Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 17:31   #136
God Member

Re: who is this Daniel Hannan guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Also have you any suggestions, as to where the pupils at these schools should be educated if they closed.
Yes, new schools would be set up by independent organisations rather than the state. Competition reduces cost and frees up more money to spend on pupils and better teachers.
Old 04-09-2009, 17:33   #137
God Member

Quote:
Andrew
Thank you for informing me of something I already knew - but I still fail to see how mentioning the US Constitution has any relevance to the UK. Maybe you could explain.
She was talking about the US education and health system, Garinda mentioned defence. The constitution which allows the US education system not to be controlled by the federal state, does allow it to take care of defence
Old 04-09-2009, 17:47   #138
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Yes, new schools would be set up by independent organisations rather than the state. Competition reduces cost and frees up more money to spend on pupils and better teachers.
Which 'independent organisations'?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 17:51   #139
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Which 'independent organisations'?
Communities, philanthropists, existing working schools, co-operates..
Old 04-09-2009, 17:56   #140
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Communities, philanthropists, existing working schools, co-operates..
So in times of recession, bankruptcies, redundancies etc., children's education would suffer because of lack of funds at certain schools?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 17:58   #141
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
So in times of recession, bankruptcies, redundancies etc., children's education would suffer because of lack of funds at certain schools?
Not at all no. Sweden did the same in the time of recession and it dramatically improved their education system.
Old 04-09-2009, 18:26   #142

Quote:
She was talking about the US education and health system, Garinda mentioned defence. The constitution which allows the US education system not to be controlled by the federal state, does allow it to take care of defence
I fully understand what Garinda was posting about, just fail to see where the US constitution fits into this argument.. You don't have the monopoly on intelligence. Some of us have received our education in the great university of life and speak from many years of experience, rather than the book learning you pontificate from.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 18:32   #143

Quote:
Andrew have you asked David Cameron if it is permissable to quote these views about schools.

What happens when the competition has forced all other competitors out of business - then they can charge what they want. This really is devil take the hindmost thinking

I will quote what one of your Facebook friends has just posted - 'Seriously though, those who rely on state intervention and handouts will never be able to better themselves. The poor are a blemish on our society.'

Could you tell us what your views are on their statement?

Last edited by claytonender; 04-09-2009 at 18:35.
Old 04-09-2009, 18:32   #144
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Unlike others on this thread you have grasped the gist of it. In actuality, we do fund local schools with property taxes. The biggest percentage of my annual property tax bill is for education. As long as we are spending that kind of dough, I want decisions regarding education to be made here within the community and not by some DC bureaucrat. Apparently, that's just too hard for some people to understand.
I find myself agreeing with you on this .... (yes, I am sober) ... most of my property taxes go to fund education. And I do vote to choose members of my local school board. The Federal Govt. has no say in education (apart from schools on First Nations Territory); but the Province of Ontario, which tosses in about $30 billion into the education pot does set very firm guidelines in order to insure that there are some province wide standards. There are some things that would appear strange to many, like the public funding of a Roman Catholic Separate School system ... but that comes from concessions made in 1867, in the British North America Act. However, before I po Claytonender, I will say that I also like "decisions regarding education to be made here within the community and not by some (Ottawa) bureaucrat."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 18:36   #145
God Member

Quote:
Andrew have you asked David Cameron if it is permissable to quote these views about schools.

What happens when the competition has forced all other competitors out of business - then they can charge what they want. This really is devil take the hindmost thinking

I will quote what one of your Facebook friends has just posted - 'Seriously though, those who rely on state intervention and handouts will never be able to better themselves. The poor are a blemish on our society.'

Could you tell us what your views are on their statement?
I saw that quote on Facebook and find it very insulting, just hope whoever wrote the quote never falls on hard times
Old 04-09-2009, 18:38   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I saw that quote on Facebook and find it very insulting, just hope whoever wrote the quote never falls on hard times
They were my exact thoughts as well.
Old 04-09-2009, 18:41   #147
God Member

Quote:
They were my exact thoughts as well.
It is no fun when you are unable to work and have to rely on the state without reading remarks like that from pretensious little gits who have probably never done a days graft in their lifes!!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 18:49   #148
God Member

Quote:

You'd fund them with vouchers same value per pupil as state schools so you wouldn't get that problem.

No I haven't consulted David Cameron, what a silly question.
Old 04-09-2009, 18:51   #149
God Member

Quote:
Not at all no. Sweden did the same in the time of recession and it dramatically improved their education system.
Well that's it all sorted then..if Sweden did it then it must be the best way forward.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 18:59   #150
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post

Talking about those who rely on state handouts etc.: where does that leave GM, Chrysler, AIG, etc. .... blemishes on society maybe.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..