Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2008, 00:34   #16
God Member

Re: What use is a Million pounds?

this got me wondering ......anyone know how much do Writers get from Librarys , Rowling must have lost sales by her books being on Library shelves .....do they get any compensation for lost sales , or is there some sort of Law which says anything in print/ publication can be placed in a library for public use
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2008, 07:48   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Perhaps she was writing in her spare time. The rest of the time she was officially unemployed.

I'm fairly sure she'll have come off the social after the first book so writing would have been her job after that.
But I only go to work in my spare time
Old 22-09-2008, 08:45   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
this got me wondering ......anyone know how much do Writers get from Librarys , Rowling must have lost sales by her books being on Library shelves .....do they get any compensation for lost sales , or is there some sort of Law which says anything in print/ publication can be placed in a library for public use
I'm not sure on this SJ, but I think there's something caled public lending rights, where the author gets a very small fee every time a book is borrowed, maybe somebody knows more about tis than me
Old 22-09-2008, 11:03   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: What use is a Million pounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm not sure on this SJ, but I think there's something caled public lending rights, where the author gets a very small fee every time a book is borrowed, maybe somebody knows more about tis than me
Try http://www.plr.uk.com/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Lending_Right
Old 22-09-2008, 11:06   #20
Resting in Peace

Thanks JB thought I'd heard about LR before, that confirms it
Old 22-09-2008, 13:21   #21
Resident Waffler

Classic post Tealeaf! Of course she was still available for work. If she'd been called on she could have put her pen down at any time and picked it up again later on.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 13:47   #22
God Member

It is no surprise that she has changed the details on her website/blog/biography. Once we had the story of how the benefits system left her so poor that she was unable to heat her flat, so she took herself and her baby down to a local cafe where she would keep warm and write her book during the day.. All that has now been dropped. What has also changed is her story of how the idea of Harry Potter came to her while on a train journey from Manchester to London Kings Cross.. Now that latter name has also been dropped, for obvious reasons.

Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 22-09-2008 at 13:49. Reason: Afterthought.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 14:00   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
what a load of rubbish!!
please enlighten us WHY?
Old 22-09-2008, 14:03   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Classic post Tealeaf! Of course she was still available for work. If she'd been called on she could have put her pen down at any time and picked it up again later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
That is the most outrageous claim I've ever heard.

Writing the book didn't make her unavailable for employment, she was a single mum! She would have paid tax on the money she earned from publishing the book so I'm pretty sure she paid much more back in tax than she received in benefits.

Some people are just bitter.

As for the way Labour are choosing to spend the money, I think it could make sense because investment into other things could generate more money to pay off more of the debt...

...but investment doesn't seem like that brilliant of a thing right now so I wouldn't get my hopes up on that

I can't imagine wanting to give that kind of money to a political party. Bob Geldof and Bono are trying to save africa, amongst many other celebrities, and good old J K Rowling wants to save Labour. You couldn't make it up could you really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Absolute and total codswallop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It might not be true but it does pose an interesting question.

If you write a book and then publish it to make money, which period of the writing/publishing/publicising etc do you class as working?

Surely the time spent writing the book must be classed as working if you get paid for it in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Perhaps she was writing in her spare time. The rest of the time she was officially unemployed.

I'm fairly sure she'll have come off the social after the first book so writing would have been her job after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I have been writing a book for about 4 years. I write it when I have time to spare and the "muse" is on me.

If I ever finish it and submit it for publication, and if it is accepted and published, I might make some money from it. The money would be taxed in the year in which it was earned, i.e. the year when I received payment. Any time spent preparing the book for publication and payment could not be classed as "earning" time as there would be no reward during this period. Until such time as it became lucrative, which might be never, it could only be classed as a hobby.
all of the above....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 14:08   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
all of the above....
ah not being a mindreader, n ya quoting tealeafs post i assumed you were saying that was a load of rubbish. all of the above were posted after that.
Old 22-09-2008, 14:09   #26
Senior Member+

tealeafs post was rubbish......all the quoted posts agreed with me.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 22-09-2008, 14:35   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
tealeafs post was rubbish......all the quoted posts agreed with me.
so you think she was available fer work, yet remained unemployed fer several years, THAT i think is rubbish.
Old 22-09-2008, 14:54   #28
Senior Member+

she had a young child.. thats why she stayed at home.

Old 22-09-2008, 14:58   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
she had a young child.. thats why she stayed at home.
so have quite a few on here, but if needs must they work.
Old 22-09-2008, 15:05   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
so have quite a few on here, but if needs must they work.
All this talk of work has made me tired.
Going back to bed
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..