Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 07:52   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Where do you draw the line?

For those of is who are not into such things ....TLDR stands for 'too long didn't read'

I can really understand that acronym when it follows one of the long rambling unreadable posts of one of the members on here. But in my estimation Guinness , for what it is worth, your posts are not at all like that. They have something to say which is worth reading, and usually said with balance and common sense.
I may not always agree with what you have today, but you always make a point clearly and eloquently.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
For those of is who are not into such things ....TLDR stands for 'too long didn't read'

I can really understand that acronym when it follows one of the long rambling unreadable posts of one of the members on here. But in my estimation Guinness , for what it is worth, your posts are not at all like that. They have something to say which is worth reading, and usually said with balance and common sense.
I may not always agree with what you have today, but you always make a point clearly and eloquently.
Hang on a minute Margaret, you'll have Guinness taking C'mon under his wing, then who would we have to laugh at.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37   #18
Beacon of light

Quote:
That should read....'I may not agree with what you have to say'
Predictive text has a lot to answer for.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:40   #19
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hang on a minute Margaret, you'll have Guinness taking C'mon under his wing, then who would we have to laugh at.
John, I have great respect for the abilities of Guinness...but I think that it is beyond him...anyway, I never said who it was that wrote long rambling unreadable posts....I could have meant ..........ME!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20   #20
JFT96

Well its one less of them, shame the lads filmed it.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:13   #21
God Member

we should not be there . he should not be charged he needs help. the art of combat affects peoples minds in ways other lifestyles cant. we should sort out our own country first . would not surprise me if the taliban owned half our water supply.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:33   #22
Beacon of light

well C'mon....you seem to have got to grips with full stops. Now, would you like to move on to capital letters?

Back on thread.....the point you make is not the issue here.
Some political party took us into an unwinnable conflict.......a conflict that other forces(like the Russians) gave up as a bad job.
The Army are sent where they are sent...they do not choose. They have a job to do and they do it well.
It is inevitable that things like this will happen, but I do agree that the chap needs help and that he should not be charged. After 15 years of service in theatres of war he is a damaged man...and has to live with that.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
...Do you drop them to half health and move on, or do you make sure they are dead?
Killing the insurgent was not his undoing. If he had said:
"This one isn't going to make it, let's put him out of his misery." then the outcome would have been the same in terms of the insurgent being dead, but very different in terms Marine A's liberty. It wouldn't have even got as far as court. He could have considered collecting up their morphine and making it quick and painless, but they may have needed that later if they had been injured themselves. The bullet was the sensible option.

The insurgent had been fired on by an Apache at long range using depleted uranium bullets more than an inch thick that explode on contact. They are rated to have a "kill radius" of ten metres, so even if they don't hit the target directly, there is the shrapnel/dislodged landscape that become deadly (supposedly). Now these pilots decided that instead of flying a mile to do their own BDA, they'd rather let a squad of marines do it. If the pilots were concerned for their safety in their heavily armoured gunship which should shrug off AK47 rounds, and toting up to 38 rockets, 8 missiles and potentially more than a thousand more of these tank-killing bullets, surely nobody would expect a CASEVAC of a wounded insurgent putting more lives at risk?

He was probably quite badly injured, but even if he was mildly injured but just wasn't mobile, they did the right thing, they just said the wrong things while they were doing it.
Boeing Guy and Eric like this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 23:10   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
This marine is as much a casualty of the conflict as those soldiers who have been killed.
War and conflict can never be 'civilised'.
If the Taliban had captured a British soldier they see him as the enemy, and will shoot him...they do not recognise the Geneva convention. Yet they expect the Geneva convention to be applied when it comes to those insurgents who are captured.
This conflict is not like the previous wars....where the enemy could easliy be recognised by their uniform...you knew which side they belonged to.
In Afghanistan the soldiers are just as likely to be shot by someone wearing an afghan police uniform...it is, in effect, a guerilla war.

So, I don't blame this soldier. I feel sorry for him...and his family.
He was killing the enemy before they killed him(or his comrades)....he just did it the wrong way(according to Geneva conventions).
It was murder and I am surprised you justified it to yourself like that. He was no threat to the soldiers, he had been disarmed and was a prisoner.
Next you will be saying is was right what the Japs did to our soldiers in WW2 or what the Russians and Germans did to each other soldiers.
Old 10-11-2013, 23:13   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
He was probably quite badly injured, but even if he was mildly injured but just wasn't mobile, they did the right thing, they just said the wrong things while they were doing it.
So you agree with killing injured people as though they are sick dogs?
Shall we issue the Police with side arms incase they come across badly injured people in road traffic accidents so they can put them down?
Old 10-11-2013, 23:25   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Shall we issue the Police with side arms incase they come across badly injured people in road traffic accidents so they can put them down?
Them Afghans have a completely different mind set, they view our attitude as a weakness, if they had rendered first aid, brought him back with them and he recovered, he would most likely have gone on to kill another British soldier.
As John Wayne said the only good injun is a dead injun, as he fired his Winchester .44. The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist no matter how or who kills him.
The one that should be punished is the clown who filmed it.
When my old mate and his platoon arrived in Belsen, one of the platoon was so enraged he shot the first german he saw, the platoon officer just said we'll have no more of that, and that was the end of the matter.
Boeing Guy and Barrie Yates like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58   #27

Quote:
Nope - I agree with killing people who are beyond help. With a dog, there's usually a financial consideration. It's rare that anyone would have to risk their life in order to save him.

Please try to keep the thread in context.

Quote:
Again, to keep it in context, the police will not come to the aid of someone in danger of death if it presents a risk to their own welfare.
Police refuse to save drowning man due to lack of training - Crime - News - London Evening Standard
jaysay and Barrie Yates like this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:10   #28
JFT96

But, the police are not operating in a war zone.

Our troops are out there fighting a war, during war things happen.
I'm with Retlaw on this.
KiTChener likes this.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:10   #29
Resting in Peace

Remember these gentlemen have 72 virgins and rivers of honey waiting for them in the afterlife as reward for their deeds
Old 11-11-2013, 09:07   #30
Senior Member+

I think that is a urban myth more than anything jaysay

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..