Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 17:16   #1
God Member

Widespread Electoral Fraud

Did anyone read the headlines in todays Times, and the investigative article that followed it? It's all about widespread electoral fraud amongst the Asian Community in Lancs & Yorks for tomorrow's European/council elections. What opinions, if any, do you have on this practice?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-06-2004, 17:24   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Widespread Electoral Fraud

From what you have described.............. I have VERY strong views but must read It before I start screaming blue murder...........
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 17:32   #3
God Member

I'm not quite sure to what extent this is being reported back in Lancashire at the moment.....certainly, the Evening Telegraph website was'nt mentioning it on it's lunchtime update....is there some sort of censorship going on up there? If so, why?
Old 09-06-2004, 18:07   #4
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

There was something mentioned on the radio last week. It was on a Century fm news bulletin. Unfortunately, I only heard half of it, due to being on a call out at the time..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 18:15   #5
God Member

The BBC had some mention of it on Breakfast news, as did Radio Three, but not too many specifics. I haven't seen the news yet this evening.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 20:55   #6
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

This does not surprise me at all, the whole postal voting system was always going to be open to this sort of thing and was expected from the Asian comminity to keep the BMP out, true democracy in Lancashire again, I'II leave it at that before I get into trouble again !!!

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 22:54   #7
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Something I've noticed Tealeaf, when I first found the AccyWeb you seemed to be the bad boy of the forum but recently on certain subjects like this thread for instance you seem to be loading the barrel and letting other people fire the gun, have you got an opinion on this "alleged" electoral fraud ?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 22:56   #8
Senior Member+

Why can certain groups of people get away with anything (almost) and people are to scared to put things straight ????????????????????????

If I break the law I expect to be punished for it.............!!!!!!!!!!!

Not for people to say "he is a bit overweight lets not upset him" "just let it go" never in a month of sundays
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:31   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

There was something on the northwest news last night. Oldham was mentioned a couple of times, so there may be some sort of ploy to prevent BNP getting re-elected there. Also several by proxy votes are being investigated. The police are looking into it, and the news person reported that charges will be brought against anybody found acting fraudulently.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:15   #10
God Member

It appears to be widespread. In Birmingham a postman was approached and asked to sell the contents of his bag full of ballot papers for £500. in Bradfors and Burnley there are reports of Asians going round door to door and asking for Ballot papers.

You only have to look at how they behave in Pakistan and India at election time to know that they have little respect for fair play. The death toll during elections is frightening. How long will it be before the same thing happens here?
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:12   #11

The Libdem candidate was involved (allegedly). Again, when will the authorities realise that this sort of behaviour is playing straight into the hands of the BNP (not authorities fault directly but they did chose to have postal voting). Rochdale, Manchester, Oldham, Bradford and Burnley were the places mentioned - coincidence anyone?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:32   #12
God Member

The Asian community wouldn't get themselves involved in any subterfuge or skulduggery would they?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 13:00   #13
God Member

I just been to vote down here in the East End. Talk about a throwback to rotten boroughs, intimidation and bought votes:

1) No policeman on duty in the polling station.

2) No private polling booths (i.e. cubicles with a curtain and guaranteed privacy) - just triangular shelves to rest your paper on.

3) Ballot papers face open (not folded) as they're placed, face upwards, in the ballot box (for computerised counting)

4) 4 women in Hajibs (no spoken english, never mind written) gathered round one asian male as he instructed them - in Bengali - on what to do.

5) 1 white, 1 west Indian, 2 Asian tellers completely ignoring this farrago.

So I placed my cross against the you-know-who for everyone to see, and slid it in the box. (not my original intention, but I was mad)
Old 10-06-2004, 13:09   #14
Junior Member+

Hmmm... (I try to avoid talking about politics to people as they can get easily offended but seeing as though it is a forum.....)

I have got to agree with bagpuss, quite predicatable of the Asian Community to try to keep the BNP out. Considering that only 1 in 20 people have voted in the European Elections they must be quite passioniate politically in Burnley.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 22:50   #15

The powers that be should stop trying to make things more efficient. The polling system has worked well for decades and any infirm, elderly or absent ppl have the option of a postal vote. Anyone with an ounce (sorry gram) of common sense could have seen that mass postal voting was open to abuse. I heard yesterday that ballot papers were being offered for sale on e bay. Whether thats true or not I don't know but these days nothing would surprise me!

As for the asians voting on mass against the BNP, can you blame them? No matter what your views are on immigration, ethnic minorities, racism and multicultural society it is quite clear that they will always vote to keep out a party that so openly campaigns against them.

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..