Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2004, 12:19   #1

Thumbs up What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

I know Doug suggested this on another thread and I would also like to raise the vibe concerning our lovely borough. I'll get us started -

Accrington Stanley (obvious one)
The town mill heritage
Old 15-07-2004, 12:34   #2
Senior Member+

Re: What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

The Freindly and Genuine people.............
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 12:43   #3

And that Simon, is the most important part of the equation, the biggest asset of the town. Not only friendly and genuine but innovative and hard working given the chance.
It is this that needs to be built on. Tourism is for other places, not Accrington.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 12:45   #4
Member.

Bloody Fantastic...........good on you
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 12:50   #5

It has to be the people. Unfortunately the bad ones are on the increase.

But Simon hit it in one.............Oh...and Accy Stan...fate was cruel to them, but like a Pheonix they have risen from the ashes!!

People and a Friendly Caring Attitude, and above all *************Humour**************
That's what Accy is all about.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 14:03   #6
Resident Waffler

Free car parks ... .... Well there's not many places you can park for nothing these days.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 15:07   #7
Member.

Love it....Don't you just.

Take this mans effort as an opportunity to state your case for what makes you, “YOU” and what makes you Proud about Accrington and your local Heritage... Willow there's got to be more than a ****** car park.

Which incidently I couldn't B***** well find.

Last edited by Doug; 15-07-2004 at 15:46.
Old 15-07-2004, 16:06   #8
Always EVIL within us

I have already mentioned on several threads how friendly the people are in Accie, but Doug, Just watch Accie die a death when (not if) the council give the car parks to a private firm who will charge in order to pay the council umpteen thousands of £££££ per year for the contract. I've seen it happen and the same will happen here.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 16:45   #9
Member.

What’s good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud?

I understand your sentiment Busman 747. But is having free parking something to be proud of.

This doesn’t mean I don’t have respect for willows opinion, I do. But I was hoping for a response that demonstrated that the people had some sense of pride of there remaining heritage.

Last edited by Doug; 15-07-2004 at 16:51.
Old 15-07-2004, 16:46   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Love it....Don't you just.

Take this mans effort as an opportunity to state your case for what makes you, “YOU” and what makes you Proud about Accrington and your local Heritage... Willow there's got to be more than a ****** car park.

Which incidently I couldn't B***** well find.
I didn't say just one car park Doug. ALL the car parks in Accrington are free and how on earth can you fail to find the main one which is a multi story situated on top of the Arndale? (There are several others dotted around the town.)

One of the things the original builders of the Arndale had to agree to when they wanted to use the old car park for building on was that they would provide an equal number of free parking spaces.

Parking has always been free in Accy and people from other towns have said how they like to be able to come here and park for free ("It's not got car parks ripping you off like what other towns have") so the free car parks in my opinion are saying to the rest of the world that here in Accrington we welcome visitors, don't try to make money out of them and don't rip em off.

If you don't think that's worth being proud of then

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 16:59   #11
Member.

“so the free car parks in my opinion are saying to the rest of the world that here in Accrington we welcome visitors, don't try to make money out of them and don't rip em off”

The above statement and the sentiment makes a justifiable and genuine claim for pride in our car parks….OK Willow, I apologise. The sentiment alone gives you the right to be proud. But is there nothing else your proud of……
Old 15-07-2004, 17:05   #12

I would have added to the friendly nature of the olk but I find on this website people trying to score off each other and pick petty arguments.

Not the kind friendly folk of Accrington as I would like to think of them.

btw I think free car parking is a damn good thing to be proud of. It costs a ruddy fortune in some places.

The question was asked "What's good about Accrington/Hyndburn, what makes you proud" - if you take the first partial phrase then Willow's post is perfectly within the remit of the thread.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 17:32   #13

I'm quite proud of the roads that lead out of Accrington.
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 18:26   #14

Well....this thread has been up for some six hours now and we've had ...what...four suggestions...two of which were there to get things going......!

Some contributors (myself included) have been accused of being too negative concerning Accy/Hyndburn (I concede the point....maybe we are too critical) so here is your chance to say what makes you proud of the area. So c'mon then.....tell us why we should be so proud or are the over-critical amongst us going to have to do it ourselves!

Another two to move things along

Haworth Art Gallery and its collection of Tiffany Glass
The splendid architecture of the Town/Market Hall
Old 15-07-2004, 18:33   #15
Member.

Well Said Sir,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..