Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2015, 20:03   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: will it happen or not ...

Oh yes there will be a referendum, it will however be worded in a manner that makes you feel silly if you don't vote the way they want you to.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-05-2015, 20:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
Cameron says we will get a EU referendum in 2 years

do we think it will happen
I'm sure it will.

I'm also sure that the EU will cobble together a series of sweeteners that will enable Cameron to come back from Brussels waving a piece of paper saying he's got the concessions he wanted.

The Establishment machine will then roll into action. We'll be recommended to vote to stay in the EU, and the press bandwagon will begin brainwashing the Great British public into being pro Europe.

The only voices of dissent will be from UKIP, a few right wing Tory MPs and the Daily Express. They will be steam-rollered.

George Osborne is well known to be a friend of big business. I can't believe that big business will allow George and call-me-Dave to take us out of the EU.
Less likes this.
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 20:16   #18
Beacon of light

I think you are right on all points.....but if the electorate voted to pull out then there is absolutely no obligation legal or otherwise for David Cameron to take one jot of notice of what the electorate wants.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 20:25   #19
Beacon of light

[QUOTE=Guinness;1140506]Agree in principle about trusting the Torys but even a PM can only act on information supplied to him at the time....
[/ QUOTE]

That is the premise that we all make decisions on.....the information available at the time.
During the run up to the general election the political leaders all fudged issues, side stepped questions, waffled around discussions.....giving very little relevant information that would allow us to make informed choices on what is best for the country.
I loathe the patriarchal attitude of politicians.....and the more I see of political broadcasts and discussions the less I trust those who govern.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 08-05-2015, 21:00   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1140512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Agree in principle about trusting the Torys but even a PM can only act on information supplied to him at the time....
[/ QUOTE]

That is the premise that we all make decisions on.....the information available at the time.
During the run up to the general election the political leaders all fudged issues, side stepped questions, waffled around discussions.....giving very little relevant information that would allow us to make informed choices on what is best for the country.
I loathe the patriarchal attitude of politicians.....and the more I see of political broadcasts and discussions the less I trust those who govern.
Worse still is the attitude of our M.P. I'm telling you what is right, how dare you think I'm wrong.

With most things he seems reasonable, but don't ever tell him he's wrong he doesn't like it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 22:45   #21
God Member

[QUOTE=Less;1140517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Worse still is the attitude of our M.P. I'm telling you what is right, how dare you think I'm wrong.

With most things he seems reasonable, but don't ever tell him he's wrong he doesn't like it.
dont forget most of us are too thick to understand the complexity of the EU

i could look up his bio on Wikipedia but i think its pretty safe to assume he dosnt have any qualification or past work history that would make his opinion any better than anyone elses.

thankfully the decision is out of his and his parties hands although it remains to be seen if Cameron will keep his word

the best way to shut anti EU people up is to have a referendum so that if a vote comes in saying to stay in the EU we have to accept the democratic result.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 08-05-2015 at 22:49.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:47   #22
Beacon of light

You mean that we accept duplicity and skullduggery doesn't happen in politics?
Why do we have Expensive MP's when much of the legislation is directed at us from unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.
Bureaucrats who have no desires to see the UK prosper and do well....they only want to suck money from our pockets and have absolutely no accountability for what they do.

As for those who think that leaving this corrupt club will be the death of business.....we traded with the world long before the EU......the EU buys far less from Britain in goods and services than the rest of the world right now.....we would be in pocket for the money we would no longer have to contribute.....and we would be able to kick out the Eastern European criminals who find rich pickings and soft justice in this country....jail here is like a holiday camp to them.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:37   #23
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

[QUOTE=accyman;1140525]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
we have to accept the democratic result.
That is, unless you're a wee ginger tom!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:45   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Oh it will happen, Thing is Cameron got back in wi more seats, cos he was the one that promised a referendum simple as. Labour were too stupid to see that fact. The SNP bull was just a blag in my view,but it certainly helped the Tory cause.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:53   #25
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Less;1140517]
Quote:

Well, he is more intelligent and worldly wise than 95% of us
Old 09-05-2015, 09:55   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
As for those who think that leaving this corrupt club will be the death of business.....we traded with the world long before the EU......the EU buys far less from Britain in goods and services than the rest of the world right now.....we would be in pocket for the money we would no longer have to contribute.....and we would be able to kick out the Eastern European criminals who find rich pickings and soft justice in this country....jail here is like a holiday camp to them.
The export figures to the EU are fudged as they include shipments that go to continental ports for onward shipment to non-EU countries.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:16   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=Barrie Yates;1140537]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Well, he is more intelligent and worldly wise than 95% of us
Well as 9154 out of 42887 who voted in Hyndburn, actually voted UKIP, he may just want to ponder awhile on that statement? cos if Labour refuse to wake up, then the UKIP support will only carry on increasing. They got another 5 years to smell the coffee, God help em if they refuse.

Last edited by cashman; 09-05-2015 at 10:18.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:38   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
......unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.....
Not really true is it? All voted on by the MEP's we voted in. I don't agree with it though
Old 09-05-2015, 11:02   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Not really true is it? All voted on by the MEP's we voted in. I don't agree with it though
The laws and rules are made by the European Council and the European Commission(that's the bureaucrats).
The MEPs aren't involved in deciding or drafting them, they merely vote them in to make it official when they've been presented to them.
That's democracy, EU style.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:14   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
the head of the EU isnt elected though so in effect we are been ruled by a dictatorship

nigel farage may have been a bit of a berk but he sure did ask some uncomfortable questions as a Euro Mp including asking the head of the EU who he was because he had no recollection of voting for him or had any idea who he was before he became the head of the EU

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..