Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 08:42   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Where do we REALLY go from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
There's nowt you can do about it all Stumped.. and I can see how a "happy go lucky" optimist such as you would get run down
Mancie is quite right, Stumped, so I would suggest that you join him, me and the rest of the sunny optimists up the pub.
Old 02-04-2010, 17:27   #17
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When trying to make a rational judgement about the state of Britain today, I find it more useful to make comparissons in decades, rather than what happened yesterday.

Do I think Britain is a more just place, with greater equality, and greater opportunities for people to reach their full potential, through education for example, and that materially we have more actual 'things', to make life easier, or interesting and pleasurable, and do we have more access to a whole world of things that were once closed off to the majority of people?

Yes, in general terms, compared to ten, twenty, thirty years ago, I do think society is a better place today, than it was then.

I do think emotionally we might not be in so good a place. Perhaps dissatisfaction, and always wanting more and more, leads us to long for some simpler, halcyon, by-gone age. But which in reality, meant we were a hell of a lot worse off then, than we are today.

I think if our great grandparents happened to come back to visit us, they'd agree with Harold Macmillan, and tell us to stop bloomin' well moaning, because compared to the past, we really have never had it so good.
You make a lot of sense. Yes, perhaps the older among us do tend to look back through rose tinted glasses, but never before in my lifetime have I known a time when the feckless appear to be better catered for than the workers. Don't get me wrong, there are indeed many deserving cases for a system of fairly distributed benefits, but I do feel that there must be a more acceptable path to follow than the 'Robin Hood' tactics currently employed. As for approaching local political aspirants, I've gone down that path on several occasions in the past and finished up more confused after the meetings than before - hence my continuing quandary!

Reckon I should listen to my good lady who says; "I don't know why you bother, they're all a waste of time and space!"

Last edited by Stumped; 02-04-2010 at 17:34.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 17:30   #18
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
There's nowt you can do about it all Stumped.. and I can see how a "happy go lucky" optimist such as you would get run down
It's being so cheerful that keeps me going, Mancie. Plus the occasional wranglings with your good self. Cheers.
Old 02-04-2010, 17:38   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Stumped fer my money yer good ladys got it bang on.
Old 02-04-2010, 17:45   #20
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Stumped fer my money yer good ladys got it bang on.
As with most wives, she's never wrong!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
As with most wives, she's never wrong!
Both mine were Stumped
Old 04-04-2010, 17:12   #22
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Both mine were Stumped
Guess you weren't listening properly, Jaysay!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..