Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 22:07   #1

What will you pay this Christmas?

Something that really irritates me, and is quite a heated topic.. but here goes..

WHY do taxi firms/drivers who do not celebrate Christmas (IE: Muslim taxi firms) bump their taxi fares up by double if not more on and around the Christmas period?! Its absolutely ridiculous, and something that irritates me every year.

When usually paying £8 from Blackburn to Oswaldtwistle with Adams Taxi's on a normal night.. Find yourself paying £20! on a busy Christmas night! (Based on last years fare).

So WHY I ask, do these people rob us blind whilst out celebrating a festive period?! Scandalous. Taxi firms do not bump their prices up on celebrations such as Eid, so why are we taken the p*ss out of during Christmas?

Any firm who changes their prices during Christmas should be taken off the roads. New Years fair enough.. because everyone celebrates that (except taxi drivers obv).

*Rant over*
thomas.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2007, 22:12   #2
God Member

Re: What will you pay this Christmas?

You want to use a better taxi firm

There are a lot of asain firms that don't charge double or one and a half

I use Central and they have never charged over single at Xmas, or any other time

May not be the best firm, but there prices are always competitive and they get ya from A to B
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 22:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass27 View Post
You want to use a better taxi firm

There are a lot of asain firms that don't charge double or one and a half

I use Central and they have never charged over single at Xmas, or any other time

May not be the best firm, but there prices are always competitive and they get ya from A to B
Cool thanks, I shall bare that in mind! =)
thomas.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 22:34   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.lee View Post
Something that really irritates me, and is quite a heated topic.. but here goes..

WHY do taxi firms/drivers who do not celebrate Christmas (IE: Muslim taxi firms) bump their taxi fares up by double if not more on and around the Christmas period?! Its absolutely ridiculous, and something that irritates me every year.

When usually paying £8 from Blackburn to Oswaldtwistle with Adams Taxi's on a normal night.. Find yourself paying £20! on a busy Christmas night! (Based on last years fare).

So WHY I ask, do these people rob us blind whilst out celebrating a festive period?! Scandalous. Taxi firms do not bump their prices up on celebrations such as Eid, so why are we taken the p*ss out of during Christmas?

Any firm who changes their prices during Christmas should be taken off the roads. New Years fair enough.. because everyone celebrates that (except taxi drivers obv).

*Rant over*
Bloomin' young uns!

How dare you go out and have fun on Christmas eve?

I shall be at home peeling my sprouts and leaving mince pies out for Santa. LOL
Old 12-12-2007, 22:41   #5
Senior Member+

I've never paid extra over Christmas, your using the wrong firms! lol. CB have a big sign in their window saying "No extra charge over the festive period"
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 22:51   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

suppose its too old fashioned to walk?
Old 12-12-2007, 23:00   #7

Supply and demand, the option is yours Thomas…there’s always walking as cashy said
Old 12-12-2007, 23:08   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well the late 60's early 70's I can remember walking home most Christmas's because at that time a taxi would'nt take you that far, they would take you to the border between b'burn & accy,(if you where lucky), then you would have to walk the rest of the way.

I remember walking home one Christmas with a (mixed) group of friends and on the way one lad stopped off at the 'phone box, we waited for him, then discovered all he stopped there for was to vandalise it, we left him groaning by the gutter because we didn't want any bother with the law, it was just the way things were!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 23:13   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we always walked home that time of year, usually from blackburn, cos you could wait hours for a taxi, if ya could get one. whats the big deal?
Old 12-12-2007, 23:32   #10
Senior Member+

not just the asian firms that do it though is it ??

if you worked on christmas eve would you work for a normal rate or would you want more pay .....i know id want more...

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 23:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER View Post
not just the asian firms that do it though is it ??

if you worked on christmas eve would you work for a normal rate or would you want more pay .....i know id want more...
You're right, i would want extra too
Old 12-12-2007, 23:58   #12
God Member

Quote:

Or stagger. I remember that Thwaites used to put out a Christmas brew called Old Tom (I think) after a few of those I was tossed out of the Black Dog for falling into the Christmas tree and I staggered all the way to Clayton. I was almost sober when I arrived
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 00:40   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER View Post
If I am on shift at bank holidays I don't get paid any extra. This year I am off Christmas day and New Years day but am working from boxing day till the 30th. Its just the way the cookie crumbles here.

Then again I knew that when I took the job so I expect it.
Old 13-12-2007, 00:40   #14
God Member

Quote:
Well said , cant remember number of times I walked home to Arrod from Accy or after missing the last bus , best thing there is for sobering you up , no bed spinning round , and no vomit for your Mum to make you clean up ,
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 01:53   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Well said , cant remember number of times I walked home to Arrod from Accy or after missing the last bus , best thing there is for sobering you up , no bed spinning round , and no vomit for your Mum to make you clean up ,
Well I'm glad I wasn't alone
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..