Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 15:13   #151

Re: who is this Daniel Hannan guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Talking about those who rely on state handouts etc.: where does that leave GM, Chrysler, AIG, etc. .... blemishes on society maybe.

Well said, my friend. Corporate welfare is just as insidious.

Re your previous post on education - it's nice that we can be in agreement from time to time.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2009, 15:30   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I will quote what one of your Facebook friends has just posted - 'Seriously though, those who rely on state intervention and handouts will never be able to better themselves. The poor are a blemish on our society.'

Perhaps you have misinterpreted the quote. Is it possible that this young person is referring to those who view welfare as not only their due, but a permanent way of life? Quite different from the temporary social safety net which I believe is what you and Bernie are discussing.

Old 07-09-2009, 15:41   #153
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Perhaps you have misinterpreted the quote. Is it possible that this young person is referring to those who view welfare as not only their due, but a permanent way of life? Quite different from the temporary social safety net which I believe is what you and Bernie are discussing.
Makes little odds really how it was meant as genuine claimants are lumped together with shirkers in a lot of peoples eyes. And believe you me I know from when Ian was ill, because the illness was not visible he was classed as a shirker by many people
Old 07-09-2009, 16:02   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Makes little odds really how it was meant as genuine claimants are lumped together with shirkers in a lot of peoples eyes. And believe you me I know from when Ian was ill, because the illness was not visible he was classed as a shirker by many people

God bless Ian. Now I can understand why the Facebook comment stung so.
Old 07-09-2009, 16:13   #155
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Andrew have you asked David Cameron if it is permissable to quote these views about schools.

What happens when the competition has forced all other competitors out of business - then they can charge what they want. This really is devil take the hindmost thinking

I will quote what one of your Facebook friends has just posted - 'Seriously though, those who rely on state intervention and handouts will never be able to better themselves. The poor are a blemish on our society.'

Could you tell us what your views are on their statement?
i notice andrew responded to the first part of yer quote, yet ignored the last paragraph, whatever are we to think about his views on it?
Old 08-09-2009, 18:54   #156
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i notice andrew responded to the first part of yer quote, yet ignored the last paragraph, whatever are we to think about his views on it?
Keeping you guessing? I doubt it, you don't need to guess, you know me better. Not gonna spend my time commenting on what other people have said on Facebook, especially when the only purpose it's posted on Accringtonweb for is one of political advantage from a Labour councillor. I'm not rent-a-quote... unless you pay.
Old 08-09-2009, 19:59   #157
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Well said, my friend. Corporate welfare is just as insidious.

Re your previous post on education - it's nice that we can be in agreement from time to time.
It does feel good to be able to agree on occasion .... on the education thing, it is a clear case of "no taxation without representation" ... I think that is an American idea ... and a dammed good one, the foundation of any great democracy.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 23:23   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Keeping you guessing? I doubt it, you don't need to guess, you know me better. Not gonna spend my time commenting on what other people have said on Facebook, especially when the only purpose it's posted on Accringtonweb for is one of political advantage from a Labour councillor. I'm not rent-a-quote... unless you pay.
I was not trying to use the post for political advantage - just appalled by what one of your acquaintances had written.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:02   #159

Quote:
I was not trying to use the post for political advantage - just appalled by what one of your acquaintances had written.
One cannot be responsible for what another states, we are all entitled to our own opinions, just has you state you are appalled by it, however it should not be referenced to Andrew in my opinion.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42   #160
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
One cannot be responsible for what another states, we are all entitled to our own opinions, just has you state you are appalled by it, however it should not be referenced to Andrew in my opinion.
whilst true ya can't be responsible fer what another states, the owd saying is, "People judge ya, by the company ya keep".
Old 10-09-2009, 08:56   #161
God Member

Quote:
whilst true ya can't be responsible fer what another states, the owd saying is, "People judge ya, by the company ya keep".
In which case I wouldn't bother going off 'Facebook friends'.
Old 10-09-2009, 23:05   #162
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
In which case I wouldn't bother going off 'Facebook friends'.
just remembered another owd saying- Like is Attracted to Like.
Old 11-09-2009, 00:19   #163
God Member

Quote:
If memory serves me right, it goes something like this:

'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,
I was carting home a load with manly pride,
When my feet began to stutter, and I fell into the gutter,
And a pig came up and lay down by my side.
Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,
Till a lady, passing by, did chance to say:
"You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..