Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-12-2004, 10:37   #16
mez
God Member

Re: Whats happening to your UK Christmas?

well said a/b
Accrington Web
Old 13-12-2004, 10:43   #17
God Member

Thanks for the warning Darby, but I don't do Politically Correct. No, strike that. I won't do Politically Correct! As far as I am concerned, to use yet another Americanism, If it looks like a Duck, swims like a Duck and it sounds like Duck then it probably is a Duck and I shall say so. Anything else would be moral cowardice, and I have never supported that position.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 13-12-2004 at 10:45.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 11:19   #18

Well A.B. I agree with much of what you say,though none of the Asian(that word again) people I encounter have ever voiced an objection to our Christmas festivities.
In fact they seem to get the same amount of fun out of it as I do(minus the alcohol of course).
Instead it is our betters; the leaders of our country and community who strive to change us into some PC correct Utopian society.
Live and let live should be the Christmas message.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 11:48   #19
God Member

I quite agree that a lot of this PC rubbish comes from Government Quango's, and Local Government. Our Asian brothers must be wetting themselves with laughter at us. "We told the Imperialists to jump, and they asked 'How High and where would you like us to land".
Old 13-12-2004, 11:53   #20
God Member

However, the situation will only get worse, not better, and the touchy-feely busy-bodies will gain ever more influence if they are not challenged. You have to demand that they explain and justify what they do. Nine times out of ten the justification for their actions does not stand up to scrutiny.
Old 13-12-2004, 12:59   #21

Here!Here!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 22:04   #22
Resident Waffler

I am totally in agreement with you on this one A-b. Political Correctness half the time is just total madness. I have yet to come across a muslim who is offended by me being a Christian. I have come across muslims who feel that we have ground in common with some of our beliefs. My daughter once said she was thinking of converting to Islam but when I asked her why it turned out to be because they got more school holidays (Christmas and Eid)

But since we are on the subject - is this emoticon PC - are we allowed to use it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 22:04   #23
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I really would like to string up any Politically Correct idiot who stops me trying to enjoy Christmas.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 22:09   #24
Resident Waffler

I don't intend to stop celebrating Christmas for anyone.

Old 14-12-2004, 07:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
However, the situation will only get worse, not better, and the touchy-feely busy-bodies will gain ever more influence if they are not challenged. You have to demand that they explain and justify what they do. Nine times out of ten the justification for their actions does not stand up to scrutiny.
I couldn't agree more A-Bob

Although you can never get the better of such people...they control most of the outlets and media. The kings new suit etc.!!!!

I've just been de-franchised, and I (and the missus) are no longer allowed to vote for any national government in the world, let alone the UK It appears that the UK government is afraid of ex-pats voting to the right, so after 15 years of living abroad, your voting rights in the UK for any general election are abolished, without recourse! They have simply changed the law!!!

PC?? I'm officially now a non-person!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 07:15   #26
mez
God Member

aaawww poor darby, we will let you vote, wot a stupid system im flabbergasted.
Old 14-12-2004, 07:40   #27
Resident Waffler

I have jsut read in this morning's paper that there are 37 million Christians in this country and 1.5 million muslims. So why are they not bending over backwards to try not to upset or offend us? Why are the 37 million (plus all the atheists, agnostics and other religions) the ones who have to ensure they don't offend the 1.5 million? It doesn't make sense.

I personally wouldn't set out to offend anyone but if my normal way of life which has been acceptable in this country for hundreds of years offends some people then I suggest they should choose to live elsewhere and let me get on with not offending the rest of society.

But as you say, it isn't the people themselves who are offended, it's some halfwitted beaurocrat who thinks they might be. Thats where the problems are.

Old 14-12-2004, 08:34   #28
Senior Member+

It goes back to what has been mentioned earlier in this thread - when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

So it should be here

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 12:48   #29
Senior Member+

Well some people are fighting back.....

DEFIANT head teachers joined The Sun’s Save Our Christmas campaign last night — warning politically correct meanies: “Hands off Nativity plays.”

More than 195 primary school heads across the UK voted to keep traditional festive fun in a poll.

And 95 per cent of schools quizzed said they were determined to celebrate the birth of Christ with a Nativity play this year.

It came after we told how Nativity plays, religious cards, lights and even Santa have been axed in case they offend non-Christians.

One head teacher told market researchers Winmark: “There are instances of political correctness gone mad. Schools should teach the true meaning of religious festivals.” Another added: “It’s important to emphasis the Christ in Christmas.” Pollsters also quizzed primary school children on their understanding of Christmas — and 74 per cent knew it was about the birth of Jesus.

Researcher Peter Attwell said: “Children have a better understanding of Christmas than jobsworths who have tried to ban it.”

In another move to promote the Christmas spirit among youngsters, an animated film of the birth of Christ is to be distributed to Britain’s primary schools.

Charity boss Steve Legg, 35, from Littlehampton, West Sussex, raised more than £120,000 to create the Nativity story “It’s A Boy”.

He said: “I’m 100 per cent behind The Sun’s campaign. I was inspired to make the film by hearing of a child who asked why Jesus was named after a swear word.”

Support from Christmas-loving readers continued to flood in. Yaqub Masih, of the UK Asian Christians Fellowship, said: “I congratulate The Sun. Secular dictators are destroying our traditions.”

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 13:13   #30
God Member

>>He said: “I’m 100 per cent behind The Sun’s campaign. I was inspired to make the film by hearing of a child who asked why Jesus was named after a swear word.” <<

Exactly. Traditions, whether religious or secular, are important to the cultural life of the nation. If we continue to teach our children to despise and denigrate our traditions the distinctive culture of these islands will be swept away.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..