Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2020, 16:37   #46
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: when all this is over....

It will cost you an extra 5p if it's a plastic bag.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2020, 16:55   #47
Beacon of light

No Less....I will be eco friendly and use a brown paper bag.....with eyeholes cut in so that I did not inadvertently bump into anyone.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 02:25   #48

I go along with both Margaret and Less on the subject of the older generation. There are those who enjoy life to the fullest whatever age – and are interesting and good fun, as was Margaret’s dear mum and the people they met on their travels - like attracts like. However, I do agree there ARE those who are nothing but grumps and best avoided. These are the ones who complain about everyone and everything. Can't see the fun side of anything. Definitely not good company. Same old, same old, and very boring.

These are the ones who you NEVER say ‘and how are you today?’ because they’ll tell you – like you really wanted to know. They’ll also tell you how they were last week, how they are today, and how they will be next week. Heaven forbid you mention medications….and as for aches and pains…..

But don’t judge everyone by their cover, Less – for instance my outer shell might make me look like an old chook (my enemy, the mirror, tells me this is definitely so) but in my mind and heart I’m still a (very broad-minded) spring chicken. I’d love an invitation to join in with your company of mixed ages for an evening enjoying the odd drink or three with good conversation and lots of laughs thrown in - would even shout you a few beers, but unfortunately 12,000 miles is too far to come even for a good night out.

Remember though, one day you will be old – just don’t be an old grump, boring…..
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 10:16   #49

Dottie I'm already old in body in mind however I am still trying (and failing fortunately) to 'act my age'.
I try to be inclusive of everyone but fail with people that claim their way to perfection is the only way forward.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 17-04-2020, 10:42   #50
Beacon of light

I told my other half yesterday(he was criticising me for leaving some crumbs on the counter top) to check his palms for nail holes...if there weren't any, it was proof he wasn't pefect...and if he found some I would ring the news papers...especially as much of what is going on smacks of apocalyptic biblical predictions...that he might be the 'second coming'.
I also told him the I consider mysyelf to be 'Flawsome'.
He asked what that meant...so I told hime it is the term for Brilliant, but human!
Less and dotti34 like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 17-04-2020 at 10:52.
Old 17-04-2020, 10:46   #51
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Dottie I'm already old in body in mind however I am still trying (and failing fortunately) to 'act my age'.
I try to be inclusive of everyone but fail with people that claim their way to perfection is the only way forward.

Less I have been unfortunate enough to know thirty year olds who lived like eighty five year olds(staid and humourless)...but I have also been privieleged to know an eighty year old who did the shopping for 'old folk'...these old folk were two decades younger than this particular lady.

age is just a number...don't let that number influence the way you look at life.
Old 17-04-2020, 12:06   #52

Less, I try to act my age disgracefully - it's much more fun. Bit of a shock though when I'm referred to as 'that old lady' as I've never been a 'lady'......

.....just keep up the good work and enjoy life.

Last edited by dotti34; 17-04-2020 at 12:11.
Old 18-04-2020, 11:56   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Less, I try to act my age disgracefully - it's much more fun. Bit of a shock though when I'm referred to as 'that old lady' as I've never been a 'lady'......

.....just keep up the good work and enjoy life.
when some footballers call me the old geordie ba----d its the geordie part that bothers me.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 10:59   #54

I'm beginning to weaken all this time in isolation and I've been staring at four walls for too long.
I can't help noticing all those little jobs that I have been putting off from when I used to be out and about with no time to do them, you know, those that will only take five minutes .
Given another two months of this boredom and I might just get around to doing them.
Though I have to thank my blessings, I dare say if I was living with a wife I'd have been forced to do them at the beginning of the lock down, either because she would have set me to the tasks or because rather than sit there trying to make conversation I'd have got off my arse just for the excuse of going into a different room.
Old 22-04-2020, 12:12   #55
Beacon of light

Less, you are only human.
Cut yourself some slack.....this lockdown is not ending any time soon...and as you have no one who needs pleasing....then do the right thing....please yourself.
I'm not bored....I am just P'd off at being holed up when the sun is shining.

Stay well, stay safe.....and the hardest thing....stay sane!
Old 22-04-2020, 12:24   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, you are only human.

Stay well, stay safe.....and the hardest thing....stay sane!
Thanks for the compliment, though I'll find it hard to stay sane, what little sanity I did have disappeared long before the lock down, would you mind awfully if I just...

...STAY WEIRD!
Old 22-04-2020, 12:52   #57
Beacon of light

Not at all Less and you are welcome......because you are on your own you have no-one to upset...no-one to call you out and only yourself to please...and if you please yourself then you know that there is a least one person happy.

perhaps I should say...Stay well, stay safe and be your own kind of normal (meaning don't let this isolation drive you nutty)
Old 23-04-2020, 07:50   #58

Margaret, remember when we both said when this is over we will have our hair cut. Well forget me visiting the hairdresser - I will need a sheep shearer to do the job the way I'm going....
Old 23-04-2020, 09:47   #59
Beacon of light

Me too Dorothy....and there will be enough to stuff a sofa( ok, maybe I am gilding the lily.....not a sofa but an easy chair).
Himself offered his services.....but I have only once let him loose on my Barnet with scissors.
It looked like I had lost the fight with a garden trimmer......I think it was the first(and last) geometric cut I ever had.....one side was up, the other down......and the edges were not even straight....it looked like it had been done by Braille.

So I won't be letting him touch the scissors.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 23-04-2020, 09:49   #60
Beacon of light

Less...on reflection, I think the ones in the population with the weird gene are going to be the ones who survive all this.
We can look forward to some really strange MP's and weird laws(no, even weirder than we have now).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..