Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 13:44   #1

Who should I vote for and why

Here in my consistency in East Yorkshire we have a clown of a Conservative MP.I have voted Labour all my life and my old Dad would turn in his grave if I chaged now that I am 78.The Labour candidate has no chance and will likely lose his deposit.. so my vote will be wasted.
Do I vote Lib Dem in order to keep the aforementioned clown out? He has a fair chance of winning and keeping the Tory out.
What do you suggest?
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-05-2010, 14:50   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Who should I vote for and why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
Here in my consistency in East Yorkshire we have a clown of a Conservative MP.I have voted Labour all my life and my old Dad would turn in his grave if I changed now that I am 78.The Labour candidate has no chance and will likely lose his deposit.. so my vote will be wasted.
Do I vote Lib Dem in order to keep the aforementioned clown out? He has a fair chance of winning and keeping the Tory out.
What do you suggest?
Do what I did Jim register a no vote, I couldn't support the Tory in Hyndburn nor could I support anybody else either
Old 05-05-2010, 16:07   #3
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Here in my consistency in East Yorkshire we have a clown of a Conservative MP.I have voted Labour all my life and my old Dad would turn in his grave if I chaged now that I am 78.The Labour candidate has no chance and will likely lose his deposit.. so my vote will be wasted.
What do you suggest?
Mr Procter, as I suggest to everyone, vote with your heart and what you feel will provide the best outcome for your area.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 16:35   #4
God Member

I think I'll vote for anybody who has canvassed my vote at home or at the shop. anybody got any invisible ink ?
Old 05-05-2010, 17:23   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I think I'll vote for anybody who has canvassed my vote at home or at the shop. anybody got any invisible ink ?
Sama as here and there are twenty nine flats in the complex. You would think it would be worth a visit
Old 05-05-2010, 17:35   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

If you're honest with yourself, you say Labour haven't a chance, so they're a no, the Conservative is a Clown so no, you make no comment about the Lib-Dems ! are you happy with their ideas ? if so yes, if not no, on balance you'll probably come back with a no.

So as Jaysay says put a big old cross in the NO box ! you've still voted & had your say & I believe that if more people do this as opposed to voting for another party out of protest, a truer picture of the populaces views on politics & politicians will be reflected. Then maybe, just maybe those who manage to wheedle their way into power, might just start to think. Hard to comprehend I know, but perhaps ???
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 18:19   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
If you're honest with yourself, you say Labour haven't a chance, so they're a no, the Conservative is a Clown so no, you make no comment about the Lib-Dems ! are you happy with their ideas ? if so yes, if not no, on balance you'll probably come back with a no.

So as Jaysay says put a big old cross in the NO box ! you've still voted & had your say & I believe that if more people do this as opposed to voting for another party out of protest, a truer picture of the populaces views on politics & politicians will be reflected. Then maybe, just maybe those who manage to wheedle their way into power, might just start to think. Hard to comprehend I know, but perhaps ???
I don't believe a spoiled ballot paper really gets through the Politicians skulls as "no vote" . Think a better solution is to have a "none of the above" box on the ballot paper .... if 'none of the above' gets the most votes a new election is called with a new slate of candidates, expensive ...yes , but the district/area gets an elected leader with a proper mandate
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 18:23   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I don't believe a spoiled ballot paper really gets through the Politicians skulls as "no vote" . Think a better solution is to have a "none of the above" box on the ballot paper .... if 'none of the above' gets the most votes a new election is called with a new slate of candidates, expensive ...yes , but the district/area gets an elected leader with a proper mandate

The 'none of the above' party would be in power if it gets about 30% of the vote. democracy in this country means that whoever 60 odd % of the country don't want gets to run it
Old 05-05-2010, 18:33   #9
God Member

i know naff all about politics but what i do know is ..... if you don't know who to vote for but don't want Conservatives to get in, DON'T vote for the Lib Dems, this will take a vote off Labour and end up with Conservatives getting in anyway.....ok i know that was like me telling you to vote Labour but it wasn't, it's logical really if you think about it

i know what i mean in my head
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 19:47   #10
God Member

Quote:
What do you suggest?
Vote according to your beliefs and principles; forget about the strategic value of voting. The process is not about "politics"; it's about your right to express yourself through your vote. And even in these shallow, selfish, and unpatriotic times, think of how much blood has been spilled, how many sacrifices have been made so that you have the right to vote.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 20:16   #11
Beacon of light

If voting really changed anything, they would stop us from doing it.

I am so disillusioned by the politicos.......they don't listen to what the electorate want.......they disregard the issues that worry the electorate( Mr Brown's foot in the mouth showed that all too clearly) they take us for mugs.......thinking that they can tell us what they think we want to hear......they lie, steal from the public purse.......and then want to be known as 'honourable' members.

I do not know the answer to this question, because in my eyes they are all as bad as each other.........we need a revolution.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 20:23   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If voting really changed anything, they would stop us from doing it.

I am so disillusioned by the politicos.......they don't listen to what the electorate want.......they disregard the issues that worry the electorate( Mr Brown's foot in the mouth showed that all too clearly) they take us for mugs.......thinking that they can tell us what they think we want to hear......they lie, steal from the public purse.......and then want to be known as 'honourable' members.

I do not know the answer to this question, because in my eyes they are all as bad as each other.........we need a revolution.
Right on the money, Margaret. Onwards to the barricades!
Old 05-05-2010, 20:29   #13
Beacon of light

I'm right behind you Mr H.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 20:45   #14
God Member

Vote for the party that you believe in. Don't for one minute get sucked into the lies about tactical voting, it's wrong and it's not the reason we got the vote for.

A vote is a priviledge, it's important and it's not to be wasted on trying to keep the other guy out. Use it wisely and hope that everyone in the country does the same.

Just a final word on the LibDem vote - if you do want to vote for them, then do it. If anyone else tries to get you to vote for someone else to keep someone else out, then it's a foolish thing. LibDems may not get the majority seats but if people vote for them, they may get the most votes up and down the country and ultimately may be able to force in some voting reform. If your vote is misused then no one will ever know.

It's never a wasted vote.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 21:05   #15

I haven't had anyone canvassing at my door yet??????? They must not be bothered about my vote
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..