Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2012, 19:28   #16
God Member

re: Whitebirk Retail Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I had forgotten about that, been a bit busy recently.

Who is paying for the elephant, is it HBC or still the LCC rapid transport waste of money to save 3 minutes getting from Accy to Blackburn that will make it easier for Accy folk to shop in Blackburn?
To be honest I have no idea, but I would guess a sizeable proportion would be from the coffers of each council involved, in any case we pay our council tax to local and county council anyway.

It doesn't really matter what the general public think, as long as someone with a big ego gets their name on a brass plaque
Old 23-05-2012, 08:32   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Whitebirk Retail Park

I really thought the rapid nonsense was dead but I heard someone discussing it last night so maybe its still going to happen.
Old 23-05-2012, 08:51   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So, is this any different than local politicians going to watch their football in Blackburn or Burnley?
Totally different, football is a pass time, Accrington town centre is about peoples livelihoods, not everything revolves around 22 men kicking a piece of leather (plastic) on a Saturday afternoon, shopping in your own town is about the fabric of your town and for the person who is supposed to in charge of the town centre saying they are of spending their cash in other towns to me is quite inexcusable, in fact deplorable
Old 23-05-2012, 10:20   #19
God Member

Quote:
I really thought the rapid nonsense was dead but I heard someone discussing it last night so maybe its still going to happen.
They got planning permission the other week to compulsory purchase the land where it's going
Old 23-05-2012, 10:27   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Totally different, football is a pass time, Accrington town centre is about peoples livelihoods, not everything revolves around 22 men kicking a piece of leather (plastic) on a Saturday afternoon, shopping in your own town is about the fabric of your town and for the person who is supposed to in charge of the town centre saying they are of spending their cash in other towns to me is quite inexcusable, in fact deplorable
To be fair the same person did spend money in our shop the other week.

I don't think as retailers we would expect everybody to spend all their money in town, but it would be great if the town a) had more people living here who actually have money to spend on things besides drink and drugs, b) the town was more welcoming to people out of town, the reason for that see a)
Old 23-05-2012, 11:10   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
shopping in your own town is about the fabric of your town and for the person who is supposed to in charge of the town centre saying they are of spending their cash in other towns to me is quite inexcusable, in fact deplorable
Yes, and supporting your local football club is about PRIDE in your own town/borough. The fact that councillors who represent this borough, support clubs in other towns is equally deplorable. If they love those towns so much, why don't they go and live there?
Old 23-05-2012, 12:29   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Yes, and supporting your local football club is about PRIDE in your own town/borough. The fact that councillors who represent this borough, support clubs in other towns is equally deplorable. If they love those towns so much, why don't they go and live there?
I did not realise being a Stanley fan was a condition for being a Hyndburn Councillor. Some of these Councillors may have been fans of other clubs before becoming Councillors.
Old 23-05-2012, 15:16   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
I did not realise being a Stanley fan was a condition for being a Hyndburn Councillor. Some of these Councillors may have been fans of other clubs before becoming Councillors.
No, it's not a condition, if a councillor has no interest in football, I wouldn't expect 'em to go. If they are football fans, they should support their local team. Simple as. If they've been fans of other club, so what? I know loads of Stanley fans who were fans of other clubs before they saw the light! Shouldn't be too difficult for councillors to follow their lead.
Old 23-05-2012, 15:19   #24
God Member

Quote:
No, it's not a condition, if a councillor has no interest in football, I wouldn't expect 'em to go. If they are football fans, they should support their local team. Simple as. If they've been fans of other club, so what? I know loads of Stanley fans who were fans of other clubs before they saw the light! Shouldn't be too difficult for councillors to follow their lead.

quite a few stanley supporters are from great harwood i suppose they shoudl sod off and go watch great harwoods football team then by your rules

Great Harwood may come under accrington/hyndburn but it has a football team and folk born there should watch them or is it ok to break teh rule as long as stanley benefit ?

there is another reason why people dont go watch accy stanley and prefer to pay money for liverpool,united and rovers and thats that accy stanley just arnt that good hence the league they are in although fair play if rovers carry on with keane you may be playing them soon enough.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 23-05-2012 at 15:27.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 15:34   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
quite a few stanley supporters are from great harwood i suppose they shoudl sod off and go watch great harwoods football team then by your rules

Great Harwood may come under accrington/hyndburn but it has a football team and folk born there should watch them or is it ok to break teh rule as long as stanley benefit ?

there is another reason why people dont go watch accy stanley and prefer to pay money for liverpool,united and rovers and thats that accy stanley just arnt that good hence the league they are in although fair play if rovers carry on with keane you may be playing them soon enough.
Are you sure about that, Accyman? Thought Great Harwood FC closed down a few years ago.

If everybody followed your creed that fans should only choose the top teams like Liverpool and United to watch, you'd end up with a dozen premier teams playing each other and all the rest consigned to oblivion. There is such a thing as local loyalty.
Old 23-05-2012, 15:45   #26
God Member

great harwood fc closed eh ,must have been all the harwooders flocking to stanley then instead of watching their home towns team lol

just because you like accy stanley it dosnt mean everyone else from accrington has to watch them

as far as local loyalty im sorry but i do my shopping etc where i feel comfortable and a dirty scruffy town with drunks wandering around it unpoliced isnt my idea of an enjoyable shoppng trip with the kids.

I didnt force me out of accy the people in charge pushed me away and others like me to other places that have councils that invested in and protected their town centers.

mind you credit where credit is due poundland is great for rechargable batteries.

As for whitebirk if restricting development pushes life back into OUR town center and not someone elses then fair play

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 23-05-2012 at 15:48.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 15:59   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
great harwood fc closed eh ,must have been all the harwooders flocking to stanley then instead of watching their home towns team lol

just because you like accy stanley it dosnt mean everyone else from accrington has to watch them

as far as local loyalty im sorry but i do my shopping etc where i feel comfortable and a dirty scruffy town with drunks wandering around it unpoliced isnt my idea of an enjoyable shoppng trip with the kids.

I didnt force me out of accy the people in charge pushed me away and others like me to other places that have councils that invested in and protected their town centers.

mind you credit where credit is due poundland is great for rechargable batteries.

As for whitebirk if restricting development pushes life back into OUR town center and not someone elses then fair play
Would imagine it's more likely that they closed because of folk going to watch Blackburn, Burnley, Man U etc. I don't expect everyone to start watching Stanley, but I would expect more to turn up to boost their gates which are the lowest in the FL and I would expect local councillors to take a lead in this.

Agree about your second point, though.
Old 23-05-2012, 17:40   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Give football a rest, for gods sake after all theres only 1500 even care about Stanley enough to put money over the turnstills every week
Old 23-05-2012, 17:43   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
To be fair the same person did spend money in our shop the other week.

I don't think as retailers we would expect everybody to spend all their money in town, but it would be great if the town a) had more people living here who actually have money to spend on things besides drink and drugs, b) the town was more welcoming to people out of town, the reason for that see a)
I don't have a problem with anybody spending there money anywhere they want Dave but if your a councillor responsible for the Town Centre please don't advertise the fact on social networking sites that your going shopping in other town centres, its called using your brain.
Old 23-05-2012, 17:47   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Give football a rest, for gods sake after all theres only 1500 even care about Stanley enough to put money over the turnstills every week
That's the problem and it doesn't help when local councillors go to watch clubs in other towns.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..