Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2011, 10:26   #1
Resting in Peace

Will they never learn

BBC News - Ribble estuary cocklers: Another five rescued

Will people never learn. Seems people have forgotten the Chinese Cocklers who lost there lives in Morecambe bay a few years ago. over the last couple of weeks its been on the local news at life boats have been called out numerous times to rescue people getting into difficulties cockling near Lytham-St-Ann's, will they never learn
Old 27-10-2011, 11:07   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Will they never learn

They probably have more chance of learning,if the coastguards ignored em, they are well aware of the dangers, its there choice, sod em i say.
Old 27-10-2011, 11:33   #3
Senior Member+

The cocklers should certainly be charged the full cost plus a bit more of the lifeboat going to rescue them.

Just one question came to my mind yesterday. Who exactly is it that eats cockles? I think I've managed to get to the ripe old age I am by not eating a single cockle.

Are they a delicacy somewhere?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 11:47   #4
I am Banned

Groove believes that the cockle pickers earn 400 pund a day, but believes a number of these are illegal immigrants working und duress from gangsters.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 11:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Groove believes that the cockle pickers earn 400 pund a day, but believes a number of these are illegal immigrants working und duress from gangsters.
Just to advise Groove since the cockle pickers died some years ago the industry as a whole has been tightened to employ people in the food industry you need to have a "Gangmaster licence" which many of the good recruitment companies have. to say they earn £400 a day is an exaggeration, the government at the time introduce the Gangmaster licence and it costs to have one of these and they are not cheap.

There is industry in cockle picking and it is usually farmed but there are also cockle pickers in this estuary doing a official worthwhile job.
Whittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 12:08   #6
JFT96

Groove, it seems has not learnt anything. Despite his apology he still makes stupid remarks and childish and offensive jokes

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 12:09   #7
JFT96

£400.00 per day.... That's quite a lot. I would have thought the majority make a awful lot less. Or most of us would be out their ourselves

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 17:48   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
The cocklers should certainly be charged the full cost plus a bit more of the lifeboat going to rescue them.

Just one question came to my mind yesterday. Who exactly is it that eats cockles? I think I've managed to get to the ripe old age I am by not eating a single cockle.

They're not on my menu either gynn, they're one of the things I'm allergic too
Old 27-10-2011, 22:43   #9
God Member

cmonstanley thinks there will be many deaths because big bad tories are shutting down too many coastguard stations
Old 28-10-2011, 09:25   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
cmonstanley thinks there will be many deaths because big bad tories are shutting down too many coastguard stations
There probably will be some deaths, but to say yeh think "many" cos of the big bad tories, is a great example of people like you driving folk towards voting fer those scumbags, doubt though if yeh will ever learn.
Old 31-10-2011, 23:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

Well I eat cockles, as well as mussels, so I guess I am exactly it!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:07   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Well I eat cockles, as well as mussels, so I guess I am exactly it!
Bet your mate in your avatar likes um too Michael
Old 01-11-2011, 10:28   #13
Give, give, give member

Contrary to public belief, winkle pickers aren't the most suitable footwear, for working on Morecambe Bay's ever shifting sands.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 13:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Bet your mate in your avatar likes um too Michael
He does, the greedy devil!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..