Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2007, 06:32   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: What will you pay this Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER View Post
not just the asian firms that do it though is it ??

if you worked on christmas eve would you work for a normal rate or would you want more pay .....i know id want more...
I always used to work Christmas Eve, and New Year's Eve and we never got extra pay.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-12-2007, 07:15   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Or stagger. I remember that Thwaites used to put out a Christmas brew called Old Tom (I think) after a few of those I was tossed out of the Black Dog for falling into the Christmas tree and I staggered all the way to Clayton. I was almost sober when I arrived
Thwaites did Old Dan which was theBarley wine. They also did Danny Brown and Big Ben (Which was lovely, I wish they still did this!) There as also Hammer which came out at xmas time. Now they tend to do a few different ones. Theyd a Christmas ale one year that was just like Xmas pudding, lovely and at 5% was nicely warming as well.

I rememember walking home from Gt Harwood one NYE with my mate (Marc , Rougue on here). We were proper leathered and got chips peas and gravy from the chippy. I think most of it ended up on our clothes we were that piddled

Youngsters nowadays don't know they're born

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 18:19   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I always used to work Christmas Eve, and New Year's Eve and we never got extra pay.
times have a changed, most jobs nowadays pay time and half for bank hols xmas eve new yrs eve etc etc...the missus does the bar on said nights and gets double pay, why should that differ from an asian taxi driver upping his hire fare ?

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 19:08   #19
God Member

The fare rate for Kingston taxis is fixed by the Taxi Commission and it is the same rate for every day of the year. Most cab owners, however, will give their drivers a free day around Christmas time. The driver gets to keep all he makes with no portion going to the owner. Most cabbies will take home at least $400 for that day, which is a nice little bonus for the holliday.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 19:12   #20
God Member

When did Christmas Eve and New Years Eve become Bank Holidays ?
Old 13-12-2007, 19:16   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The fare rate for Kingston taxis is fixed by the Taxi Commission and it is the same rate for every day of the year. Most cab owners, however, will give their drivers a free day around Christmas time. The driver gets to keep all he makes with no portion going to the owner. Most cabbies will take home at least $400 for that day, which is a nice little bonus for the holliday.
cabbies in San Francisco pay a gate fee of $91.50 for a 10 hour shift
(bit of useless info )
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 19:18   #22
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
When did Christmas Eve and New Years Eve become Bank Holidays ?
they are not
xmas day and new years day is

who says they are?
Old 13-12-2007, 19:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.lee View Post
Something that really irritates me, and is quite a heated topic.. but here goes..

WHY do taxi firms/drivers who do not celebrate Christmas (IE: Muslim taxi firms) bump their taxi fares up by double if not more on and around the Christmas period?! Its absolutely ridiculous, and something that irritates me every year.

When usually paying £8 from Blackburn to Oswaldtwistle with Adams Taxi's on a normal night.. Find yourself paying £20! on a busy Christmas night! (Based on last years fare).

So WHY I ask, do these people rob us blind whilst out celebrating a festive period?! Scandalous. Taxi firms do not bump their prices up on celebrations such as Eid, so why are we taken the p*ss out of during Christmas?

Any firm who changes their prices during Christmas should be taken off the roads. New Years fair enough.. because everyone celebrates that (except taxi drivers obv).

*Rant over*
please remind us all of your job .and would you work for single time xmas day and new year i think not! i expect to pay more on theses two days of the year they are providing a service the other choice is walk!
Old 13-12-2007, 19:27   #24

I know that bash taxis dont charge any extra over christmas. It makes them very busy as they are a select few of taxi companies that dont charge any extra over christmas and new year. Got to be prepared to wait a while!!!! Or get another beer in!!! :-)

Have you seen me dancing, i mean really dancing!!!

Claire Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 19:31   #25
Senior Member+

as well as paying more over christmas you now have to pay before you set off....

having worked in a taxi office i am pretty sure that sometimes if you get a taxi to take you somewhere and wait, the taxi will not be there when you come back!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 16:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
please remind us all of your job .and would you work for single time xmas day and new year i think not! i expect to pay more on theses two days of the year they are providing a service the other choice is walk!
The point I was making is that (most) asian cab drivers arent celebrating this festive time, so why is it any different from a normal every day shift? Fair enough if they put their fares up on Eid, that is understandable.

And my idea of walking from Blackburn center to t'other end of Oswaldtwistle in the freezing cold isnt a perfect end to a good night out.

But ah well.. at least some cabbies dont alter their fares.
thomas.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 00:16   #27

would anybody get accy taxis or bettys cabs this time of year tho they will be charging double stick to locals patels........singhs........guptas.......
brfc1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 00:26   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfc1974 View Post
would anybody get accy taxis or bettys cabs this time of year tho they will be charging double stick to locals patels........singhs........guptas.......
Yeah me!! Oh but then again, I don't pay

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 00:38   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfc1974 View Post
At the end of the day you should use the firm you always use if your happy with the service. If you pay a bit extra for the privelege so be it!!!
Old 15-12-2007, 03:25   #30
Always EVIL within us

Firstly, you have to define the difference between "taxi" and "private hire" !!!

All taxi's fares are regulated by the local council. Three days per year, Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years Day, they are instructed by the council to charge at "rate 3." (which is "double" normal day-time rates.)

Other times, it goes to "rate 2" after midnight or 11pm depending on the area and standard "rate 1" during a normal day! Taxi's are overseen completely by the councils to ensure that the vehicles are legal and are charging the correct price for that time of day or night.

"Private hire" are NOT responsible to the council and can put just about any vehicle on the road providing it is legal. THEY decide how much they charge, and generally undercut "official" taxi's ..........but as a customer, you must bear in mind that the cost of running a "private hire" is so much cheaper as they only have to conform with yearly MoT as opposed to a Taxi that would be taken off the road if it had a dent in a door panel!

If any private hire company over-charges during the Christmas period, they are simply profiting from the excessive charges that official "taxi's" are forced to make during this period.

I have been involved with heated discussions down south between the council and taxi companies where the taxi companies have been very much against raising rates for Christmas.........but the councils have insisted that these prices will be adhered to.

Taxi companies have no choi
ce but to charge as instructed, Private- hire companies just want to rip you off!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..