Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 15:33   #1
Resident Waffler

Willow's tangent thread - Hemp

This thread is a tangent from the "aaargh it's drugs!/ oh no it isn't" subject elsewhere which has now been done to death.

Somebody mentioned hemp seeds being on sale on Accy market and there's the misconception that hemp=cannabis=drugs. I didn't know what the druggy ingredient in the drug was until someone mentioned it and so I started to do a bit of a Google of hemp in general and discovered some interesting things.

For instance in 1971 growing hemp of any variety in this country became illegal, even if the hemp you grew couldn't be used as a drug. That's a bit like banning the growing of all poppies in gardens because some poppies contain opium.

The ban wasn't lifted until 1993. In those 22 years thousands of trees have been chopped down to make paper when hemp could have been used instead and it is a fast growing easily renewable crop unlike trees. Those trees could have been combatting the greenhouse gasses which have led to global warming! So a knee-jerk reaction to the misuse of one strain of a crop could have doomed the planet! (Ok, I know I'm exaggerating. )

Hemp can also be used to produce material from which we can make clothing and other household items. It can also be used to make insulating materials in the building industry and doesn't have polution problems associated with it.

That's before you even get to the obvious things like canvas bags and rope.

Then there is hemp oil which can be used in cosmetics and soaps/shampoos etc. I have a tin with a hemp leaf logo on it which came from The Body Shop and contained a lovely dark green soap and some body lotion. Maybe somebody should complain that the Body Shop sells drug related items! - OK, I won't go there!

I found it quite amazing that for 22 years farmers could be criminalised for growing such a useful crop which poses no danger at all to anyone.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2008, 16:08   #2
God Member

Re: Willow's tangent thread - Hemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Then there is hemp oil which can be used in cosmetics and soaps/shampoos etc. I have a tin with a hemp leaf logo on it which came from The Body Shop and contained a lovely dark green soap and some body lotion. Maybe somebody should complain that the Body Shop sells drug related items! - OK, I won't go there!
We had some of The Body Shop Hemp stuff and it was very good, smelt great..! and i do know that it is contained in more things than you think.....
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 16:11   #3
Resident Waffler

I've just found out they do ecological nappies with hemp inserts! Oooh that's getting them young isn't it?

Old 05-09-2008, 16:11   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
We had some of The Body Shop Hemp stuff and it was very good, smelt great..! and i do know that it is contained in more things than you think.....
Probably not a good idea to try and smoke it tho....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 17:07   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post

lol i have the hemp handcream and the hemp lip balm from The Body Shop, the handcream is gorgeous, it feels like silk on your hands
Old 05-09-2008, 17:08   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
Probably not a good idea to try and smoke it tho....
Ahhhh that explains why i could`nt light it then........................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 17:23   #7
Beacon of light

I have used hemp oil on my very dry and sore hands.......and found it to be very effective.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 17:28   #8
God Member

Hemp has the chemical which which causes the effect on the brain/mood that its cousin cannabis does, but in amounts so small that the effect is unnoticeable.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 17:40   #9
God Member

I used to use hemp seed for fishing, it had to be boiled in bicarb until the seeds split, or the wardens would confiscate it, I was told this was because it grows like wildfire and would contaminate the water.
Old 05-09-2008, 18:36   #10
Resident Waffler

Apparently it IS very easy to grow.

I get very dry heels so maybe the moisturiser would be helpful for me.

Old 05-09-2008, 19:14   #11
Beacon of light

Willow, the very best thing for very dry heels is white petroleum jelly......put it on liberally just before bed......socks on and after a couple of nights you will have heels like a young girl.
I don't like the smell of petroleum jelly so i put a few drops of lavender and geranium oil into it.
Try it, it really does work.
Old 05-09-2008, 19:26   #12
Resident Waffler

I'd rather have something that soaks in. I don't like petroleum jelly which just sits there.

Old 05-09-2008, 19:29   #13
Beacon of light

It does soak in overnight Willow.....I have tried other things and they don't seem to work half as well.
Hemp oil works on my hands, but strangely not on my feet.
Old 05-09-2008, 19:31   #14
Resident Waffler

I'll see if I can stick it. I'm very funny about my feet though. I can't bear wearing socks at the best of times and always go barefoot in the house. Probably something to do with why I have dry heels but I just get manky sweaty feet otherwise. Got manky feet anyway!

Old 05-09-2008, 19:41   #15
Beacon of light

I am not keen on socks either, but if you can just put up with them for a couple of nights, then I am sure it will be worthwhile.
I think you are right about getting dry skin because of not wearing socks....and like me you probably wear sandals a lot of the time. I never used to have feet like hooves until i gave up work and could go without tights and socks.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..