Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2011, 19:07   #1

Angry whats' happened to our town

Tuesday morning 10am. park up behind B&M bargains, plenty of spaces, walked onto King St and onto Union St, entered Santander Bank, short walk approx 200 Mts. Observations, I counted 3 other people on Union St, 1 person in the bank.
Exit bank and a quick dash to Swinton insurance via Broadway.
Observations, shops empty of customers, Broadway looking like Accy Stanley 20 minutes after final whistle.
Final stop, post office, observation, packed out with lots of people putting cards into a machine and collecting benefits, busiest premises in town.
I commented to the cashier that I was 12 in the queue and I was the fist person to hand over some money !!
Conclusion, Accrington as a shopping town is a joke, the town is dying and I fear things will only get worse this year. Come on Council you need to start talking to business men and woman and open discussions on what the private sector can do to help bring a little life into town before it really is too late
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2011, 19:09   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: whats' happened to our town

Some nice community art will bring the crowds flooding back.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 19:15   #3
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
Tuesday morning 10am. park up behind B&M bargains, plenty of spaces, walked onto King St and onto Union St, entered Santander Bank, short walk approx 200 Mts. Observations, I counted 3 other people on Union St, 1 person in the bank.
Exit bank and a quick dash to Swinton insurance via Broadway.
Observations, shops empty of customers, Broadway looking like Accy Stanley 20 minutes after final whistle.
Final stop, post office, observation, packed out with lots of people putting cards into a machine and collecting benefits, busiest premises in town.
I commented to the cashier that I was 12 in the queue and I was the fist person to hand over some money !!
Conclusion, Accrington as a shopping town is a joke, the town is dying and I fear things will only get worse this year. Come on Council you need to start talking to business men and woman and open discussions on what the private sector can do to help bring a little life into town before it really is too late
Well said.

Whilst no one can wave a magic wand and get people to spend their money we could do with someone up at Scaitcliffe House to take a serious look at the Town Centre instead of simply blaming the previous government.

Unfortunately, as we're seeing in the Market Hall, the Cabinet knows best and any advice will be filed in the bin.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 19:22   #4
JCB

Quote:
How many were pensioners collecting hard earned money ?

How many were carers collecting a pittance for dedicating their lives to caring for a sick relative ?

How many had a sickness that may not have been evident to you , but would have loved to be at work instead of collecting their rightful benefits ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 19:30   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

How many were carers collecting a pittance for dedicating their lives to caring for a sick relative ?

How many had a sickness that may not have been evident to you , but would have loved to be at work instead of collecting their rightful benefits ?
You missed one sector off your list how many were lazy, idle, skiving gits who think the world owes them a living? Because god knows there are plenty in Accrington
Old 19-01-2011, 19:33   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
You missed one sector off your list how many were lazy, idle, skiving gits who think the world owes them a living? Because god knows there are plenty in Accrington

There are plenty in every town, in just so happens that the people that see no wrong in them and support them are housed in the town centre. The first improvement in the town centre would be to relocate certain premises
Old 19-01-2011, 19:37   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
There are plenty in every town, in just so happens that the people that see no wrong in them and support them are housed in the town centre. The first improvement in the town centre would be to relocate certain premises
I agree and there are plenty of the certain premises to go at, i bet plus 2 the hairdressers would be glad to see the back of them judging at some of the dregs i saw hanging about around there the other day
Old 19-01-2011, 19:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post

who knows, but when I see people picking up over £400 it really hacks me off. I run my own company, small company I must admit but I often work 60 hours a week and all for about £20 grand a year, you may think that is a lot of money but when you take into account I also keep several other families in bread and milk through employing people what help do I get, free nothing
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 19:41   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

Sister flew down from Heaven above.

Sent by God, to nurture the poor smack heads.

Thus allowing them to carry on doing what they do best.

Skinning up, shooting up, and supping up, before returning to Sister for the next lot of funding.

Praise be!

Old 19-01-2011, 19:46   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
who knows, but when I see people picking up over £400 it really hacks me off. I run my own company, small company I must admit but I often work 60 hours a week and all for about £20 grand a year, you may think that is a lot of money but when you take into account I also keep several other families in bread and milk through employing people what help do I get, free nothing
Oh you're one of those?

Judging people, and getting yourself worked up, in green-eyed tizz.

That four hundred quid might be the sum total, after selling all their worldly possessions.

Who knows?

Oh, yeah.

You know.

Old 19-01-2011, 19:47   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sister flew down from Heaven above.

Sent by God, to nurture the poor smack heads.

Thus allowing them to carry on doing what they do best.

Skin-up, shoot-up, and supup, before returning to Sister for the next lot of funding.

Praise be!
I agree, it makes me laugh that they do all these things outside the place that is "helping" them are they blind or what? It just goes to show you cant help some people because they like being drug addled drunks clogging up the benefits and nhs systems, its a way of life for them but i dont see why decent tax payers should be funding their lifestyle choice
Old 19-01-2011, 19:53   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Moan, moan, moan.

Poor you.

One life.

That's all we have.

A wise man, rather than surlily contemplating his lot in life, would change his direction, if it was really that bad, and stop wasting precious time, telling others how hard done by he is.

Old 19-01-2011, 19:58   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
I agree, it makes me laugh that they do all these things outside the place that is "helping" them are they blind or what? It just goes to show you cant help some people because they like being drug addled drunks clogging up the benefits and nhs systems, its a way of life for them but i dont see why decent tax payers should be funding their lifestyle choice
Sister doesn't do tough love.

Even for those who'd rob out of their dead mother's purse for a wrap of brown.

Praise be!

(That's what they say, after every single hand out, which allows them to carry on funding their habit.)

Old 19-01-2011, 20:00   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sister doesn't do tough love.

Even for those who'd rob out of their dead mother's purse for a wrap of brown.

Praise be!

(That's what they say, after every single hand out, which allows them to carry on funding their habit.)
I will have to give it a try, so how does it go again "Praise be" is that right
Old 19-01-2011, 20:16   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:

You know it is really bad of you to make assumptions.

I was in the Post Office today.......I picked up the pension for my elderly disabled mother.......£400.......it sounds a lot of money doesn't it?
This was three weeks pension for her.....she can't get out on her own much anymore.
So what looked like a lot of money is already spoken for with bills and shopping.
My mother is 83, has cancer and worked every single day of her life (up to the age of 65) to bring up 7 children.
The money she gets, she has earned.
No-one is giving her anything.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 19-01-2011 at 20:18.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..