Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2021, 00:00   #1

Where there's a Will...

People don’t generally like talking about Wills, or make one, maybe because this means they have to face their own mortality – but instead they should think how much pressure they will take off their family at a very difficult time. It’s the last thing they can do for them. Do it – and then forget about it.

I have been researching a bit (well I asked Mr Google) and found that in the UK only 4 out of 10 adults have Wills – which means some 31 million adults (give or take a couple) do not have a Will. In Australia more than half the adult population don’t have one either.

Would be interesting to know how many of you have done the necessary that will make at least some thngs a bit easier for those you leave behind - and if not why not. If you have a Will do you update it now and then? When a friend of mine became a single mum of 5 small boys she made a Will in which she left her children in the care of a sister. The youngest of these is now 53! Yes, definitely time to update.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2021, 07:53   #2

Re: Where there's a Will...

Did ours as soon as we had kids to make sure everything would be all right for them. Have updated them a few times since with changes in the family.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:03   #3
Beacon of light

I always thought that if there was a Will, then seeking probate would be unnecessary.
But from what went on after I lost Ma tells me otherwise.
Ma left a Will…..but it had not been properly signed or witnessed….so it was only useful as lavvy paper….other than it gave me something of a laugh…..’you can tell that bar-steward J**** he is getting bu88er all’.

Dorothy, sorting out Ma’s affairs was tough…..and wouldn’t you think it would have taught me something?
But No…..I am one of those many folk who have yet to get my affairs in order.
Although, I suppose it would be straight forward as there is only one child to benefit.
Yes, it is to do with confronting our mortality…….you never think about it when you are young and when you get older, you think about it a lot.
dotti34 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:49   #4

Only last week Mrs taddy and I received our Power of Attorney documents, one each for property and financial affairs and one each for health and welfare; they would have been a minefield to fill in if our eldest daughter (who works for the government pension service), had not helped us out. I do realise that I am a numpty where computers and the like are concerned but even my daughter who works with such rules and regulations had to contact the Office of the Public Guardian (WHAT), by phone in order to make any sense of the gobbledegook and it took three months to sort. (Rant Over) wheres my Hobgoblin.
dotti34 likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 17:00   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i aint done one not likely too.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 13-10-2021, 08:37   #6

Quiz Question:
What is the thing that all people have a lifetime to do, but never do it?

Yes, your correct it’s making a will.

Must get pen to paper today!!
dotti34 likes this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 11:02   #7
God Member

let em all fight over what i,ll be leaving. fresh air.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 17:00   #8

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1258392]let em all fight over what i,ll be leaving. fresh air.
Aye well, plenty oh that in Yorkshire.
Old 13-10-2021, 19:19   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Aye well, plenty oh that in Yorkshire.

Maybe not, them tight fisted bu88ers over the border are running round with plazzy bags to catch it all in & cart it off home!

And no, I've not done a will recently, I suppose I should do though as things change often in our lives without any prior warning & then it's to late.
david1, dotti34 and taddy like this.
Old 14-10-2021, 00:10   #10

Taddy that is a smart move and worth the effort. When my husband died I wanted to make sure that if ever I am incapacitated and can’t manage my finances I know these will be handled by two trustworthy people who have my best interests at heart and not some court-appointed person who I do not know, and who has no idea who I am, so I made sure I have an Enduring Power of Attorney in place.

However, when I expire this will expire with me – and then my Will takes over.
taddy likes this.
Old 14-10-2021, 00:11   #11

My sister’s husband passed away very suddenly (and I do mean suddenly - he was making a sandwich, collapsed and died, just like that, no pre-warning) and he had not got round to making a Will. He was quite fit, not that old, actually younger than my sister – and probably thought he had plenty of time to do this. He played the stock market a bit and left a portfolio of shares and investments, and, even though she was his wife, it took Alice months to get the legalities sorted and everything signed over to her. Okay, it kept her mind occupied at a very emotional time, and gave her something to do, but it was an occupation that she could have done without. She made certain that she had a Will in place to save her son the trauma that she had been through.
taddy likes this.
Old 14-10-2021, 09:24   #12
God Member

think a lot of this is really horses for courses. if you have something to actually leave then i agree with making a will. the other group is the ones living together who are not divorced with their previous wives and husbands still alive with kids from the previous marriages you may or may not have contact with along with those from your present relationship. this can get really nasty with some having more legal rights than others. its surprising how many come out of the woodwork if there is money around.
Old 14-10-2021, 09:25   #13
God Member

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1258395]Maybe not, them tight fisted bu88ers over the border are running round with plazzy bags to catch it all in & cart it off home!

then sell it on for a profit. lovely jubbly.
Old 14-10-2021, 09:30   #14
God Member

bit of useless information regarding the name of this thread. edward woodward actually made his film debut in the film of this name made in 1955.
Old 14-10-2021, 16:30   #15

Sorry M.H. but you will have to explain that "useless bit of information".yours the Luddite.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..