Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 11:56   #1

Where have all the good restaurants gone!

To whom it may concern,

Approximately two weeks ago I and my little family decided that we'd like to go out and have a nice meal and a few drinks at our local Italian restaurant. This was a limited decision as there aren’t many restaurants within the town centre you can hire a cheap taxi to get to. We decided that church street would be a lovely place to indulge our senses that night. On arrival we were brought through to our lovely table were drinks were ordered. So far it was a good night!!

Then it was time for food. I ordered a fillet steak and the missus a seafood pie. Our other family member ordered a child’s salami pizza! We were feeling flush and the drinks were helping the cash flow!

Then it came, our feast. Although the grumpy waiter (you know the one I mean!) did take a little over half an hour. We weren’t worried though it was nice to get the chance to have a few social drinks with the family.

However it was without doubt the worst horror of an excuse for food I’ve ever seen or just barley tasted. The steak was pure gristle, the seafood pie a disgrace and the child’s pizza was so spicy she started crying because it was hurting her mouth and the water wouldn’t stop it hurting!!!

You’d think maybe on these grounds a complaint would lead to a let off the bill as we couldn’t eat the trash that was served to us and we were looking at a £50 bill for this. Instead we were told not to expect to walk out without paying and lots of intimidating stairs came from the kitchen - the demon chefs could watch you squirm!!

Anyway if any of you have had a similar experience at an Italian in Accy please complain because otherwise the swine’s will do it again and again as they know they probably can!

J
JSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2004, 14:52   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Where have all the good restaurants gone!

Why not post the name of all the bad ones have a "really crappy restaurants" list that may make them improve.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 15:00   #3

Its a good point! Wouldnt it be nice though to live in a town where you can get a nice meal in nice company and not be in a pub or paying the earth!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 15:09   #4
God Member

Have there ever been any good restaurants in Accy?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 15:11   #5

My one experience of said restaurant was very favourable to be honest! This was last year though and the chef might have changed blah blah blah.

Franco's? Checo's? I've always heard good things about these places yet have never been as we usually go for an Indian when we eat out.
Old 03-09-2004, 15:15   #6

There Ok for a something of the norm - but what about somthing that try's and may bring in a few out of townies, never know they might bring with them an incentive to slow the increase in the dreaded pound shop - but thats a whole new whinge!
Old 03-09-2004, 15:32   #7
Resting in peace

Francos is good. I know it is good because I have been told it is good by partner and family. However, the one occasion I was going to go, I was, in the words of the immortal Ronnie Scott "taken suddenly drunk", so they left me behind. Story of my life really.

Chimes in Ossy is good, but they are London prices. Up to you, really. Good quality food, a bit fancy, but I've always enjoyed it.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 15:39   #8

I know its out of town and quite pricey taxi wise if no-one fancies driving there but B's Bar (Wellsprings) in Pendleton (Pendle Hill nr ski slope) is good. They do Mexican and Spanish dishes but aren't cheap - but they do Hoegaarden on tap which is always nice, good views too.
Old 03-09-2004, 20:49   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Checcos in Arrod, Francos in Ossy and Monte Christo in Church are all good, or I've found them to be. Had a decent meal at Basement in Clayton a couple of years back, and have also had decent grub at Callums in Accy. Maybe I should stay in more..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:30   #10
Senior Member+

I have always found church street chippy to be very good, as you can tell i do live the high life. LOL
Old 04-09-2004, 17:18   #11

Just had a fantastic meal steak, baked potatoes, mushrooms, onions and salad. All from my kitchen and best of all the kids washed up. hehehehe
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 21:24   #12
Senior Member+

Franco's has always been excellent when I have been but it's not in Accrington.....
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 00:15   #13

I can't say I like to eat out in accy but The Windmill is brill for typical pub grub out on Preston Old Road and also out that way, Quattros is supposed to be great. Never tried that though..............
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:20   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I've tried Quattros, it was really good. They also do Sardinian Myrto (nice liqueur) at Quattros, none of the other Italian restaurants round here stock it. Beautiful drink...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:17   #15
God Member

Callums would be really nice if he wasn't there. The food is good but he is just so annoying.

Coach and Horses on hassy old road is very nice. Been for teh last two Xmas dinners there.

Clarkes at 73(haslingden) is also very good but only opens Fri and Sat nights and gets booked up.

Balt Stan gets my vote for Indian and I believe Guide Cantonese is one of the best for oriental.

Papa luigis is normally OK, Can be a bit pricy if you go teh whole hog and a bottle of wine(or two)

Get a copy of Hi-Life to get some very good deals and a very handy directory of restaurants.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

« Sanctuary | Arrgh! »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..