Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2011, 19:53   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Where's it all going to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"Learned" ... mmm, don't know about that ... but I have devoted (wasted?) a great deal of time and effort in the study of bibliography. So, I think I do know what I'm talking about.

Let's leave "Literature" for the moment. Say a particular thread were devoted to the "Pals", local war memorials, or the First World War in general. It would, no doubt, attract the attentions of, and comments from Retlaw. He would bring to the debate his compendious knowledge of the subject, the result of years of hard work and study. Would you suggest that he is "far too serious" to participate in the debate? Would you "tug forelock and [walk] away shaking [your] head"? I doubt it.
Just because you have 'wasted' a great deal of time in the study of bibliography we are supposed to believe that your opinion on what seem to me, to be academic tomes....(you know, the kind of thing you would have to read if you were doing perhaps a University degree in Classical Literature)....Obviously, I have not read any of those titles you have quoted, so feel unable to comment adequately in an informed way......but you give the impression that your opinion is superior......When the thread was about a fictional childrens classic written in the late 19th century
(that is where the obfuscation came in, you quote stuff you know that most of us who post on here will have no knowledge of, so you can say pretty much what you like.......and because of your self professed knowledge we must believe you).
As for the bit about Retlaw......no, I wouldn't say that he is 'far to serious'........this is mainly because he gives his information in a matter of fact, down to earth way....with no attempt to 'hang his knowledge out to dry'.......or to make other contributors to the thread feel that their opinion/education is lacking in gravity. I respect and trust what Retlaw says because he doesn't always tell us he is an expert....you can tell that he is purely on his answers.(no side to him)

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 23-03-2011 at 19:56.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2011, 00:06   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Eric you've got to live in this country to get the gist of the PC brigade, which to me seems far more active than in almost every other country, it won't be long before somebody comes up with an objection to the Black Ball in Snooker or the 8 ball in pool
I don't mean to offend but if you believe that we will end up with the the black ball in snooker called anything else, then you really are caught up in some sort of closed shop senile existence..happy days for you and whowever is typing your posts.... and here's one for you..

Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 00:29   #33
God Member

i dunno mancie the blackball may not be as safe as you think.We can no longer call a blackboard a blackboard these days.Mind you its perfectly ok to call a whiteboard a whiteboard

im also pretty sure that the person who complained about blackboards been called blackboards wasnt black but some limp spined spotty white person with nothing better to do with their time than to look for things they found offencive to blacks on their behalf

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 01:42   #34
God Member

It's all complete rubbish made up by the media.. 6 months ago it was some rattle snake wrestling preacher in America wanting to burn the Koran.. long before that it was the non-existent council who brought us the media myth of the "ba ba rainbow sheep"
I say if people take these cranks as some sort of pc plot then they are the either stupid or are up to stirring the big spoon.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 05:41   #35
God Member

you got to admit though theres truth in some of teh pc brigade stories.Thats why we have festive lights now instead of christmas lights and they are advertised as such by the council.I dare say no muslim complained about chritmas lights but rather some over paid idiot in an office somewhere decided it was offensive to muslims

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..