Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2008, 15:38   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool re: whats this all about. Full fat milk being taken from schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny27 View Post
Yeah, my kids have full fat. What ticks me off is that now the goverment are trying to get kids drinking that horrible *cringe* green top lol

Yeah, lets discourage our kids from drinking milk shall we? WAY TO go!
Have you got your wires crossed? I thought that the government was trying to get everyone onto red or blue top milk not green top.

Wasn’t it a case of Gold Top as extra full cream milk?
Green Top was full cream milk
Silver was standard milk
Blue or Red semi skimmed milk
And Red or Blue fully skimmed milk.

Not buying Red or Blue Top, which to all intents and purposes is white coloured water, I can’t remember which is which. No doubt someone will gleefully put me right with a few choice insults and a bit of name calling.

My milk lady can’t deliver Gold or Green Top anymore but I understand you can still buy them at the farm.

Last edited by Len; 15-07-2008 at 17:58. Reason: Fixed the quote: Removed the distasteful language.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2008, 15:50   #17
Senior Member+

re: whats this all about. Full fat milk being taken from schools?

blue top is full fat....the colours are different if you get it from a milk..person.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 16:01   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool re: whats this all about. Full fat milk being taken from schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
blue top is full fat....the colours are different if you get it from a milk..person.
Much obliged for the clarification.

I guess that danny27 didn’t have his wires crossed after all.
Old 15-07-2008, 16:40   #19
Resident Waffler

re: whats this all about. Full fat milk being taken from schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

I recall being told we shouldn't give children anything other than full fat so they get teh full goodness of teh milk.

That's what I was always told too. It was tantamount to malnutrition to give them skimmed as some of the nutrients are only in the cream.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 18:42   #20
God Member

Re: whats this all about. Full fat milk being taken from schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
That's what I was always told too. It was tantamount to malnutrition to give them skimmed as some of the nutrients are only in the cream.
Ah, ok, that's why the sparrows were so fat.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 19:58   #21
God Member

I'm surprised at the comments so far on this thread.

Am I the only one who thinks that stopping whole milk in schools is a good idea?

This was reported in the Telegraph last week. We are actually one of the remaining few councils that are still giving whole milk to children.

There is exactly the same amount of calcium in skimmed milk as there is in whole milk.....just less fat. How can this be bad?

In response to those who say that children need the full fat milk.....this is nonsense. Healthcare advice recommends whole milk until age 5 and then semi skimmed is appropriate.

The obesity levels in schools are shocking.

Agreed, children need to exercise more but not giving children more fat than necessary is no bad thing in my opinion.
Old 15-07-2008, 20:07   #22
Senior Member+

Sorry Lilly,yeah i agree, just think its ridiculous that the government have to do these things because parents feed their children so much rubbish that the excercise they get at school at play time etc doesnt shift it.

Quote:
it will help the kids who's parents feed them rubbish.....
Quote:
excercise and diet......... kinda pointless excercising if all you eat is burger and chips..... your never gunna be healthy.
Quote:
diet, excercise and education are the key factors to tackle childhood obesity.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 16-07-2008, 07:22   #23
God Member

Lilly, there are essential fatty acids and other nutrients in milk than calcium. as I said the difference in fat between whole and semi is 2% so in a full pint of milk you are talking ~10ml difference, there are far greater benefits in stopping them eating too many chips, sweets, junk.

I would also point out that a lot of the "Fat is bad for you" brigade have not seperated the whole natural fats that nature provides from the man made genetically modified trans fats etc that are the real reason of obseity and heart disease.

I for one will happily recommend and encourage Siobhan to drink full fat milk as long as she wants to.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 07:35   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Lilly, there are essential fatty acids and other nutrients in milk than calcium. as I said the difference in fat between whole and semi is 2% so in a full pint of milk you are talking ~10ml difference, there are far greater benefits in stopping them eating too many chips, sweets, junk.

I would also point out that a lot of the "Fat is bad for you" brigade have not seperated the whole natural fats that nature provides from the man made genetically modified trans fats etc that are the real reason of obseity and heart disease.

I for one will happily recommend and encourage Siobhan to drink full fat milk as long as she wants to.
is Siobhan overweight?
Do you feed hernothing but instant food?

Old 16-07-2008, 07:36   #25
Resident Waffler

Whole milk can actually combat obesity because it provides fat soluble nutrients in such a good proportion relative to the fat content. This actually prevents the body craving these essential nutrients from other sources - other sources which have a much higher fat content and certainly are unhealthy. Cut out the burgers and the fries (which are on offer in school canteens) and provide healthy alternatives including milk.

I wish I'd known when I was younger all the things that I know now so I wouldn't have made the mistake of cutting out all the healthy stuff like milk and drinking all the rubbish like diet coke which actually does far more harm than good. I probably wouldn't have ended up with as many health problems as I now have.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 16-07-2008 at 07:38.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 08:19   #26
God Member

Quote:
is Siobhan overweight?
Do you feed hernothing but instant food?
Nope , shes perfect and is fed proper food and has been from teh minute she could take it. her first taste of anything other than milk was of staek and kidney pudding with mash tata and gravy off my plate in a restaurant.

She eats plenty of fish, veg, pork, beef, chicken etc. We also make sure she understands what animal she is eating. It isn't bacon butty, its piggy butty, moo cow pie, fishy, chicken, rabbit etc

She also gets plenty of exercise and is encouraged by me to be adventureous to the point that you can see Julie cringing!

Old 16-07-2008, 08:23   #27
Senior Member+

so the full fat milk is fine for her......
schools are trying to help children and they are doing it in the only ways they can........they cant control what the children have at home but they can control what they have at school............. at least they are trying to do something and not sitting back and saying its not their problem becuse technically it isn't. Schools are there to educate children.

Old 16-07-2008, 08:37   #28
God Member

So my child and probably the majority have to put up with sub standard milk for a minority?

They aren't helping the child by restricting milk to semi skimmed, its a tiny drop in the ocean of what the child eats, far better to educate those children who are "overweight" or even better their parents as to what a healthy diet is. once again common sense has shown to be missing in action so they come up with some hair brained not thought out solution.

Old 16-07-2008, 08:46   #29

At what point are the schools/LEA going to do let us do our jobs as parents, and do their jobs of teaching our kids?

Yes I appreciate theres a problem with childhood obesity, yes I know kids that are horrendously overweight (as are their parents). When they are fed burgers, chips, fry ups etc at home, swapping milk aint gonna make that much difference.

The LEAs are there to provide a good level of education for our children, not to be a parent. Or are they gonna start demanding they are present from conception onwards to make sure we do that right as well?
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 08:53   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
At what point are the schools/LEA going to do let us do our jobs as parents, and do their jobs of teaching our kids?

Yes I appreciate theres a problem with childhood obesity, yes I know kids that are horrendously overweight (as are their parents). When they are fed burgers, chips, fry ups etc at home, swapping milk aint gonna make that much difference.

The LEAs are there to provide a good level of education for our children, not to be a parent. Or are they gonna start demanding they are present from conception onwards to make sure we do that right as well?
Because some parents either have absolutely no idea what they are doing or couldnt care less.........

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..