Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 16:04   #91

Re: who is this Daniel Hannan guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Whilst growing up in the U.K. did you receive any education supplied by the state, or were your parents in the fortunate position to be able chose to send you to private schools, or even more fortunately, had the time to home school you?

My parents, were they stlll living, would get a chuckle out of your inquiry as to whether or not they were people of means. Heck, no.

I attended schools in Clayton-le-Moors, Accrington and Gloucestershire.....none of which were private. Not that that has anything to do with the current state of education in the U.S. There is an excellent book called "The Underground History of American Education," by John Taylor Gatto, a former NY State & NY City Teacher of the Year. His Wall Street Journal article, "I Quit, I Think," has been widely disseminated. If you are interested, I believe you can link to it at I Quit, I Think - John Taylor Gatto Also, if you have the time, pages 3 through 8 are worth reading as well.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2009, 16:12   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
My parents, were they stlll living, would get a chuckle out of your inquiry as to whether or not they were people of means. Heck, no.

I attended schools in Clayton-le-Moors, Accrington and Gloucestershire.....none of which were private. Not that that has anything to do with the current state of education in the U.S. There is an excellent book called "The Underground History of American Education," by John Taylor Gatto, a former NY State & NY City Teacher of the Year. His Wall Street Journal article, "I Quit, I Think," has been widely disseminated. If you are interested, I believe you can link to it at I Quit, I Think - John Taylor Gatto Also, if you have the time, pages 3 through 8 are worth reading as well.
Thanks for answering.

So personally you were happy with the education supplied by the state yourself, it's just that you think those who need it now shouldn't be educated by the state, and should be home schooled, or let their parents find the money to pay for it, in an education market place?

Personally I'm glad we have a system which ensures all our children have access to a good and rounded education. Regardless as to whether their parents are wealthy or poor.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 16:49   #93

Quote:
Thanks for answering.

So personally you were happy with the education supplied by the state yourself, it's just that you think those who need it now shouldn't be educated by the state, and should be home schooled, or let their parents find the money to pay for it, in an education market place?

Personally I'm glad we have a system which ensures all our children have access to a good and rounded education. Regardless as to whether their parents are wealthy or poor.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? I think my earlier posts should have been sufficient for you to grasp the point I am making. I am NOT opposed to LOCAL communities using taxpayer dollars to fund education.....although, to be honest, I prefer education vouchers, (with no strings attached mind you), so that parents may have the autonomy to choose the schools their children attend....whether public or private. What I don't want is the involvement of the federal government in Washington, DC.
Old 01-09-2009, 17:08   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I don't like the look of that.. no one may be refused health care in the USA system but those who cannot afford insurance are given a down graded service... you say there are "low cost" free clinics relying on volunteer doctors...that is not a health care "system" we had that so called "system" here 70yrs ago.. we chose to put in place a real system were no matter rich or poor everyone received the best treatment possible.
You don't think people should rely on the state to provide decent heallh for it's citizens?...that sums up what the rest of the world already know about the American bill of rights..Bull kak of rights.

Apparently, you don't read your own newspapers which, over the years, have chronicled a litany of abuses in the NHS. And government-run healthcare does not provide access to equal care. The British press has described the NHS as a "postcode lottery," as the type of medical care a person receives depends on the neighborhood in which he or she lives. The Fraser Institute's "Waiting Your Turn," concludes that famous and politically connected Canadians are moved to the front of the queue and lower income Canadians have less access to care than their higher income neighbors. Our fellow poster, Eric, hasn't mentioned that, nor the fact that Canadians come to the U.S. in droves every year in order to get the healthcare they need in a timely manner - or, indeed, to get it at all.

Go ahead and scoff at our community clinics and other services.....but aren't such services a product of real community and compassion? I believe so.
Old 01-09-2009, 17:10   #95
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Are you being deliberately obtuse? I think my earlier posts should have been sufficient for you to grasp the point I am making. I am NOT opposed to LOCAL communities using taxpayer dollars to fund education.....although, to be honest, I prefer education vouchers, (with no strings attached mind you), so that parents may have the autonomy to choose the schools their children attend....whether public or private. What I don't want is the involvement of the federal government in Washington, DC.
Our state education policy is decided by central government in Whitehall, even if it's managed at county level, just as it was in your day.

I presume you were satisfied with the education you received here, which was provided by the state, or is it just in your country of residence now that you have such a problem with the concept?

Old 01-09-2009, 17:19   #96

Quote:
Our state education policy is decided by central government in Whitehall, even if it's managed at county level, just as it was in your day.

I presume you were satisfied with the education you received here, which was provided by the state, or is it just in your country of residence now that you have such a problem with the concept?

Back in those days I was too young to understand the ramifications. Besides, as my sister, a retired school teacher, would tell you, things have deteriorated considerably since she entered the profession more than 30 years ago.
Old 01-09-2009, 17:21   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Go ahead and scoff at our community clinics and other services.....but aren't such services a product of real community and compassion? I believe so.
I have friends in the U.S. who can't access the same drugs as I get prescribed here, for Parkinson's disease, because their health insurance won't supply them. They are the lucky ones, the ones with some form of health insurance.

As a consequence many of them suffer unnecessarily, and have a poorer quality of life than myself. Other patients with long term degenerative illnesses have similar experiences.

Health insurance companies are businesses, whose primary motivation is making money.

As flawed as it might be, happily here in Britain, patient's needs still take precedence over shareholder's profits.

You shouldn't always believe everything you read in the press.

Old 01-09-2009, 17:25   #98
God Member

Quote:
Back in those days I was too young to understand the ramifications. Besides, as my sister, a retired school teacher, would tell you, things have deteriorated considerably since she entered the profession more than 30 years ago.
But you can type..you seems to be well educated.. I presume your sister had a state education and became a teacher.so what is your problem with the state paying for education?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 17:25   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Things have changed.

Nowadays you need to be educated to degree level to teach, from nursery classes to sixth form colleges.

Thirty years ago we had the situation of having not only teachers who hadn't been to university, but headteachers too.

Old 01-09-2009, 17:28   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
But you can type..you seems to be well educated.. I presume your sister had a state education and became a teacher.so what is your problem with the state paying for education?
It seems like another case of 'I'm alright Jack'.

The state gave us a good education, but everyone else nowadays should be paying for it in the free market economy market place...if they can afford it.

Old 01-09-2009, 17:40   #101
God Member

I believe it was some dumbo septic who, a few weeks ago, claimed that had Professor Steven Hawking received treatment on the NHS, he would no longer be alive. The Lucasian Professor of Mathematics is, of course, alive today thanks only to the NHS.

Had Mr Michael Jackson received medication and treatment from the NHS, then he would also be alive today. Thank god he didn't.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 17:42   #102
God Member

Quote:

The state gave us a good education, but everyone else nowadays should be paying for it in the free market economy market place...if they can afford it.
That isn't what bullseyebarb is saying Sounds to me like he is saying that it should be communities that setup schools independently of the state with taxpayers money. Sorry if this isn't what you meant bullseyebarb but to me it sounded like that.
Old 01-09-2009, 17:45   #103
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I believe it was some dumbo septic who, a few weeks ago, claimed that had Professor Steven Hawking received treatment on the NHS, he would no longer be alive. The Lucasian Professor of Mathematics is, of course, alive today thanks only to the NHS.

Had Mr Michael Jackson received medication and treatment from the NHS, then he would also be alive today. Thank god he didn't.
Occasionally, only occasionally mind, you make me laugh out loud.

Very funny.

If laughter's the best medecine, you've just been promoted from a bed pan carrier.

Old 01-09-2009, 17:46   #104
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
That isn't what bullseyebarb is saying Sounds to me like he is saying that it should be communities that setup schools independently of the state with taxpayers money. Sorry if this isn't what you meant bullseyebarb but to me it sounded like that.
He?

Sounds like you've just flunked biology.

Old 01-09-2009, 17:52   #105
God Member

Quote:
If laughter's the best medecine, you've just been promoted from a bed pan carrier.

It would appear that you have not yet been informed that I am the resident Professor of Mental Health and Director of the Accy Web cerebal improvement programme.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..