Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2011, 16:44   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Willow Mount W.M.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I think personal comments only undermine your case by the way. I have always said their is a lack of credible or coherent argument from the right.

I am proud to have voted to defend workers rights and environmental legislation (which is what this was all about if you followed it closely). It is always disappointing when working people cross over to the dark side, persuaded to support the arguments of the Daily Mail / Tories / Fat Cats but that is something you have to live with.
A touch condescending, perhaps?

So the right lack credible or coherent argument and are on the dark side?
A touch of extremism, perhaps?
Can't think why your not in power, must be all those disappointing working people. It must be difficult living with that.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2011, 17:28   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Was the Catholic club not a WMC or was that private
Private Greeny
Old 29-12-2011, 17:32   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
A touch condescending, perhaps?

So the right lack credible or coherent argument and are on the dark side?
A touch of extremism, perhaps?
Can't think why your not in power, must be all those disappointing working people. It must be difficult living with that.
He forgets Gordon, that people sample what he and his ilk do when holding the reigns of power, there's no need to google successful Labour Governments as there has never been any record of one
Old 29-12-2011, 17:51   #34

straits club is that still going??
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 18:31   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob249 View Post
Was last year now i dont know.
Old 29-12-2011, 18:59   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob249 View Post
Ya its the only wmc left in Ossy now Rob
Old 29-12-2011, 19:20   #37
Senior Member+

Back in the 1990s there was a lot of pressure on HBC to grant rate relief to WMCs, and the three problems we kept coming up against were:-

1. We could never find examples of other Councils up and down the country who granted such relief.
2. The constitution of the Clubs tended to treat women as second class citizens.
3. Too many clubs were being run for the benefit of committee men, not the members.

I remember visiting one club that appplied for rate relief, only to find a culture of committee men helping themselves to drinks without going near the till.

So its not ALL about smoking bans and price increases. I'm afraid the dishonesty of the few has probably, in the long term, destroyed the enjoyment of the many.

And take that from someone who visited most Hyndburn WMCs in the 1990s.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 09:09   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Back in the 1990s there was a lot of pressure on HBC to grant rate relief to WMCs, and the three problems we kept coming up against were:-

1. We could never find examples of other Councils up and down the country who granted such relief.
2. The constitution of the Clubs tended to treat women as second class citizens.
3. Too many clubs were being run for the benefit of committee men, not the members.

I remember visiting one club that applied for rate relief, only to find a culture of committee men helping themselves to drinks without going near the till.

So its not ALL about smoking bans and price increases. I'm afraid the dishonesty of the few has probably, in the long term, destroyed the enjoyment of the many.

And take that from someone who visited most Hyndburn WMCs in the 1990s.
I can remember that going on gynn, there was lots of talk about it at the time, I can remember talking to a gentleman called Peter Cool (who is sadly no longer with us) regarding the Tampits club and their attempts to get rate relief, Peter was passionate about keeping the club going, sadly his attempts failed
Old 30-12-2011, 22:05   #39
God Member

Willow Mount was one of the best clubs but I'm talking way back 70's.
Used to go there with the mum and dad of my ex Fri or Sat night. the dad would drink 12 to 14 pints plus the booze he bought his wife, the bingo, and used to tip "the turn"...how much would that cost today?.. the myth of it all being down to the smoking ban is long gone.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 22:11   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Willow Mount was one of the best clubs but I'm talking way back 70's.
Used to go there with the mum and dad of my ex Fri or Sat night. the dad would drink 12 to 14 pints plus the booze he bought his wife, the bingo, and used to tip "the turn"...how much would that cost today?.. the myth of it all being down to the smoking ban is long gone.
Aint all down to the ban, that was just the final nail, to my mind the "First" nail was the advent of sodding Bingo, many young uns used to call in clubs early doors fer a game of snooker,few bob in bandits etc, many including me stopped goin in em when that started, to me that was future generations lost fer ever.
Old 30-12-2011, 22:27   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Aint all down to the ban, that was just the final nail, to my mind the "First" nail was the advent of sodding Bingo, many young uns used to call in clubs early doors fer a game of snooker,few bob in bandits etc, many including me stopped goin in em when that started, to me that was future generations lost fer ever.
But the WMC weren't really about nipping in for a game of snooker.. they were places for people to spend the whole night ..bingo, the turns, meeting friends even if you had worked with them all week..that's what has gone.
Old 30-12-2011, 22:55   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
But the WMC weren't really about nipping in for a game of snooker.. they were places for people to spend the whole night ..bingo, the turns, meeting friends even if you had worked with them all week..that's what has gone.
nah mancie before yer time, many used to pop in fer couple of hours game,few pints,etc before hitting the town, many of those lost,may well have frequented WMCs far more when they got older, they were lost forever in many cases.Generation may well have been lost?

Last edited by cashman; 30-12-2011 at 23:03.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 23:44   #43
God Member

Well i'd say most of the people that did use the popular WMC in the past were the more mature working class..I mean they were the ones that provided the income for the clubs.. in them days you had to make a small payment to be part of the WMC...I don't think the young un's have ever been into working mens clubs.
I lay it down to the lack of blokes and women of let's say over 40 yrs old that have jacked in the night out at the local club because there is nowt down there no more.

Last edited by Mancie; 30-12-2011 at 23:47.
Old 31-12-2011, 08:54   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nah mancie before yer time, many used to pop in fer couple of hours game,few pints,etc before hitting the town, many of those lost,may well have frequented WMCs far more when they got older, they were lost forever in many cases.Generation may well have been lost?
Quote:
Well i'd say most of the people that did use the popular WMC in the past were the more mature working class..I mean they were the ones that provided the income for the clubs.. in them days you had to make a small payment to be part of the WMC...I don't think the young un's have ever been into working mens clubs.
I lay it down to the lack of blokes and women of let's say over 40 yrs old that have jacked in the night out at the local club because there is nowt down there no more.
I agree most were oer 40, n yeh still today pay yer subs annually, but i'm saying many of those younger uns that did use em, in our case 3/4 times a week, never returned.ask yerself why?
Old 03-01-2012, 21:29   #45
God Member

Good to see a local councillor with his finger on the pulse, his comments about the club closing in the LT

Quote:
Ward councillor Allah Dad said the club was ‘well used’ and at the ‘centre of the community’
That will be why it's closing then

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..