Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: who would get your vote for next US President
McCain 12 36.36%
Obama 14 42.42%
none of above 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 00:47   #61
God Member

Re: Who gets your vote for the next president

Obama.. don't know about him, asked a few bods about him and they don't know.. so any Democrat would do for me.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2008, 01:13   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I actually posted that the term 'colored' was deemed offensive, apparently 'black' is perfectly acceptable.

This is just an observation about the society we live in.

I'm lucky.

I call a spade a spade.
If you were a proper polition you would call a spade a shuvel
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:34   #63
God Member

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6132672.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored

From your photographs you don't look the above colour, therefore are you colored?
OK Garinda,

this actually works to my advantage. No human is purely white, but most 'white' people are pale, and as we associate everything with a colour, we choose the nearest one, in accordance with our race, white. I suppose we could choose pink, or whatever, but we don't for whatever reason. I actually think of my own skin colour as light tanned but unfortunately everything formal refers to our race as white.

I didn't know his heritage or the way he refers to himself, therefore the way best for me to describe him is as a coloured man. It would be worse for me to refer to him as a black man if he himself does not necessarily refer to him in such a way, like assuming someone is chinese when they are actually japanese for example.

I am also quite capable of using google, and I am also educated enough to know how to use the English language without having the PC brigade on my heels telling me what is right and wrong, when I was clever using the words in a friendly context that doesn't even require your input, nor do I feel you even have the right to comment on such a thing when it isn't even an issue.

Not to mention that by your theory, obama isn't black either :S

Last edited by blazey; 07-06-2008 at 05:37.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:40   #64
God Member

And because I have nothing better to do, I viewed the pictures of myself and obama in paint and found that I can find a lot of white in my own picture, along with peachy colours, where as obama's is many shades of brown.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:24   #65
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
OK Garinda,

this actually works to my advantage. No human is purely white, but most 'white' people are pale, and as we associate everything with a colour, we choose the nearest one, in accordance with our race, white. I suppose we could choose pink, or whatever, but we don't for whatever reason. I actually think of my own skin colour as light tanned but unfortunately everything formal refers to our race as white.

I didn't know his heritage or the way he refers to himself, therefore the way best for me to describe him is as a coloured man. It would be worse for me to refer to him as a black man if he himself does not necessarily refer to him in such a way, like assuming someone is chinese when they are actually japanese for example.

I am also quite capable of using google, and I am also educated enough to know how to use the English language without having the PC brigade on my heels telling me what is right and wrong, when I was clever using the words in a friendly context that doesn't even require your input, nor do I feel you even have the right to comment on such a thing when it isn't even an issue.

Not to mention that by your theory, obama isn't black either :S
If you ever manage to find yourself in court and use the term 'coloured' it will be deemed offensive by those in the legal system with a little more experience of life than yourself.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:33   #66
God Member

Quote:
If you ever manage to find yourself in court and use the term 'coloured' it will be deemed offensive by those in the legal system with a little more experience of life than yourself.
unless they make been a smart arse illigal i cant realy see her been in court

only kidding blaze

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 13:07   #67
Resting in Peace

I know America have come a long way since Martin Luther King jr. made the I have a dream speach in 1968, but have they come fare enough to elect an Afro American president, I don't know. The Americn people have not made the same strides in race relations as we have in this country, there are still a lot of white supremacy groups in the sates, and they still get away with things over the pond that we would be slated for over here and indeed prosecuted, but I supose only time will tell
Old 07-06-2008, 14:25   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I know America have come a long way since Martin Luther King jr. made the I have a dream speach in 1968, but have they come fare enough to elect an Afro American president, I don't know. The Americn people have not made the same strides in race relations as we have in this country, there are still a lot of white supremacy groups in the sates, and they still get away with things over the pond that we would be slated for over here and indeed prosecuted, but I supose only time will tell
think that sums up very well,the state of play in the good ole usa, saying that from my experiances over there.
Old 07-06-2008, 16:28   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
unless they make been a smart arse illigal i cant realy see her been in court

only kidding blaze
What does 'illigal' mean?
Old 07-06-2008, 16:52   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
What does 'illigal' mean?

It's word used by the coloured folks.

Old 07-06-2008, 16:52   #71
Senior Member+

normally i'm a democrat fan but i think obama will be bad news for global politics

he's very inexperienced in that field and some of his speeches highlight great impartiality in alot of global issues including palestine
Old 07-06-2008, 17:04   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
normally i'm a democrat fan but i think obama will be bad news for global politics

he's very inexperienced in that field and some of his speeches highlight great impartiality in alot of global issues including palestine
I agree with all you say - plus he's a very dark shade of white.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 21:07   #73
God Member

Quote:
It's word used by the coloured folks.
I see, well it isn't offensive because I can't comprehend it, so I don't really give a damn lol.

My boyfriend is running for race relations officer we're both very anti-racism. Lots of fun. I nearly got arrested for my strong views against racism, but fortunately I do actually know the law so I covered my own back just about, but it is one of those issues I feel very strongly about. If I had known Obama's heritage I woul not hesitate to refer to him as black or whatever, but I don't, therefore I refered to him as coloured. I haven't ever heard anyone rant about the use of the word coloured, but perhaps I am not associating myself enough with the PC brigade.
Old 07-06-2008, 21:16   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I see, well it isn't offensive because I can't comprehend it, so I don't really give a damn lol.

My boyfriend is running for race relations officer we're both very anti-racism. Lots of fun. I nearly got arrested for my strong views against racism, but fortunately I do actually know the law so I covered my own back just about, but it is one of those issues I feel very strongly about. If I had known Obama's heritage I woul not hesitate to refer to him as black or whatever, but I don't, therefore I refered to him as coloured. I haven't ever heard anyone rant about the use of the word coloured, but perhaps I am not associating myself enough with the PC brigade.
A member of the lesbian and gay society, a boyfriend running for the race relation officer, not knowing that because of it's links to apatheid etc, that the term colored is deemed offensive, not knowing that Barack Obama refers to himself as black, as does the rest of the world's media, my what a sheltered life you lead.

Good luck with your exams. I hope nothing comes up that requires any logic, or a smattering of knowledge about world affairs.

Old 07-06-2008, 21:39   #75
God Member

Quote:
A member of the lesbian and gay society, a boyfriend running for the race relation officer, not knowing that because of it's links to apatheid etc, that the term colored is deemed offensive, not knowing that Barack Obama refers to himself as black, as does the rest of the world's media, my what a sheltered life you lead.

Good luck with your exams. I hope nothing comes up that requires any logic, or a smattering of knowledge about world affairs.
I study English law, why would I know, or need to know about American politics?

The term 'coloured' hasn't ALWAYS been deemed offensive, in fact it has been used in many laws, though fair enough in countries with strong divides of the races and lots of issues with racism, but all the same it HAS been used in laws, so I don't particularly worry about using such a term.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..