Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: who would get your vote for next US President
McCain 12 36.36%
Obama 14 42.42%
none of above 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 14:42   #46
God Member

Re: Who gets your vote for the next president

To be honest I don't know his parentage to refer to him as a black man. He could be black-american, black-african etc etc etc. He's just got coloured skin that isn't white, therefore I refer to him as coloured.

Things should only be offensive in my opinion if they are said in malice.

The part upto where I said 'in all seriousness' is 'drivel' as you put it, because it was said in humour. The rest I meant based on an opinion as Mike would refer to 'from the heart'. I don't know american politics enough to give a well rounded opinion from heart and mind. Difference is that I'm not pretending to be able to.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-06-2008, 14:44   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
One man can't run a country - it is the people he chooses as advisors and administrators that do the work.
The ability to choose the right team is the key to success, plus having the charisma to inspire that team.

Sadly Gordo fails in that ............miserably
I am not au fait with US politics, but think Obama has charisma

When you said this, Hitler popped into my mind.
Old 06-06-2008, 14:52   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

gotta say i took blazeys opening remarks as jest albeit sarcastic jest, saw nothing offensive at all. think a few could do with lightening up a bit, to me that line of thinking is more condusive to racism than owt she said.
Old 06-06-2008, 14:56   #49
God Member

I've just been reading http://cleantechnica.com/2008/06/05/...il-dependence/

I wonder if Obama is aware that using food as fuel will lead to massive price inflations on food all over the world, most negatively affecting those who have the least. I wonder if he has realised that the price of biofuels has risen in line with petrol, because whatever price petrol is, if biofuels remain lower they will always remain competative. Theres always going to be supply & demand problems here because it takes so much land to generate the crops when you want to use them to run cars.
Old 06-06-2008, 15:03   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I've just been reading http://cleantechnica.com/2008/06/05/...il-dependence/

I wonder if Obama is aware that using food as fuel will lead to massive price inflations on food all over the world, most negatively affecting those who have the least. I wonder if he has realised that the price of biofuels has risen in line with petrol, because whatever price petrol is, if biofuels remain lower they will always remain competative. Theres always going to be supply & demand problems here because it takes so much land to generate the crops when you want to use them to run cars.
I didn't realise he supports biofuel. That has now lost my vote!
Old 06-06-2008, 15:08   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just been looking at the score, most brits have voted for obama, myself included, this is from a nation that voted Thatcher into power, beware steeljack.
Old 06-06-2008, 15:15   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
To be honest I don't know his parentage to refer to him as a black man. He could be black-american, black-african etc etc etc. He's just got coloured skin that isn't white, therefore I refer to him as coloured.

isnt it strange that as soon as you type the words coloured or black you find yourself on the defensive no matter how innocently you use the words ,we are programed by the minority of the country to the extent where we find ourselves questioning oursleves if it is worth the backlash from the minority yet very extreem PC brigade or having to justify using the words

its also very strange how its only white people that moan about people useing terms like coloured person or black person, i just love how people get offended on the behalf of others in this country lol

this is not a dig at what garinda put about the term "black person" been offensive but a dig at the sorry state of affairs that has led to that term been offensive

if someone was going to be offensive to a black person they wouldnt say go away you black person they would say go away you scruffy ****** " and would be well within their rights to consider themselves well and truely insulted

ok rant over about the PC brigade please do continue

Last edited by Mick; 07-06-2008 at 06:12.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 15:18   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just been looking at the score, most brits have voted for obama, myself included, this is from a nation that voted Thatcher into power, beware steeljack.

we didnt vote her in there was some dodgy vote counting in texas

oh hang on that was somone else

oops
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 15:19   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
isnt it strange that as soon as you type the words coloured or black you find yourself on the defensive no matter how innocently you use the words ,we are programed by the minority of the country to the extent where we find ourselves questioning oursleves if it is worth the backlash from the minority yet very extreem PC brigade or having to justify using the words

its also very strange how its only white people that moan about people useing terms like coloured person or black person, i just love how people get offended on the behalf of others in this country lol

this is not a dig at what garinda put about the term "black person" been offensive but a dig at the sorry state of affairs that has led to that term been offensive

if someone was going to be offensive to a black person they wouldnt say go away you black person they would say go away you scruffy ni**er " and would be well within their rights to consider themselves well and truely insulted

ok rant over about the PC brigade please do continue

We use the term black within 'black and minority ethnic officer' here at that place I study 50 miles away from accrington, nobody finds that offensive. It is just when terms are used in a malicious context like I said.

Last edited by Mick; 07-06-2008 at 06:13.
Old 06-06-2008, 16:12   #55
Yank in King Art's Court!

Just to clarify, I believe Obama's mom is white and his father was from Kenya.

Although McCain is a bit more liberal then myself, I have hoped he'd gain the nomination almost a year ago. I didn't think he had much of a chance against Romney or Guiliani.

I value his experience, his wisdom, and political savvy. He has always been a Maverick (not always towing the Republican line) which I respect him for.

Obama is certainly the main stream media's golden child in this election. He has had a number of gaffs, incorrect summations, and shady dealings that have been glossed over by our press (IMO).

We shall see. I do so hope that he (Obama is not swayed to bring the Billary show to the Vice-Presidency. IMO, those two need to find that slimy rock they came from, bring their truckload of skeletons, and be heard no more from!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 18:37   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6132672.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored

From your photographs you don't look the above colour, therefore are you colored?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 18:46   #57

For those of you who think Senator McCain is too old......you obviously haven't seen his mother, Roberta. She is 96 years old, very fit and sharp as a tack. She has been out on the campaign trail with him on numerous occasions and interviewed on t.v. I think he's got the genes to do the job.

Senator Obama will be the closest thing to a Marxist that we've ever had as a presidential candidate. He has had a lifelong love affair with Marxism - and has written about it. He always gravitated to student groups and professors of like mind when he was at university and continued to consort with others of this ilk as an adult. He has associated with some very interesting characters. Communists, Marxists, anti-Americans, black racists and even a domestic terrorist by the name of Bill Ayers. There is nothing in his rhetoric of "change" and "hope" that is new. It's all a throwback to the radicalism of the 1960's. He merely wants to throw even more good money after bad at all of these failed liberal policies. By the way, he isn't a Muslim - although his father's family is.

I think it's clear that the Democrat party would prefer to see the Clintons ride off into the sunset. As I have mentioned on other threads, Bill Clinton was never as popular here as he was, (and perhaps still is), on your side of the pond. We shall see if the VP slot is offered to Hillary Clinton. I would be very surprised if that were to happen.

All in all, I would vote, "None of the above." But I know I am going to have to make a decision by November. In the meantime, I am going to sit back, watch the fun and pass the popcorn.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 21:24   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

I actually posted that the term 'colored' was deemed offensive, apparently 'black' is perfectly acceptable.

This is just an observation about the society we live in.

I'm lucky.

I call a spade a spade.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 21:26   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I call a spade a spade.
I'm glad you do... it would be silly calling a spade a flower..wouldn't it

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 00:44   #60
God Member

seems the left of center 'media' have decided that Obama is not African-American (too many bad connotations) but is Bi-Racial (sounds of the coca cola childrens choir singing Kumbya in the background). All this is just public manipulation and spin which would make Dr. Goebbels proud .
Re. Bullseyebarb 's comments about him being a Marxist is also a bit strong , anyone who wants to normalize relations with Cuba gets points from me , and why the US has to be Israels bitch on foriegn policy is beyond me , all countries in that region of the world should be treated the same (maybe it has something to do with over 10% of the US congress being entitled to duel citizenship) seem to remember that when I became a US citizen I had to take an oath denying all foriegn Govt.s
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..