Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 16:15   #16
God Member

Re: Where does this leave the Coalition?

Even Tesco are preparing for the collapse of the Euro - Tesco, you know, the supermarket!

I think anyone espousing the belief that the EU and the Euro are still viable going concerns has to be confined to a loony bin, for their own protection.
Old 11-12-2011, 16:30   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
To be honest, Gynn, I don't think anyone but the Media give a rats nadger what Clegg or Ashdown think. They are both EU creatures bought and paid for. Their pensions depend on them not saying anything negative about the EU, no matter how corrupt it is or how undemocratic it becomes.

I'm sure that 'Call me Dave' is sitting in No. 10 this morning wetting himself over what Clegg and Ashdown have to say, especially after having read the poll results in this mornings 'Independent'.
Ya the poles were quite interesting really weren't they Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 16:32   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya the poles were quite interesting really weren't they Bob
North, South, barbers, or those eastern europeans?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 16:36   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
North, South, barbers, or those eastern europeans?
The Warsaw Chronicle Actually
Old 11-12-2011, 16:45   #20
God Member

Poles, in my experience are very nice, friendly people. I went to school with quite a lot of them and we got along famously. Surprisingly well mannered too!

Polls on the other hand are tricky beasts at the best of times. Best not to put too much trust in Polls, or Pollsters for that matter. There's been many a slip betwixt Poll and Polling Station, as I am sure you are all too aware of, jay. Still, as you say, Interesting stuff.
Old 11-12-2011, 16:54   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Poles, in my experience are very nice, friendly people. I went to school with quite a lot of them and we got along famously. Surprisingly well mannered too!

Polls on the other hand are tricky beasts at the best of times. Best not to put too much trust in Polls, or Pollsters for that matter. There's been many a slip betwixt Poll and Polling Station, as I am sure you are all too aware of, jay. Still, as you say, Interesting stuff.
Ya but there are so many Polls (not poles) in the press this morning, which won't have given Mr Clegg or Ashdown anything to be cheerful about, think they're on a loser there Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 17:29   #22
God Member

They were from the day they were born.

How can anyone in their right mind attach themselves to a party that has not been anywhere near government since 1922 and still hope to retain any shred of credibility? They need to be reminded from time to time that they are only in the coalition to make up the numbers. They get carried away with signing their names on official notepaper.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 11-12-2011 at 17:31.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 17:39   #23
God Member

I think Clegg and Ashdown could well do with reaquainting themselves with the traditions of their own party...

"If there be any party which is more pledged than another to resist a policy of restrictive legislation, having for its object social coercion, that party is the Liberal party. (Cheers.) But liberty does not consist in making others do what you think right, (Hear, hear.) The difference between a free Government and a Government which is not free is principally this—that a Government which is not free interferes with everything it can, and a free Government interferes with nothing except what it must. A despotic Government tries to make everybody do what it wishes; a Liberal Government tries, as far as the safety of society will permit, to allow everybody to do as he wishes. It has been the tradition of the Liberal party consistently to maintain the doctrine of individual liberty. It is because they have done so that England is the place where people can do more what they please than in any other country in the world...It is this practice of allowing one set of people to dictate to another set of people what they shall do, what they shall think, what they shall drink, when they shall go to bed, what they shall buy, and where they shall buy it, what wages they shall get and how they shall spend them, against which the Liberal party have always protested."

(Sir William Harcourt, speaking in 1872)
Old 11-12-2011, 18:35   #24
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Quite right Bob they'll just have to come to terms with being the junior party in the government or become obsolete 3 years early
Lets go for the election and get rid of the PC nitwits altogether. You know, I might even consider voting if Cameron has the bottle to go for it! Then again - maybe not!!!

Last edited by Stumped; 11-12-2011 at 18:39.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 18:49   #25
Give, give, give member

Now people have had the chance to see the European brown nosing, mealy-mouthed hypocrites in government, hopefully it'll be another hundred years before the Liberals have another taste of power.

But that Nice Nick Clegg did 'look' really nice on those pre-election telly debates, so who'd have known?

Anyone with half a brain, that's who.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 18:54   #26
Beacon of light

I have been wanting to ask all day(and have done a damn fine job restraining myself)I wonder what our local MP thinks of the situation....I wonder if he thinks that 95% of the population couldn't give a toss about the EU right now.
Maybe he will come on and tell us.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 18:57   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have been wanting to ask all day(and have done a damn fine job restraining myself)I wonder what our local MP thinks of the situation....I wonder if he thinks that 95% of the population couldn't give a toss about the EU right now.
Maybe he will come on and tell us.
Well said.

Don't however expect a reply, the site had it's uses for him and a few others but...

None seem to need us anymore.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 19:03   #28
Beacon of light

Oh Less, I won't hold my breath. His absence has been noted...especially when there have been things he could have clarified for us.....but then maybe he now considers that we have done what we were supposed to and are of no further use...well, that is until next time.

I do hope we remember how dismissive he was of our concerns and worries....and how he turned a deaf ear to them, in favour of following the party line.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 19:10   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well said.

Don't however expect a reply, the site had it's uses for him and a few others but...

None seem to need us anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Oh Less, I won't hold my breath. His absence has been noted...especially when there have been things he could have clarified for us.....but then maybe he now considers that we have done what we were supposed to and are of no further use...well, that is until next time.

I do hope we remember how dismissive he was of our concerns and worries....and how he turned a deaf ear to them, in favour of following the party line.
You have both summed up that point very well, i personally am past caring,but feel G.J. will become as despised as Nice boy Nick before to long,i am sad to say.
Old 11-12-2011, 19:18   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I for one will still vote for him, and given the chance, all those that regularly used to come on site to tell us the differences they would make.
There is one alteration, this time unless they can explain how they have ignored us, I will be voting for them, OUT!

How long they been in? The only difference is one close to Mags heart 'dog ****', put the fine up, yeah well done, so much more you could have done in the time, but that is it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..