Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 17:52   #106
God Member

Re: who is this Daniel Hannan guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
He?

Sounds like you've just flunked biology.
I made a typo - great that you've had to sink to that instead of debating the point though.
Old 01-09-2009, 17:54   #107
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
That isn't what bullseyebarb is saying Sounds to me like he is saying that it should be communities that setup schools independently of the state with taxpayers money. Sorry if this isn't what you meant bullseyebarb but to me it sounded like that.
So we have Bullseyebarb believing everything in the press about the N.H.S.'s care being dependent on your postcode, yet she's suggesting a similar situation for education. With the quality of education being down to total luck, as to whether the community schools you happen to live near are good or not, rather than a universal education policy set by central government.

I know which system I think is preferable.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 17:56   #108

Quote:
I made a typo - great that you've had to sink to that instead of debating the point though.
Surely you have a sense of humour Andrew?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 17:58   #109
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Typo, or you not being able to distinguish gender, are both causes for mirth, either in or out of a debate.

You're really going to have to toughen up, if like you say you want to be a ploitican, or at least hope I'm not there to heckle you.

Old 01-09-2009, 17:58   #110
God Member

Quote:
So we have Bullseyebarb believing everything in the press about the N.H.S.'s care being dependent on your postcode, yet she's suggesting a similar situation for education. With the quality of education being down to total luck, as to whether the community schools you happen to live near are good or not, rather than a universal education policy set by central government.

I know which system I think is preferable.
We have a postcode lottery for education here even if it we do have a 'universal education policy'.
Old 01-09-2009, 17:59   #111
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
It would appear that you have not yet been informed that I am the resident Professor of Mental Health and Director of the Accy Web cerebal improvement programme.
big title for someone who sells out of date cheese chedders up Shadwell
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 18:03   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We have a postcode lottery for education here even if it we do have a 'universal education policy'.
...and how will the Conservatives address this issue, if it is true, if they are elected?

Old 01-09-2009, 18:42   #113

Quote:
That isn't what bullseyebarb is saying Sounds to me like he is saying that it should be communities that setup schools independently of the state with taxpayers money. Sorry if this isn't what you meant bullseyebarb but to me it sounded like that.

Unlike others on this thread you have grasped the gist of it. In actuality, we do fund local schools with property taxes. The biggest percentage of my annual property tax bill is for education. As long as we are spending that kind of dough, I want decisions regarding education to be made here within the community and not by some DC bureaucrat. Apparently, that's just too hard for some people to understand.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 18:53   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Unlike others on this thread you have grasped the gist of it. In actuality, we do fund local schools with property taxes. The biggest percentage of my annual property tax bill is for education. As long as we are spending that kind of dough, I want decisions regarding education to be made here within the community and not by some DC bureaucrat. Apparently, that's just too hard for some people to understand.
Whilst I understand what you are saying I do not have to agree with it.

I take it that the area that you live in is relatively affluent and the schools can be fully funded from your property taxes. But what happens in areas where there is insufficient income form the property taxes to fund education to the same level as in your town? Do the children in those areas receive a lower standard of education? If they do , are you advocating this as being an acceptable state of affair?

Out of interest which school in Clayton did you attend?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 18:53   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
In actuality, we do fund local schools with property taxes. The biggest percentage of my annual property tax bill is for education.
You have to pay taxes on your bunker?

That's outrageous.

Old 01-09-2009, 19:03   #116

Quote:
I have friends in the U.S. who can't access the same drugs as I get prescribed here, for Parkinson's disease, because their health insurance won't supply them. They are the lucky ones, the ones with some form of health insurance.

As a consequence many of them suffer unnecessarily, and have a poorer quality of life than myself. Other patients with long term degenerative illnesses have similar experiences.

Health insurance companies are businesses, whose primary motivation is making money.

As flawed as it might be, happily here in Britain, patient's needs still take precedence over shareholder's profits.

You shouldn't always believe everything you read in the press.

You can't insure health. Insurance is meant to provide a cushion against the unexpected and catastrophic. As I have previously stated, the whole nature of insurance changes and is no longer viable when government steps in and begins mandating things. There are much better ways of handling whatever problems we have.

I don't have to believe everything I read in the press. I've visited some of your hospitals and clinics. That's why I always carry medical evacuation insurance when I travel abroad.
Old 01-09-2009, 19:08   #117
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You can't insure health. Insurance is meant to provide a cushion against the unexpected and catastrophic. As I have previously stated, the whole nature of insurance changes and is no longer viable when government steps in and begins mandating things. There are much better ways of handling whatever problems we have.

I don't have to believe everything I read in the press. I've visited some of your hospitals and clinics. That's why I always carry medical evacuation insurance when I travel abroad.
...yes, health insurance is mainly concerned with profit, rather than providing good health care.

Old 01-09-2009, 19:19   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Whilst I understand what you are saying I do not have to agree with it.

I take it that the area that you live in is relatively affluent and the schools can be fully funded from your property taxes. But what happens in areas where there is insufficient income form the property taxes to fund education to the same level as in your town? Do the children in those areas receive a lower standard of education? If they do , are you advocating this as being an acceptable state of affair?

Out of interest which school in Clayton did you attend?

Money alone is not a reliable indicator of the kind of education children receive. It is not uncommon to find places with the least expenditure per student having far better results than others who spend vastly more. The worst schools and scholastic records are often in inner cities where huge sums are spent with little to show for it.

St. James'. Later, St. John's in Accrington.
Old 01-09-2009, 19:28   #119
God Member

Quote:
Money alone is not a reliable indicator of the kind of education children receive. It is not uncommon to find places with the least expenditure per student having far better results than others who spend vastly more. The worst schools and scholastic records are often in inner cities where huge sums are spent with little to show for it.

St. James'. Later, St. John's in Accrington.
I reckon we know that already..but what is your alternative..fund the schools who gain the bset results and leave the rest to go futher into ruin?.. I don't think there is so much of a divide between the education system in America and here.. but I disagree on what seems to be your attitude to comprehensive education in Britain.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 19:31   #120
Give, give, give member

What about wars and defence Bullseyebarb?

Are you against a centralised state run national defence policy, or would that be better off left to free market economics, at a localised level?

Let's hope the people in the neighbouring bunker aren't able to afford bigger weaponry than you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..