Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2008, 14:22   #1

William Wodruff

I saw in the Times Obituaries today that William Woodruff has died aged 92.He is best remembered in these parts as the author of The Road To Nab End. It is all about his days in Blackburn during the !920s and 1930s. I can recommend it as a wonderful tale of a small boys upbringing among the squalor and deprivation of the Depression in Blackburn Anyone who lived during these years will remember his story as their story. What happened to him happened to all of us.The scruffy back streets no work no wages tell a story that we all remember.If you feel nostalgic for the Old Days give this book a read. You will not be disappointed I can guarantee it
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2008, 14:32   #2
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: William Wodruff

I have this book and the sequel, "Beyond Nab End". Not quite the same as everyone else at that time - after getting a scholarship to Oxford in 1936 he became a professor of History at various universities around the world.
Old 25-09-2008, 15:40   #3
God Member

I read both his books and enjoyed them....one of my friends lives in a 100 year old house in the area that he writes about and I find it fascinating to hear about those days.

R.I.P William.
Old 25-09-2008, 17:43   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

Yes, I should have added that the 2 bographical books are very well written and very evocative. Both have been serialised and read on Radio 4 in the past.
Old 25-09-2008, 21:17   #5

I found both his books riveting to read, I couldn't put them down. It was quite remarkable that he got a scholarship to Oxford and became a history professor.

RIP William Woodruff
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 11:19   #6
God Member

It's a funny old world. Woodruff was born in Blackburn and as a young man moved to London's East End. Just like me. Maybe I should write a book.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 11:45   #7

I don't read many book's but after hearing about them on Accy Web I went out and bought the first. I could not put it down, and I immediately went out and got the sequel.
both books have done the rounds over here, with many Expats and they all liked them.

RIP William Woodruff
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 13:59   #8

He also wrote Shadows of Glory, which was fiction/autobiographical I think.

Maybe not as good as his too earlier books but still very moving.
It tells of the reminisances of an ex Oxford student whos times at the university are disturbed by the War. It goes on to relate what happens to his group of friends and himself.

Woodfruff was an excellent wordsmith. R.I.P.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 15:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
He also wrote Shadows of Glory, which was fiction/autobiographical I think.

Maybe not as good as his too earlier books but still very moving.
It tells of the reminisances of an ex Oxford student whos times at the university are disturbed by the War. It goes on to relate what happens to his group of friends and himself.

Woodfruff was an excellent wordsmith. R.I.P.

Thanks for the info about Shadows of Glory.... both Nab End books gave me a great deal of entertainment....
Who could forget the wakes week at Blackpool?
Solid Gold.
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 15:49   #10

This is a link to his website
William Woodruff - <u>Biography

His academic acheivments were amazing, when you consider he left school at 13. He really is an inspiration.

It also appears he wrote another novel -Vessel of Sadness- about his experiences in WW11, this is available on both Play.com and Amazon. I am just ordered it from Play.

Last edited by claytonender; 26-09-2008 at 15:51.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 19:22   #11

William Woodruff - Telegraph
for an obituary and photo
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..