Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2008, 17:08   #1
Senior Member+

White Men are Banned

What are they thinking about. If you are ethnic or female you can join

Daily Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: White men are banned

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2008, 17:26   #2
God Member

Re: White Men are Banned

Shocking, but not surprising!
Old 26-01-2008, 17:26   #3
Senior Member+

i watched a programme not so long ago about firfighters in the uk, one fireman said when there is a job opening they are inundated with applications from all over the uk, there are more than enough people already needing these jobs why rule out certain people when there isnt enough jobs for the people who want them
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 17:34   #4
God Member

Positive discrimination was used to elect more women candidates for Labour too. It is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 26-01-2008, 17:37   #5
God Member

Please read the story again. There was no question of discrimination and they are not saying that men can not apply for the fire service. They are not ruling men out from applying! All the open days were, were marketed at minority groups to encourage them to apply as well as white men.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 17:45   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Please read the story again. There was no question of discrimination and they are not saying that men can not apply for the fire service. They are not ruling men out from applying! All the open days were, were marketed at minority groups to encourage them to apply as well as white men.
But we know that, in reality, they want more women, and in particular, more ethnics, it is rife in all the services.
Old 26-01-2008, 19:22   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Please read the story again......All the open days were marketed at minority groups to encourage them to apply as well as white men.
Quote:
The bosses held five open days to attract new recruits – with four strictly limited to either women, ethnic minorities or both. They insisted they had acted lawfully.
I read it again. This bit "with four strictly limited to either women, ethnic minorities or both" is wrong.
Old 26-01-2008, 19:27   #8
Senior Member+

*L*

the point i was gonna make gayle. people's reactions are as if they've said no they cant join - its just more awareness in those communities

the army used to hold a few these with us in school i rmemeber gettin all the asians together and giving them talks...
Old 26-01-2008, 19:28   #9
God Member

Marketing something to different demographics is an age old technique to sell more things. They are NOT excluding white men from joining the fire service they are simply trying to market it to women and ethnic minorities.

Old 26-01-2008, 19:30   #10

Avon Fire Service are plainly wrong, however well intended, it was poor judgement.
Old 26-01-2008, 19:31   #11
Give, give, give member

All positive discrimination is wrong, in my opinion.

There is inevitabely always a backlash when it is practised.

Since careers advice, education and training in this country is quite rightly open to everyone, regardless of colour, creed, or gender, there really is no need for this sort of initiative.

It's patronising, and counterproductive.

Perhaps the majority of people who are being targeted, just don't fancy working for the fire service.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 19:32   #12
Resident Waffler

It sounds discriminatory but I understand what you mean Gayle. What they are doing is aiming the awareness at people who may not otherwise have taken an interest but when it comes down to filling the jobs surely what matters is who is best suited to the task, not the colour of their skin, where their granny was born or whether they are male or female.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 19:33   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Avon Fire Service are plainly wrong, however well intended, it was poor judgement.

It was Avon fire service that last year were reprimanded by the courts for shining their torches on 'doggers', whilst supposedly on duty.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 19:35   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
As it happens, I completely agree with you. I also think that the Daily Express has done an exceptional job of scaremongering again - 'white men are so downtrodden, they're being pushed out their own country, women and ethnic minorities will be taking over'.

Old 26-01-2008, 19:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It was Avon fire service that last year were reprimanded by the courts for shining their torches on 'doggers', whilst supposedly on duty.
Flippin' heck, I never heard about that. Thoses firemen really do have initiative

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..