) i have to agree with c/j some kids have no manners at all, which when they get outside reflects on all kids, if you see some & there are plenty of well mannered kids one is taken aback & have to thank their parents for, i would have killed my kids for half of what "naughty kids" do & say these days, & my kids are by no means angels, but they are in there 30s & not bad at all,
Old 02-08-2004, 18:01   #132

Teachers get into the profession because they want to teach - to try to make a positive contribution to the development of the next generation. Teachers cannot teach unless there is order, discipline and mutual respect in the classroom, if the teachers don't get the support from senior management, governors and (most importantly) parents on the issue of discipline etc then trying to teach becomes impossible. It is rewarding when you are able to reach and inform on occasions, yet the unsavoury elements are always the names and faces that you take home with you, disatisfaction outweighs satisfaction unfortunately. Pupils feel it is ok to square up to you, yet lay one finger on them to restrain them and you'll be in court and be labelled as the aggressor. This happens at a time when the board of governors are very, very reticent to expell pupils because they will lose cash - meanwhile the pupil stays in school and disrupts those that do want to learn with their foul, abusive and violent behavior. When one is threatened by both pupils and parents for no other reason than wanting to make a positive contribution into their childs life then you get out of the classroom.

Go back into teaching? Not a chance.............
Old 02-08-2004, 18:35   #133
God Member

Be that as it may, and I don't intend to dismiss Ceejache's experiences by any means, what do we think should now happen to the remains of the bandstand in Oak Hill Park?

Should the remains be bulldozed and the site cleared?

Should the council rebuild it?

Should we give up hope altogether?
Old 02-08-2004, 18:58   #134

No worries AB. I was going seriously off thread......

Its a real crying shame because I have good memories of the bandstand, I liked the fact it was there.

Can we afford to rebuild it? But also..........
Can we also afford to not replace vandalised/destroyed items? Soon there will be nowt left!
Old 02-08-2004, 19:05   #135

But if it is replaced, how long before it's destroyed again?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..